Author Topic: Peabody Staged Mission Collection  (Read 2333 times)

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
Peabody Staged Mission Collection
« on: December 03, 2012, 05:45:06 AM »
13 Staged Missions now available for your research and enjoyment. 12 of them have been updated for use with version 2.28.x of Aces High (the current version as of December 2012). Here's the link where you can find download files, instructions, and preview video clips:

http://techvideoreview.com/FlightSimMovies/AcesHigh/Ah2Missions/Ah2OfflineMissionsFullPage.htm

I'm working on two more, to take place in my brand-new "Leyte" map.
 :salute
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 05:46:58 AM by bbosen »

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Peabody Staged Mission Collection
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 01:52:19 PM »
any chance of a mission being done where you are the only nme against 12 cons? that keep respawning.....

the KI84 vs any type..... a mix bag......maybe being able to choose the type of nme's....or a couple different sets of nme's that can be chosen.....with BnZers and turners (so its not just 51's or whatever) 

I would owe ya one if this could be done.

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 02:53:25 PM »
any chance of a mission being done where you are the only nme against 12 cons? that keep respawning.....

the KI84 vs any type..... a mix bag......maybe being able to choose the type of nme's....or a couple different sets of nme's that can be chosen.....with BnZers and turners (so its not just 51's or whatever)  

I would owe ya one if this could be done.

Well....  I think a lot of those things COULD be done, but the only way you could get ALL of the above would be to learn the mission editor and write them for yourself. In particular, the "being able to choose the type of nme's".  If you want to specifically designate just one type of opponent, I think you would need to recompile the mission with that designation. It really isn't hard to learn the mission editor, and I encourage you to do so. As an alternative, I've published instructions for modifying an existing mission just to designate specific aircraft. You should be able to do it with the information here:

http://askmisterwizard.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4099

My "PacMix01" mission is fairly close to what you are requesting: you can fly Ki84 in that one, versus a wide variety of American aircraft, both "BnZers and turners".
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 02:55:50 PM by bbosen »

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 04:37:31 PM »
Well....  I think a lot of those things COULD be done, but the only way you could get ALL of the above would be to learn the mission editor and write them for yourself. In particular, the "being able to choose the type of nme's".  If you want to specifically designate just one type of opponent, I think you would need to recompile the mission with that designation. It really isn't hard to learn the mission editor, and I encourage you to do so. As an alternative, I've published instructions for modifying an existing mission just to designate specific aircraft. You should be able to do it with the information here:

http://askmisterwizard.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4099

My "PacMix01" mission is fairly close to what you are requesting: you can fly Ki84 in that one, versus a wide variety of American aircraft, both "BnZers and turners".

cc thanx I will look into it.

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 09:33:44 AM »
Update as of 20Dec2012:

14 Missions now available.

New version 2.29.x of Aces High was recently released. Missions compiled for V2.28.x DO run without crashing under AH V2.29.x. In general, there is no need to recompile those missions for technical compatibility. The offline map has changed: Now RADAR dots are displayed for the "bot" planes. I find this helpful!

However, I observed some significant differences in takeoff timing (and perhaps other timing) that compromise some of the events. For example, I would expect opposing sides to find one another in different locations, and there are instances where interceptions will "miss" on the first attempt. Because my missions are generally written in anticipation of this possibility, I've placed multiple "intercept" situations into them, which I expect will allow fairly reasonable use without recompiling. Radio banter (which can only be timed to coincide with the events as they are sequenced in a specific version of Aces High) often will not happen at the same time as observed combat that it attempts to describe in most missions.

Because most of my missions and radio banter are based on historic situations, I've had to "tweak" the timing for a specific version of Aces High for those that care about the best historic re-enactment. For those cases, I recommend old version 2.12.4, since that's the AH version I use when writing the missions.

This is a recurring problem with Aces High, as newer versions are released. Until this version, other recent versions haven't changed the timing very much, which has been a big help to me. Version 2.29.x is different: the timing is really, really changed. Someday I may have time to recompile all of my missions once again.... (sigh....) to optimize the event timing yet again. Until then, I hope you won't mind either ignoring the timing issues or using good-ole version 2.12.4 offline.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 10:11:00 AM by bbosen »

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 02:44:33 PM »
What timing are you speaking of?

Also bbosen, are you uploading the missions?
Then they can simply be downloaded from any arena, including custom ones.

HiTech

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 04:54:35 PM »
What timing are you speaking of?

Also bbosen, are you uploading the missions?
Then they can simply be downloaded from any arena, including custom ones.

HiTech

Salutations, O Great One!

You asked "what timing are you speaking of?" Well, ANY variation in timing can be a problem. Today I was referring to my "PacMix" mission, which flies well under both version 2.28.x and version 2.29.x. However, I have carefully timed a sound file to imitate radio banter describing a furball that ensues when a large group of northbound Bishops intercepts a large group of southbound Knights. I wrote that mission with AH 2.12.4, and the message timing coincided very well with the commencement of battle.

Since the days of V2.12.4 I've tried, re-optimized, and rebuilt that mission with several newer versions. With each new version, there is always risk of a timing change that will cause the radio banter to commence too soon or too late (relative to the actual commencement of combat in the associated sim). Usually those timing changes are apparent right at the start of the mission. It seems that different versions of Aces High launch the aircraft from slightly different locations so that the initial "taxi" segment will complete more quickly or more slowly, depending on the change in distance. In other instances, it seems that there is some kind of a spawn delay associated with either the player's plane, or with the AI planes. The variables often amount to several tens of seconds. In my testing today with V2.29.x, the combat radio banter commenced way too early (about 1 or 2 minutes before the combat commenced).

These changes play havoc with the timing of all subsequent events: rendezvous locations can be out of whack by several miles, bomb drops timed to hit moving ships will miss the target, radio banter commences long before or long after the corresponding event is simulated, etc.

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining; I feel blessed to have any of the capabilities that you've chosen to share. I'm willing to continue re-tweaking and recompiling my missions over and over and over and over again and again and again. But I could help the community enjoy more missions if these variables didn't crop up so frequently.

You also asked if I've been uploading the missions. No, not yet. I travel so much that I usually only keep an active subscription for about 6 months of each year. I'm in "OFF TIME" right now. Maybe I'll come back online sometime in January or February and I plan to upload them all as soon thereafter as I can.

Until then, I've made them all available (including source code) from my website here:

http://techvideoreview.com/FlightSimMovies/AcesHigh/Ah2Missions/Ah2OfflineMissionsFullPage.htm
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 06:11:53 PM by bbosen »

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 06:34:10 PM »
Typically this happens at bases that are not at sea-level...

Even if the spawn or initial taxi-segment is set at the supposed "proper" altitude, there could be a strange delay.
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 11:28:50 AM »
15 Missions in my collection now. I just added a new one, entitled "Bong's 31st Victory, 27Oct1944". It's available ONLY for old Aces High version 2.12.4. It's now the last one in the list visible here:

From the "Bong's 31st Victory 27Oct1944" link you get download instructions, a link to the required, new "Phil1" terrain, and some video clips with previews.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 11:30:27 AM by bbosen »

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 09:50:00 AM »
News:

I have decided to combine my two websites under my main domain "AskMisterWizard.com". Accordingly, the domain "TechVideoReview.com" (which I have been using here) will expire within the next few weeks. My offline mission collection has always been available through AskMisterWizard.com/FlightSimMovies, but I haven't ever revealed that here.

So from now on, when you want to access my "Peabody Collection" of offline missions, please use this link:

http://askmisterwizard.com/FlightSimMovies/AcesHigh/Ah2Missions/Ah2OfflineMissionsFullPage.htm