Author Topic: Monitor  (Read 951 times)

Offline FBScud

• Copper Member
Monitor
« on: December 27, 2012, 04:08:36 PM »
Bad news: my 17.5 CRT has that lovely green tint which degaussing and messing with the video input cord doesn't cure.  :furious :furious
Good news:  I need to replace my monitor.  :banana: :banana:

So, I'm looking for monitor recommendations compatible with a nvidia GeForce 6800 GTO video card.  I'd like this thing to be forward compatible since I have no idea how long this pc will last (i.e., if it is the video card and not the monitor, I may be building like dhaus).  Constructive suggestions will be appreciated.  Comments on my dinosaur system need not be made.  I already know about that.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: Monitor
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 04:28:30 PM »
I don't know about the video card but I just got a 24" LED Tv with VGA input.  It runs 1920x1080 on my Emachine.  It is best buys insignia brand so I got it at a good price for their brand stuff.

I had a 21" viewsonic CRT before and this one is much better than that.

There are more expensive ones out there but this one is budget minded.

You are in for a nice change that will border on Wow! going from a 17 CRT.

Offline FBScud

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 04:31:53 PM »
I should also have mentioned that I disconnected the video cord from the PC and ran the test screen and.....got the green tint.  hint, hint hint. . . .

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 04:35:37 PM »
Scud, do you have any magnetic or unshielded electronic device near the monitor? Powered speakers for instance?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline FBScud

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 04:38:57 PM »
Not that I know of.  I have a printer near it that has been here for a long time.  The monitor is an old one -- more than 7 years old, maybe more than 8 years old.  (So is the PC, newer vid card though.)  I'm guessing it is just that time.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 05:02:52 PM »
Well electronic items do age just like anything else. Your degausser for instance may be old and overheating more quickly than it used to, or you may have been visited by lightning or surge. Depending on the quality of the monitor it may be worth fixing, but LCDs are cheaper than some repairs might be. I have a little mini-bus type monitor myself. I dont know why I keep it except that it cost as much as my first car when it was new.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline LCAMerciful

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 12:38:16 PM »
If you're desperate for a replacement CRT then just check on Craigslist.. there are hundreds on there that people can't even give away!  This alone makes the CRT not worth fixing.

If you just want something with newer technology just look at LCD panels.  If you want it to be "future-proof" make sure it accepts displayport but in all honesty you should be just fine with one that has HDMI or DVI (with the exception of audio support and connector types both are the same).

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 01:27:14 PM »
And stay away from anything labeled as 'TV'. They're almost without exceptions very poor for gaming use because they have extra signal processing for viewing TV. This causes input lag and other unwanted symptoms. Stick to regular LCD monitors unless you absolutely know what you're buying.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 05:22:09 PM »
And stay away from anything labeled as 'TV'. They're almost without exceptions very poor for gaming use because they have extra signal processing for viewing TV. This causes input lag and other unwanted symptoms. Stick to regular LCD monitors unless you absolutely know what you're buying.
i haven't had any trouble with LED SAMSUNGS  they do have a monitor only 26 inch that is very nice tho if you just have to have one that is not a TV
Flying since tour 71.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 07:16:16 AM »
I have a LED samsung.

I have not noticed any lag, what would the ingame symptoms be?

If its like frame rates I am ok about it, you can get to obsessed if you look for problems in game :old:

I stopped looking at frame rates ago its all relative to be honest.
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 07:24:26 AM »
Samsung televisions add between 250 and 400ms of lag time to the display.  It means what you see on the television happened 250 to 400ms ago.

Many late generation Samsung televisions have the ability to detect a computer DVI connection (the signal is different from a normal television broadcast box) and switch to a "gaming" mode, which disables the processing normally associated with television broadcasts.

In older Samsung LCD/LED televisions, you can custom set a mode for each input of the set.  There is a gaming profile for those sets which you can assign the "computer" input.

The easiest way to tell if you are getting frame lag, from the television processing, is to use a headset connected directly to the computer.  If the sound does not match what is on the display, then you are being subjected to the television processing lag.

If you listen to the sound from the television, it is delayed to match the frame display delay of the television.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 08:58:53 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 08:57:10 AM »
Bad news: my 17.5 CRT has that lovely green tint which degaussing and messing with the video input cord doesn't cure.  :furious  :furious

I've seen a dead or dieing video cable do that.

But hey, I'd use any excuse to replace a 17-inch screen, too!   :aok

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 10:04:38 AM »
Couple of pointers
- make sure the refresh rate is a min of 120Hz
- has HDMI/DVI/VGA inputs
- response time is at least 5ms
- it's an LED backlit monitor
- budget between $120 and $180
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 10:29:30 AM »
I bought a ASUS this summer as my the backlight went out on my other monitor. I am happy with it. vs284H-P I think thats the model, but ASUS has many monitors to choose from and looks like 3 year warranty is about the norm for ASUS.

While looking at reviews for a new monitor, I saw that ASUS named more then once in different reviews towrds the top. But then maybe they were getting paid by ASUS to write the review.

There is  many good monitors out there, do some research, check the brightness, warranty, refresh rates, stands, viewing angle,native resolution,inputs,  etc etc etc

Good Luck
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 06:53:34 PM »
Bought new in 2010 and still not a single issue.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059

I cannot recommend this one enough.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC