Author Topic: Do P51s breed sucky pilots??  (Read 5357 times)

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Do P51s breed sucky pilots??
« on: December 10, 2012, 11:03:58 PM »
This is not a whine thread to start with, but I was wondering tonight why is there not a dedicated core of good P51 sticks? Its the most popular plane in the game hands down but I cannot honestly remember the last time I was impressed with a P51 that I ran into in the MA, the 2 I do remember Sunbat and Grmrpr that was years ago.

Could it be that one of its most used strengths 'running away real fast' is the reason no one consistently pushes this plane and therefore why they 'P51 pilots' continue to suck in it? I have flown it before and I think its got a lot of great attributes, maybe only lacking in the thrust department, so why do you all fly around like really bad AI in a really good plane??

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Re: Do P51s breed sucky pilots??
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 11:13:19 PM »
I rather enjoyed it in the last scenario.

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 11:15:43 PM »
It doesn't turn well when slow (full flaps), or roll well, also if you just disengaged from a fight and won, it's not like our K4 or D9, it is a heavy mofo and it feels like it takes ages to accelerate, also there's not much of a reward for anyone who would push/fly a P51(assuming you mean mostly D's) to its limits. 5 ENY, even your dora is 15, we make some perks when we win fights :)

Not that perks are really any incentive what so ever, just a thought.

Anyway that's how the 51D felt the times I've flown it. Also if someone sees a super slow pony just out of a turn fight, it's like seeing a low mossie, everyone wants the runstang/easy perks (or that's what I think  :lol )

There are however a few good pony pilots, ran into DirtDevl earlier, he was damn good, BigR comes to mind as well. Other than that though, you're right, not too many good pony pilots.
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 11:15:53 PM »
Isn't SirNuke in your squad?  :) Pretty sure he flies the 51D almost all the time. Though I haven't 1v1 him yet...I think. So I don't know how good he really is but he's definitely good at BnZing if you want to call it that.  ;)

As for your question, for me,because a 51D TnBing is a giant neon sign saying "come pick me, free perks." The few times I flew it last tour, I got picked. Once with Latrobe P38's and once with Twinboom's 110C. A couple of other times in tank town.

It's also rather hard not to abuse the speed it can achieve. Many times I started to dive away in order to gain some speed in order to pull off a turn, only to realize that to the other guy, it must've looked like I was running. Promptly turned around and went back to TnBing.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 11:16:20 PM »
The P51 is a crutch plane.  If a player gets in trouble they can just go nose down and out run anything in the game (and out turn the only thing that can catch it), that usually occurs after they have dropped their 2936 lbs of ords on a hanger.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 11:22:36 PM »
The P51 is a crutch plane.  If a player gets in trouble they can just go nose down and out run anything in the game (and out turn the only thing that can catch it), that usually occurs after they have dropped their 2936 lbs of ords on a hanger.

In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline Ripley

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 11:38:08 PM »
ANOTHER P51 thread?  :huh

While a lot may 'suck', there are quite a number of good p51 sticks. Pand, Paladin3 (and many of his squad mates), Rapier to name a couple I've seen from experience, and while I would rather not toot my own horn too loud I would consider myself an above average Pony pilot as well.

When a noob joins this game hes basically presented two planes: The Spit 16 which would be for the "I dont care if I die i just want to kill something!" minded pilots, and the P51 for the "Getting owned in a new game quickly makes me lose interest in said game" minded ones. Many 51 pilots just make the mistake of never actually trying to learn anything other than hit and run, at least not for a LONG time.

Doesnt bother me any that most people dont take the Pony seriously in a furball. I've caught SO many people with their pants at their ankles when they thought i was just going to run away and then suddenly see tracers go past their cockpit. Ohh the stick-stirring goodness.
Ripley

4th Fighter Group "Debden Eagles"

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 11:51:36 PM »
This thread sucked before it started. :aok
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline BFOOT1

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 11:53:25 PM »
I throughly enjoy my 51 and I don't run from my fightd unless I'm bingo fuel. 51s don't produce sucky pilots people like the 51 because its one of the most popular fighters of WWII. Some of the best 51 pilots I flew with just recently flew in the DGS II scenario.  :salute
-BFOOT1
Member of G3MF
III Gruppe, 8 Staffel, JG52, flying Black 12 (Kuban Scenario)

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 12:15:42 AM »

K4 is just as fast as a mustang on the deck and the LA7 is much faster. The K4 will easily out turn the mustang, and the LA7 has a slight advantage in a stall fight. Any F4u with a bit more E will be able to run down a stang too....and easily out turn it.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 12:25:51 AM »
I rather enjoyed it in the last scenario.

Beat me to it! :)

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 02:45:54 AM »
Pervert, its because of the same reason why you cant see a decent Dora stick from the hundreds you meet every day.
AoM
City of ice

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 03:13:43 AM »
The P51D is an excellent plane that can definitely fight. However, it is a popular plane and therefore the average pilot level is, well, average or even a little below given other birds are more popular with veterans. If you see a D11, A5, 109G2, 205, Spit5 and a few other models, there's a good change that the pilot's skill is well above average and the plane will do more "amazing" things.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Sg11

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 03:17:29 AM »
This question could be asked about many more planes like La7, Spit 16, K4 to mention some.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 03:20:12 AM by Sg11 »

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 04:30:51 AM »
Hello Pervert, this isn't an ankle hump BTW . But I could agree that most pony sticks are 1 pass, and gone. In game till another guy shows: Then it's dive ,and run again. :D Same can be said about the predictablility ,of spitfire flyboys that have 1 tactic. To fly straight at you guns blazing. Dodgem if you can till they out number you! ;) I miss my old 3Dpro stick , man i could Ho, who knows !
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 04:35:56 AM by crazyivan »
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins