Author Topic: Do it right, NOT THIS..please.  (Read 2648 times)

Offline Moelders

• Zinc Member
Do it right, NOT THIS..please.
« on: December 23, 2012, 02:58:30 AM »
What is your target audience?  Because it's pretty obvious that this is catering to the WoW generation of players.  An achievement for jumping a jeep, spraying 25K rounds, bailing out? Really? Are you kidding me?

Where is the historical content?  Where are the historically based ranks (not shiny stars) (based on actual account lifetime skill)? Where are the medals and ribbons that fighter pilots were awarded (based on single acts of valor)? Instead, what we have is a quick-gratficiation "fix" that does nothing to add to the "aura" and WWII "feel" that this game should be aiming at.

I want to be Major So-and-So, that has the distinguished flying cross and two purple hearts for action over enemy territory during tour XYZ...not whatever you think you are creating.

The achievement system, should be the "long term," record of our achievements and would fill the "gap" that is left after each tour ends (since the tour only keeps "score" for a month).  Some of the stuff you have makes sense, such as "Ace," and "shoot down x number of planes," but then award me a ribbon, that is put on my ribbon rack, not this cartoonish crap and star system.  Preface each name with their rank, that is based on WWII ranks.  

Example, I want to pick Luftwaffe as my main ranking system...I should be Leutnant Olds, or Hauptmann Olds in chat.  I want to click on my "awards" tab, and see a ribbon rack, or medal rack that represents medals from WWII.  If you are going to do this, do it right, please....not this absurd stars and cartoon achievement stuff.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 03:24:46 AM by Moelders »
JG5-Eismeer
AkA PapaJohn
AkA Moelders
AkA Yoda
AkA Olds

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: This entire idea is a bad idea
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 03:07:29 AM »
Really? You're whining because a few more host messages popup?  :rolleyes:
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Moelders

• Zinc Member
Re: This entire idea is a bad idea
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 03:08:39 AM »
Really? You're whining because a few more host messages popup?  :rolleyes:

Maybe you should read my post? I didn't say anything about host messages.  Reading past the first line typically helps, I know it might undermine your post count "achievement," but it helps in creating a rational response to a topic.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 03:35:49 AM by Moelders »
JG5-Eismeer
AkA PapaJohn
AkA Moelders
AkA Yoda
AkA Olds

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Do it right, NOT THIS..please.
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 04:37:38 AM »
I read your entire post. Your response to my calling you a crybaby pretty much tells the story of your not understanding where HTC is going with achievements.

Maybe show some patience next time (wait and see)?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 05:09:45 AM »
I find if there's a feature I don't like or am not interested in (Brewster, achievements) then I just ignore them. I neither fly Brewsters nor do I try to complete these new achievements, and I have a lot of fun flying how ever I please.

Remember, no one is forcing you to complete these new achievements.

I've never been someone who thought that score, achievements, ribbons, or awards determined how good someone was. You don't make a name for yourself by how low your rank is or how many awards you have, but by your actions in the skies. Example, someone has a score of 50 from only engaging with numbers or alt, 1 bomb dropping on towns, and gv spawn camping, and someone else has a score of 1200 because they only like fighters and get into every fight even if they die. The scores say that the rank 50 guy should be better, but the people who play the game know who really is the better pilot because they have fought them both in the skies before.

If you enjoy getting a low score though, then go for it! If you enjoy the achievements, then try and get them! If you want awards and ribbons, good for you! Not sure if HTC will add historical awards and ribbons but there are squads out there that do that stuff. In the end, play how you want and have fun.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 10:50:35 AM »
Of course the achievement system is aimed toward the WoW generation. That is the group that is now coming on board, and must have things familiar to them to help keep them interested. It's all about getting and retaining new subscribers. Us old guys who fly for "history" will stay due to the main theme/content, while others who are looking for the "next game" need a bit more to keep them interested. It's just another side game in the main game.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 11:24:06 AM »
Keep in mind that it is beta and these are just for test purposes.  Also, don't begrudge some silly ones that are there for fun.

