Author Topic: Oscar - Jack - Tojo  (Read 2550 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Oscar - Jack - Tojo
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 07:37:08 PM »
Of the three the J2M3 is the top priority.
Boo

Of the three, the Oscar should be a top priority as it was the primary fighter for the IJAAF and the plane in which the majority of IJAAF pilots became aces in.  Not having the Ki-43 in the Japanse planet set would be like not including the P-51D for the US plane set.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 03:05:39 AM »
The ki-43 only had 2 .50cals with 250 rounds each...I don't know if that could bring down a p-40 in AH

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 03:57:38 AM »
The ki-43 only had 2 .50cals with 250 rounds each...I don't know if that could bring down a p-40 in AH

That can bring down any plane in AH.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Eric19

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 06:42:55 AM »
P40 is very tough you would definetly want to be close and a very good shot with just 250rpg
Proud member of the 91ST BG (H) The Ragged Irregulars

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 06:53:17 AM »
want to be close

which you would as the Oscar would out-turn almost every other plane. Think D3A that's faster and armed with 50s instead of 7.7mms. A D3a can kill pony's and Dora's fine, you just have to group the shots.

I personally took down a lanc with it as the pilot was on the bomb run. It took about 100-200 rounds into the outer wing to make it fall off.

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 07:23:11 AM »

At 250 out it'll go down just fine.   :aok

Generally, you wont do boom-and-zoom or snapshots in a Ki-43.  You'll have to fly a Ki-43 well...like a Ki-43.  ;-)
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 08:31:26 AM »
P40 is very tough you would definetly want to be close and a very good shot with just 250rpg
It is not remotely that tough.  Ki-43 with insane accuracy could probably down six to eight P-40s in AH on a single clip.

The Hurricane Mk II is also quite tough and I easily downed a fresh Hurricane with just the 12.7mm rounds left after my Ki-84's 20mm had run dry.  Had enough 12.7s left after the Hurri kill to take out a C-47 on my way home.  Ki-84's 12.7mm guns are the same guns as the Ki-43-II's and mounted in the same position.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 08:34:18 AM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 08:59:53 AM »
Yes, but who is going to hold still long enough for the 2x.50s to do their work? The Ki-43 will be used about as much as the A6M is right now, which is very infrequently. The MA is really a LW bird paradise and adding something from early war is not going to go that far.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2012, 09:20:59 AM »
Yes, but who is going to hold still long enough for the 2x.50s to do their work? The Ki-43 will be used about as much as the A6M is right now, which is very infrequently. The MA is really a LW bird paradise and adding something from early war is not going to go that far.

Boo
A6M5 sees pretty heavy use, actually.

As to holding still, who cares.  I BnZed a Hurricane Mk II to death with the guns.  The Ki-43-II would have had a hell of a lot easier time killing the Hurricane than the Ki-84 as it wouldn't have to BnZ, it could just park itself on the Hurricanes six and there is nothing the Hurricane could have done to shake it.

Nobody thinks the Ki-43 will be a common sight in the LWA.  If your criteria is that new additions must be commonly used in the LWA you're in for a lot of disappointment.  There are very few things left to be added, possibly none, that will see heavier use than the A6M5 in the LWA.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 09:25:04 AM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 10:58:31 AM »
A6M5 sees pretty heavy use, actually.

As to holding still, who cares.  I BnZed a Hurricane Mk II to death with the guns.  The Ki-43-II would have had a hell of a lot easier time killing the Hurricane than the Ki-84 as it wouldn't have to BnZ, it could just park itself on the Hurricanes six and there is nothing the Hurricane could have done to shake it.

Nobody thinks the Ki-43 will be a common sight in the LWA.  If your criteria is that new additions must be commonly used in the LWA you're in for a lot of disappointment.  There are very few things left to be added, possibly none, that will see heavier use than the A6M5 in the LWA.

Gotta go with Karnak here.

Getting kills with 4 .50's in a fraction of a second is more than possible...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=90XpJWclilw

and often, while low on ammo or with busted guns, even *I* have done it with 2.

The Ki-43 would be a joy to fly!

If you aren't seeing A6Ms as well as other early/midwar planes you need to fly around a bit more.
In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2012, 11:02:02 AM »
I would love to see the Ki-43 added to AH. For too long the MA and Special Events arenas have missed this airplane.

The I, II, and III models would be great.

The J2M3 and the Ki-44-II would do well in both as well IMO.

Here's to wishing  :cheers:

:aok

Also add the D4Y1 Suisei ("Judy") and maybe the B6N2 Tenzan ("Jill"), then we could run more late-war PTO events in FSO!

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2012, 11:03:01 AM »
I see Zeros in LW. It is like those National Geographic movies where a school of fish are trapped near the surface and Late War Monsters are zooming through , leaving flakes of silvery fish scales where the fish used to be as well as causing those nice little roman candles we all see.

The Ki-43 seems a great addition for scenarios though for MA another limited use bird that fits into the category of Custers last ride. The Raiden/Jack on the other hand should be able to compete with the Late War monsters. But that's just me...

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2012, 11:54:33 AM »
I see Zeros in LW. It is like those National Geographic movies where a school of fish are trapped near the surface and Late War Monsters are zooming through , leaving flakes of silvery fish scales where the fish used to be as well as causing those nice little roman candles we all see.
Those "trapped fish" get quite a few kills.

LWA Tour 154:
A6M2: 149 kills and 416 deaths.  Kill Death ratio of 0.36
A6M3: 456 kills and 654 deaths.  Kill Death ratio of 0.70
A6M5b: 3518 kills and 4023 deaths.  Kill Death ratio of 0.87

A K/D ratio in the LWA of 0.87 for a flammable fighter that can't break 355mph in level flight is not bad.

The Ki-43 seems a great addition for scenarios though for MA another limited use bird that fits into the category of Custers last ride. The Raiden/Jack on the other hand should be able to compete with the Late War monsters. But that's just me...

Boo
The J2M3/J2M3a/J2M5 or Ki-44-II would be more LWA competitive, but I think you are underselling the Ki-43-II and, particularly, the Ki-43-III.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2012, 06:41:05 PM »
Karnak is correct  :salute

Anyone that thinks the A6M isn't competitive hasn't ran into the pilots that can fly them. I find most people fly the Zeke like a kite instead of like an airplane....instantly going for max turn rate in one, even when at that point in a fight it isn't called for.

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2012, 09:15:20 PM »
In warbirds, I preferred the J2m2 to the J2m3.

We need to start with the KI43 and and should get the KI44 before the J2m since it saw service earlier and the fact that they made 3 times as many KI44 as the J2m.