Author Topic: Gaming the Game? Top ranking and Fighter vs Attack Mode  (Read 7497 times)

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
Re: Gaming the Game? Top ranking and Fighter vs Attack Mode
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2012, 08:16:25 AM »

The score system perfectly reflects a persons skill at playing the game.

But it does not do a very good job at  reflecting a persons ability a cooking.

HiTech
Bah...
Show me when Bighorn or Mar finished first in fighter.
For me, they are the etalons, based on the skill they handle theese cartoon aircrafts.
AoM
City of ice

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2012, 08:18:15 AM »
One bomber sortie gets you from 1000+ to 300-400. A couple of (timid) sorties in a Tempest/262 gets you to 50-100 fighter rank. Same with a Tempest/P51 in Attack. As for GV, wait till a good spawn camp happens. Voila, your overall rank is now in the sub 50s.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2012, 08:24:57 AM »
One bomber sortie gets you from 1000+ to 300-400. A couple of (timid) sorties in a Tempest/262 gets you to 50-100 fighter rank. Same with a Tempest/P51 in Attack. As for GV, wait till a good spawn camp happens. Voila, your overall rank is now in the sub 50s.

Ha ha ha really? What's the point of that?

Yes Mar is an uber stick.  :salute
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2012, 12:44:50 PM »

The score system perfectly reflects a persons skill at playing the game.

HiTech

If one defines the other then the reverse is also true.

Hence from this we learn that "the game" is perfectly reflected by "the score system".
Ludere Vincere

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2012, 02:28:46 PM »

Hence from this we learn that "the game" is perfectly reflected by "the score system".

Do you play "The game" or do you just fly in an arena?

HiTech

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2012, 02:52:31 PM »

:aok

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2012, 04:03:28 PM »
Do you play "The game" or do you just fly in an arena?

HiTech

And that my friends is THE question that answers all the others.  Welcome to my epiphany.  I realized years ago, I don't play the game, I just fly in the main arena.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2012, 04:19:11 PM »
And that my friends is THE question that answers all the others.  Welcome to my epiphany.  I realized years ago, I don't play the game, I just fly in the main arena.

ya, I use to try and fight in the Main arena, now I just HO         :noid

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2012, 09:10:14 PM »
I mostly fly the game, track my score. I flight strickly fighter unless I get into either ubber frustration or boredom then I will run some bombers into the ground.

With the game, the first squad I was in (for a few month) really pushed for the high score. The trick, among others included getting one base capture a month. The squad CO would almost daily ask if everyone had their base capture. And the easy way to get high points was to up a PT boat, drive it to a town and shoot up some buildings. These two events would drive the overall score.

Whatever...as with most scoring systems it accurately 'ball parks' pilots. Those fighters who get into the top-50 tend to be really good pilots. Hard to game that. Those that finish in the top-20 seem to be without question the best fighter sticks around. Ultimately it is the dueling ladders and squad dueling leagues that will sort it out.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2012, 09:27:05 PM »
ya, I use to try and fight in the Main arena, now I just HO         :noid

I really don't have this problem at all.  Sure people HO, and I will either HO back or try and avoid it, sometimes it works and others not so much.

Either way I really do not have a HO'ing problem in the MA at all.  I consider myself a decent pilot, and I do see that newer or less skilled pilots will HO more frequently than better pilots.  But if the better pilot is complaining about HO's in the first place...why did that pilot get into a HO situation frequently enough to warrant a complaint?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2012, 10:02:34 PM »
Those fighters who get into the top-50 tend to be really good pilots. Hard to game that. Those that finish in the top-20 seem to be without question the best fighter sticks around.

I wouldn't go that far. Getting into the top 20 fighter ranks absolutely requires a skill level way above 'average', but many of the 'best' still can be found with way lower ranks for various reasons.

But then, we would still have to define first what actually makes a good (or even best) fighter in the MA. Surely it's not simply about the best "duellist", because that's just using a subset of skills. ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman