Author Topic: iPhone 4 headsup  (Read 3669 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: iPhone 4 headsup
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2012, 12:56:07 AM »
well see my original statement that you claim was that 15% of all apps in the play store have malware.  so far you havent given any proof that your statement is accurate.  and everytime you post something is to basically to move away from that statement.

not trying to argue with you just to be annoying but being somebody that uses the play market then if you have proof that it is accurate then i want to know because it is in my best interest to know.  but if it is based on some obscure document that is long gone then I am skeptical about it.

it is common knowledge that apps do get thru that have malware.  but it is also common knowledge that you must approve the security for each app that you download.  a game should not have access to direct dial or to text messaging, if it does need it then for the sake of security dont download it.  it is that simple.

ultimately you are responsible for your own phone just like you are responsible for what happens to your computer.

midway

Guncrasher stop wasting my time and do your own research. It's out there. Google it, subscribe to tech news etc. You'll get the picture.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2012, 11:46:07 AM »
Guncrasher stop wasting my time and do your own research. It's out there. Google it, subscribe to tech news etc. You'll get the picture.

sure take the easy way out.  make a claim then fail to back it up then blame everybody else for being too stupid to find that researched that "just dissapeared".  mrrippley I dont doubt your expertise but I do doubt some of the claims you make.  and you keep bringing them over and over without any evidence to back them up.

midwy
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2012, 02:50:08 PM »
both iOS and Android are fairly insecure platforms. Under the hood (CLI) they're actually very similar.

I choose android because I have choices in what I can do, like loading an AV app up like LockOut - which apple don't let me do. That and the far better choice in handsets, not to mention 4.1 and 4.2 clobber iOS in features.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2012, 12:45:37 PM »
sure take the easy way out.  make a claim then fail to back it up then blame everybody else for being too stupid to find that researched that "just dissapeared".  mrrippley I dont doubt your expertise but I do doubt some of the claims you make.  and you keep bringing them over and over without any evidence to back them up.

midwy

Google and study. Otherwise stop making an bellybutton of yourself.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2012, 12:46:58 PM »
both iOS and Android are fairly insecure platforms. Under the hood (CLI) they're actually very similar.

I choose android because I have choices in what I can do, like loading an AV app up like LockOut - which apple don't let me do. That and the far better choice in handsets, not to mention 4.1 and 4.2 clobber iOS in features.

The only thing that keeps iOS secure is that all distributable apps are screened and digitally signed before distribution. Android has it reversed, everything is released freely and then attempted to screen - and due to no digital signing the developer can repackage i.e. introduce malware afterwards at will.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2012, 05:38:33 AM »
Here's a writeup for anyone still interested about the OSX/iOS security issues:

http://tidbits.com/article/13461

iOS -- There’s a short version and a long version of the iOS security narrative. The short version? iPads and iPhones are the most secure consumer computing devices available. They have never suffered any widespread malware, exploits, or successful attacks in their entire history. None. Zero. Zip.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2012, 02:13:34 PM »
Here's a writeup for anyone still interested about the OSX/iOS security issues:

http://tidbits.com/article/13461

what do you mean zip, zero , zilch nada.  didnt you yoursefl just pointed out that a virus got past their screening?  and isnt it a fact that thousand of macs are infected by malware that even though it doesnt do anything to the mac it can be transmitted to other users when they use windows?

midway
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 02:15:28 PM by guncrasher »

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2012, 05:53:57 AM »
what do you mean zip, zero , zilch nada.  didnt you yoursefl just pointed out that a virus got past their screening?  and isnt it a fact that thousand of macs are infected by malware that even though it doesnt do anything to the mac it can be transmitted to other users when they use windows?

midway

You have to read correctly - he was speaking about a widespread infection. Even though it slipped past the screen, the impact was marginal. And/or this article was written prior to this discovery which was first of its kind.

Macs are not infected with windows malware because the malware cannot run on the mac. If the mac user has copied files from windows users that are indeed a problem for windows, then naturally the problem may spread. But it's not like macs constantly bombard windows machines with attacks like infected windows machines do.

Many Mac users are totally oblivious to security even to the extent that they believe running windows virtually inside osx makes it somehow 'protected' :) Of course untill recently they have got away with it as virtually no attacks were even attempted against it. Even today the risk of infection is perhaps 0.001% compared to that of an unprotected windows and maybe less than 1% of a protected windows.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 05:58:23 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2012, 11:47:54 AM »
And yet you quoted something that wasn't entirely true.  And the fact that Macs can spread an infection mean they're infected too. 

Midway

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2012, 06:25:20 AM »
And yet you quoted something that wasn't entirely true.  And the fact that Macs can spread an infection mean they're infected too. 

Midway

No, having an infected file stored on a drive does not mean the computer is infected. An infection means an active malware running.

Merry Christmas to all!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2012, 07:25:39 AM »
No, having an infected file stored on a drive does not mean the computer is infected. An infection means an active malware running.

Absolutely correct, but in a larger perspective, if a Mac-owner resends an infected e-mail to a Windows-owner, the malware gets spreaded anyway. If the mail is received and resent with an e-mail program, the malware has been stored in the Mac. IMHO it makes no difference if I get infected mail from a Windows user or a Mac user.  :salute
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2012, 10:39:57 AM »
Absolutely correct, but in a larger perspective, if a Mac-owner resends an infected e-mail to a Windows-owner, the malware gets spreaded anyway. If the mail is received and resent with an e-mail program, the malware has been stored in the Mac. IMHO it makes no difference if I get infected mail from a Windows user or a Mac user.  :salute

If a user is stupid enough to send or open chain e-mails in the year 2012 then it's the users own fault if an infection hits him. Besides most e-mail providers already scan e-mails for malware - at least the ones who earn the right to do that kind of business in general.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2012, 10:51:33 AM »
If a user is stupid enough to send or open chain e-mails in the year 2012 then it's the users own fault if an infection hits him.
I am that stupid.

I belong to a bunch of men who bounce e-mails back and forth to schedule a meeting every now and then. I know of and have tried better tools for that, but then again, sometimes we also bounce messages and comments about other things than meetings. This kind of a board would serve us better than e-mailing, but putting up a bbs for bimonthly usage would lead into nobody reading anything ever on it. Plus it would add yet another thing to follow in the already too long a list. We all read e-mail on a daily basis and with various devices even when traveling, so chaining e-mails is the least effort way for us to go.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2012, 10:54:53 AM »
I am that stupid.

I belong to a bunch of men who bounce e-mails back and forth to schedule a meeting every now and then. I know of and have tried better tools for that, but then again, sometimes we also bounce messages and comments about other things than meetings. This kind of a board would serve us better than e-mailing, but putting up a bbs for bimonthly usage would lead into nobody reading anything ever on it. Plus it would add yet another thing to follow in the already too long a list. We all read e-mail on a daily basis and with various devices even when traveling, so chaining e-mails is the least effort way for us to go.

So you bounce an e-mail from sexy Marissa in her santa claus outfit.jpg.exe? Because that's the only way you can get infected through e-mail. Well granted if you still run XP even a .jpg can contain a payload since MS never fixed it for XP.

You have to realize that having an infected file on a hard drive does not equal to spamming it forward to others.

Any e-mail listings etc. should be done through web based e-mails such as hotmail etc. First of all they provide you with a layer of privacy as you don't have to use your real info. Second no e-mail actually comes to your computer and therefore you can't get infected from attachments unless you actually choose to download and run the .jpg.exe :) Third webmail services scan the contents by default.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 10:58:58 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2012, 11:19:41 AM »
I remember the Blaster worm which sent random material from the infected machine to everyone in its Address Book, even faking the sender. I got the "Last minute Windows98 improvements" text file as an attachment seemingly from a guy I knew. If my antivirus hadn't recognized and deleted the virus, I might have answered to the apparent sender and ask if he had something to ask about it, only having forgot to write the question. Can you tell for sure that such worms can't be coded anymore?

Kotisivuni