I do like your rank reward suggestion though.  It shouldn't just be USAAF ranks, the rank rewarded should be based on who's unit the reward was earned in.

Luftwaffe ranks for German aircraft successes
Wehrmacht ranks for German vehicle successes
USN ranks for USN aircraft and boat successes
US Army ranks for US Army aircraft and vehicle successes
US Marine Corp ranks for US Marine Corp aircraft and vehicle successes
Regia Aeronautica ranks for Italian aircraft successes
FAF ranks for Brewster successes
RAF ranks for RAF successes
RN ranks for RN successes
VVS ranks for Russian aircraft successes
Red Army ranks for Russian vehicle successes
IJN ranks for Japanese navy successes
IJA ranks for Japanese army successes

It might be possible to select what rank you want an aircraft or tank to be scored in for those aircraft and tanks that were used by multiple nations.  The Spitfire Mk VIII, for example, might be scored as either RAF or USAAF.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Stigler

• Zinc Member
      • JG77 Squadron Website
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 01:16:37 PM »
Keep in mind that it is beta and these are just for test purposes.  Also, don't begrudge some silly ones that are there for fun.

I do like your rank reward suggestion though.  It shouldn't just be USAAF ranks, the rank rewarded should be based on who's unit the reward was earned in.

It might be possible to select what rank you want an aircraft or tank to be scored in for those aircraft and tanks that were used by multiple nations.  The Spitfire Mk VIII, for example, might be scored as either RAF or USAAF.

No Text
JG77 Commanding Officer
Squad Website: http://www.ahjg77.com

Offline Moelders

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 01:18:40 PM »
Keep in mind that it is beta and these are just for test purposes.  Also, don't begrudge some silly ones that are there for fun.

I do like your rank reward suggestion though.  It shouldn't just be USAAF ranks, the rank rewarded should be based on who's unit the reward was earned in.

It might be possible to select what rank you want an aircraft or tank to be scored in for those aircraft and tanks that were used by multiple nations.  The Spitfire Mk VIII, for example, might be scored as either RAF or USAAF.

This is it; I like it!
JG5-Eismeer
AkA PapaJohn
AkA Moelders
AkA Yoda
AkA Olds

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 01:21:04 PM »
I think Molders is mad because he feels like an adult playing a game now...... :rofl
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 12:28:33 AM »
Its not my cup of tea, but I think overall its a pretty good idea and the majority will enjoy or like getting the rewards and maybe learn some history at the same time, it does not bother me having to look at it.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 02:59:20 AM »
I believe it is impossible to enter into a rank and reward system that centers around nationality without bringing politics of the day into it. The problem does not stem from the reward system itself but the users receiving it taking it and themselves too seriously.

Really.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 03:38:45 AM »

That is not such a bad idea. You can have a rank in each country and choose which one to present, even if it is not the highest - or none at all. Many online games have "earned titles" and the player can choose one (or none) to display above/below his name icon. HTC can even link the country to the skin of the plane you choose. Fly P51-B in RAF colors and you'll increase your RAF rank. Choose USAAF skin to fly "for" the USAAF.

I dont have strong feelings about such a system either way, but if it brings and keeps more players on board, then I am all for it.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 11:29:26 AM »
Yeah, it would only display the one you chose, if any, not all of them.

Would show up in the chat buffer I'd think.

Pilot Officer Karnak: Blah blah blah blah

Flight Lieutenant Karnak shot you down in a Hurricane Mk II.

You shot down Wing Commander Karnak in a Mosquito Mk VI.

Rank abbreviations might be needed.  Also an option to not show other's ranks perhaps.

The criteria for gaining a rank could be reaching a certain kill total, object damage done total, numbers of achievements or specific achievements.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 11:32:36 AM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 12:35:35 PM »
RAF ranks, highest to lowest:

Officer Ranks
RankAbbreviation
Marshal of the Royal Air ForceMRAF