Author Topic: What does block 30/50 mean?  (Read 643 times)

Offline skittish

• Zinc Member
What does block 30/50 mean?
« on: December 18, 2012, 05:26:40 PM »
When referring to a modern military aircraft what does it mean when it is referred to as a block 30 or block 50. My best guess it has to do with the technological advances in the aircraft. But I'm sure I'll get a better answer here.
VMF-222

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
Re: What does block 30/50 mean?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 06:16:40 PM »
It just denotes the latest production block of the particular aircraft. The block number changes when any particular part of the aircraft is upgraded.

For example, the left and right DDI's on the F/A-18E and F were upgraded a few years ago, among other things. That upgraded those aircraft to block III.

The F-16 is up to block 60 I think, or some really high number. 
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline skittish

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 06:55:08 PM »
Thanks Wildcat1 kind of figured it was something like that. It was the F16 that made me think of it an article in Combat Aircraft magazine about Greece using F16 block 30's and 50's for SEAD missions.
VMF-222

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 06:59:56 PM »
It just denotes the latest production block of the particular aircraft. The block number changes when any particular part of the aircraft is upgraded.

For example, the left and right DDI's on the F/A-18E and F were upgraded a few years ago, among other things. That upgraded those aircraft to block III.

The F-16 is up to block 60 I think, or some really high number. 

Since the OP listed examples of 30 and 50 (both popular/high Falcon production blocks), I think it's a safe assumption the question originated on something about F-16s.  :aok  If I remember right, in regards specificly to the F-16, the first number is the major block number, and the second denotes lesser (but still pretty major) upgrades to it - IE I think a Block 32 F-16 had a notable engine upgrade from the Block 30, but otherwise was similar to all Block 30s  (the blocking number system for the Falcon has never exactly been universaly regarded as brilliant).
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Buzzard7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 08:14:23 PM »
Right Babs a block 30 may have the P&W engine while the 32 would have the GE engine. SOmething along those lines at least. I may have the engines reversed.

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 08:20:52 PM »
Right Babs a block 30 may have the P&W engine while the 32 would have the GE engine. SOmething along those lines at least. I may have the engines reversed.

The block 30 had the GE.  The 32 retained the PW.  The GE equipped version was known as the "big-mouth" due to the oversized intake.

AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 08:45:16 PM »
Also, later block numbers are not necessarily more advance.  Some were built for different roles or for different countries with different requirements, so they may have various capabilities and limitations that are not always "better" than a lower block number.

That said, a higher block number is usually newer than a lower block number.  Except that production blocks may have run concurrently, and some aircraft in some blocks for some customers were not delivered so they may be "new" in the sense that they have almost no flight time, but have been in storage for a while.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 09:10:40 PM »
The block 30 had the GE.  The 32 retained the PW.  The GE equipped version was known as the "big-mouth" due to the oversized intake.

This was adopted mid-stream during block 30. Not all block 30 Vipers have the "big mouth". Most NSI (Normal Size Intake) jets were sent to agressor squadrons or sold to the Navy as F-16N's.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 09:42:30 PM »
This was adopted mid-stream during block 30. Not all block 30 Vipers have the "big mouth". Most NSI (Normal Size Intake) jets were sent to agressor squadrons or sold to the Navy as F-16N's.

Very true, I should've been more specific.  All that had the GE engine had big mouths.  Some 30's still had PW's, as the 30 was the first block that that had an engine bay that could use either engine.  

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 10:00:23 PM »
Very true, I should've been more specific.  All that had the GE engine had big mouths.  Some 30's still had PW's, as the 30 was the first block that that had an engine bay that could use either engine.  

The early GE powered jets had the standard intake. ALL P&W F-16C's are Block 32, 42, or 52. A block ending in a 0 starting with 30 indicates a GE engine.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 11:26:13 PM »
The early GE powered jets had the standard intake. ALL P&W F-16C's are Block 32, 42, or 52. A block ending in a 0 starting with 30 indicates a GE engine.

Yeah, that's right....  The engine bay was the big change.  Sorry, it's been 14 years since I turned a wrench on one.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 05:34:18 PM »
Also, later block numbers are not necessarily more advance.  Some were built for different roles or for different countries with different requirements, so they may have various capabilities and limitations that are not always "better" than a lower block number.

That said, a higher block number is usually newer than a lower block number.  Except that production blocks may have run concurrently, and some aircraft in some blocks for some customers were not delivered so they may be "new" in the sense that they have almost no flight time, but have been in storage for a while.

Very true, I should've been more specific.  All that had the GE engine had big mouths.  Some 30's still had PW's, as the 30 was the first block that that had an engine bay that could use either engine. 

:huh  :confused:  :headscratch:  :bolt:

<snip>  (the blocking number system for the Falcon has never exactly been universaly regarded as brilliant).

(good info guys, I probabley still won't remember it straight down the line, but still really cool and thanks!)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 05:36:44 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline skittish

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 08:39:15 PM »
Thanks again guys I figured I would get a better answer here then trying to scrounge around for it on the internet.

This is where I started wondering about it the article made it seem that only certain blocks where sell able to foreign countries. The F16 being as old as it is I couldn't come up with a good reason why. Now reading the posts and thinking about it those blocks just fit there purpose or budget.
VMF-222

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 08:58:49 PM »
It goes back a long ways.  Mustangs for example were broken down the same way.  D-5, D-10, D-15, D-20 etc.  Different production block usually incorporating modifications to address what had been learned during operations.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters