Author Topic: What Really Grinds My Gears.  (Read 3243 times)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
Re: What Really Grinds My Gears.
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2012, 01:59:17 PM »
What really grinds my gears is when my water bottle rolls under the clutch pedal.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2012, 03:27:45 PM »
I think people over 25 are mature enough to know there is more to the game than just HOin and running and dieing, so yes I'm think more of them stick around and do fight.

I would tell you there are just as many mature young players and just as many immature older players.  I think you really went off the deep end with your over-generalizations this time.

And BTW, when I was young I had to walk a mile through 4' of snow at -10F to get to the bus (the long bus... and that story isn't really too far from the truth).
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Daddkev

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2012, 04:41:40 PM »
 :huh :huh :huh :huh Who you calling Mature? You wanna wrassle?  :x :x :banana: :banana: :x :x :banana: :banana: :x :x
God Bless America
Go tell Momm, im flying! and make me a sandwich !
EvilKev

2012 68KO Cup 1st Place finisher

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2012, 04:43:49 PM »
I would tell you there are just as many mature young players and just as many immature older players.  I think you really went off the deep end with your over-generalizations this time.

And BTW, when I was young I had to walk a mile through 4' of snow at -10F to get to the bus (the long bus... and that story isn't really too far from the truth).

That still makes the numbers the same, if 25% of the younger players are mature beyond their years and 25% of the older players are immature your pretty much just swapping these groups as my guess was just a majority (51%). But even with those numbers you'd think you'd get someone to fight half the time. Maybe a simple majority is a low mark?  :noid

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2012, 07:03:22 PM »
most of the horde leaders / generals sound to be my age or older (i'm 37)..

just sayin.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2012, 08:38:15 PM »
most of the horde leaders / generals sound to be my age or older (i'm 37)..

just sayin.

Pretty sure Jayro is....
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2012, 09:21:08 PM »
Nutshell:

Newbs = Fly high, fly fast, run and re-engage, zero understanding of E states, angles, gunnery (trying to stay alive with little or no ACM help or time in-game to practice it)

Sophomores (9 months to 2 years) = Have gotten very proficient at 3 a/c and understand clearly those a/c characteristics.  Still lose to lesser planes with better pilots because their ACM is still very basic

Juniors (2 years to 3 years) = Understand some advanced ACM, understand how to use it in 3-7 different a/c.  Can stay alive for suprisingly longer periods in multi-con engagements

Seniors (3 years to 6 years) = Excellent understanding of most ACM, E states can be judged proficiently, lots of experience running 7+ a/c, win engagements against superior a/c regularly, hold their own in multi-con engagements

Experts (6+ years) = ACM is second nature, regularly turn disadadvantage into advantage and win the engagement, aerial gunnery in excess of 12%, rarely misjudge opponents E state, experts in 15+ a/c, PURPOSELY CHOOSE LESS CAPABLE PLANES FOR THE CHALLENGE and still win engagements, clearly understand that 1 v 1's occur at a decision-tempo much different than typical MA engagements, complete understanding of the difference between "angles" and "E" fighting and can move fluidly between those states of flight/fight under duress.

These are my personal definitions based on conversations with folks that have played in these demographics.  They are up for discussion but again, they're just my opinion and that's worth what you paid for it.  The reason I bothered with it is because its up to the older guys to teach the frustrated, dying newbs something.  If we didn't have someone help us (Ghosth, Rowdy1, Davski, TA57x, Revernd, Dodger, Krupnski, JunkyII, Corky, MugZ, Morfiend, Bunnies (Ardy123), Squat, Waystin2 *countless, countless, countless phone calls to him*, Sunbat <---taught controlled aggression, Grizz <---taught vision, SERaider, SunsFan, Agent360, Bighorn <-----REAL DEAL, Batfink<----my first every dueling bracket opponent who could have ended our fight in less than two turns but "let" me stay in it for 7 minutes to LEARN something then stayed afterword for 2 HOURS to help me.  More recently, Lazer, Scotch, SkyRock <----I mouthed off to him in the DA once and when we 1 v 1'd he CRUSHED me over and over and over....then, helped me for 2 hours.

We can complain about how things are forever and I promise they'll never change.  However, if you see someone flying like a turd, tell them why and offer some help.  They probably won't want it then...but they'll come back to ya.  I did...and there isn't a bigger love muffintic pile it out there!!  :rofl.  Every one of those guys helped me...and I still suck but they did it anyway.

Who did you help today?
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2012, 10:09:24 PM »
Well said Changeup. And there are guys still coming in that look to learn how to fight. These are the guys you see on the boards and in the game asking questions, always looking for answers. These are the guys who are going to keep at this game and become the "old timers".

I hope to see more of them, both the new guys that question, and the old guys that help, they are the ones that keep this game going.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2012, 09:12:20 AM »
Well said Changeup. And there are guys still coming in that look to learn how to fight. These are the guys you see on the boards and in the game asking questions, always looking for answers. These are the guys who are going to keep at this game and become the "old timers".

I hope to see more of them, both the new guys that question, and the old guys that help, they are the ones that keep this game going.

You're exactly right.  The vets are the single, best resource to help others love this game for what it CAN be....which is what it once was... It's about the fight.

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2012, 09:51:54 AM »
Very interesting Changeup. I've been around for 6+ years, but I would say my skills are somewhere between the Sophomore and Junior. Just reading all of that and seeing where I'm at really gives me an idea of what I need to do to improve (whether I can put that into practice in another story  :o ). Hopefully I can improve a bit more now and help out these newer guys learn what they did wrong and what they should be doing right.

:aok :salute

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2012, 10:27:31 AM »
That's a pretty good way of putting it, Changeup.  One source of frustration in the game that I see is a lot of people who are in the first couple categories think they're in the last couple. ;)

I also think it's a matter of applying yourself to getting better.  Not everyone winds up making it past Junior/Senior on a good day.  That's where I'd ballpark my capabilities.  I believe a person can always improve, but only if they apply themselves to it.

My skills are good enough to get me by in most situations where I'm not overwhelmed or thoroughly outclassed by the enemy pilot, and that's good enough for me most of the time.  Not everybody is working toward being the best they can be, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Daddkev

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2012, 11:01:14 AM »
 :huh :huh :huh Do you have a just plain " Crazy " catagory? I can be there leader!  :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
God Bless America
Go tell Momm, im flying! and make me a sandwich !
EvilKev

2012 68KO Cup 1st Place finisher

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2012, 01:02:46 PM »
Very interesting Changeup. I've been around for 6+ years, but I would say my skills are somewhere between the Sophomore and Junior. Just reading all of that and seeing where I'm at really gives me an idea of what I need to do to improve (whether I can put that into practice in another story  :o ). Hopefully I can improve a bit more now and help out these newer guys learn what they did wrong and what they should be doing right.

:aok :salute

Heck, I've fought u!  I certainly cant remember ever beating you.  I'd say you're right where I put 6 year people Latrobe...at least from my view. 

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2012, 01:36:21 PM »
That's a pretty good way of putting it, Changeup.  One source of frustration in the game that I see is a lot of people who are in the first couple categories think they're in the last couple. ;)

I also think it's a matter of applying yourself to getting better.  Not everyone winds up making it past Junior/Senior on a good day.  That's where I'd ballpark my capabilities.  I believe a person can always improve, but only if they apply themselves to it.

My skills are good enough to get me by in most situations where I'm not overwhelmed or thoroughly outclassed by the enemy pilot, and that's good enough for me most of the time.  Not everybody is working toward being the best they can be, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Wiley.

Agreed completely.   Those views don't include pilots who take loooong breaks.  In some cases, me specifically, one 6 month break cost me every finesse skill I ever learned.  Losing your "feel" can put you right back in sophomore mode but the first thing that goes is aerial gunnery.  I was shooting a .085-.095 when I took that break...now I can't get past .055 and aerial gunnery can be the absolute difference in turning a marginal position against multiple threats into a winner-take-all sortie.  I remember a note I got from Grizz that was almost word for word a note I got from Levi....killing quickly because of your accuracy is almost always the difference between landing some and being towered.

Another thing talked about is equipment changes...pilots that go from twistys to pedals etc.  That almost caused a couple folks to quit, me included.  I shaded for 3 months, lol, just to try to get used to it and it liked to kill my love of the game.

Last thing....if people get a chance to go to the DA, do it....do it a lot.  Grab a bunch of guys, find a low private field and get after it.  Any plane against any comer....pick a 200-number vox channel so all sides can visit.  Those sessions helped me more than any single thing I ever did.  I remember the first one I was "allowed" to join 5+ years ago....Grizz, Sunsfan, Agent360, Ardy, Krup, Squat, Dodger, SERaider, JUGgler, Scotch, BiPolar, JunkyII, Bosco, DrBone, TonyJoey and Shuffler.  I got murdered....absolutely destroyed.  Never won a fight and I was flying a 16!  I never even got close to any of their 6's....but it was the most fun I'd had up to that point.  Then, the upgrade that included the I16and Brewster came out and Dodger got some of those guys to the DA canyons in Brewsters ONLY.  One rule....can't ever go above the canyon rim....you MUST stay in the canyon.  Talk about improving your finesse during stall speeds and SA....8 guys per side, in the canyons, in Brewsters???  I looked up and it was 3am.

So much fun...

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2012, 02:53:33 PM »
Jaded.... (14+ years) = ACM is second nature, regularly turn disadadvantage into advantage and win the engagement.........if they so desire, aerial gunnery in excess of 12%, don't care about opponents E state, experts in any a/c, PURPOSELY CHOOSE LESS CAPABLE PLANES FOR THE CHALLENGE and derive sublime satisfaction in pounding more capable planes, clearly understand that 1 v 1's occur at a decision-tempo much different than typical MA engagements, complete understanding of the difference between "angles" and "E" fighting and would rather find "fun" than win at all costs, cares not about score most of the time because a bad score can yield some fun engagements against those who use score to determine ability.

This often means expending 20 planes to chute into the tower for some fun.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 03:06:20 PM by icepac »