Author Topic: Saw my daughter for the first time in 11 years, Awkward cannot describe it  (Read 531 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
About a month ago my youngest daughter called. Haven't seen her in 11 years. I was laying in bed, dozing off, when the phone rang. Got up to see who called. It was from Houston. I also have a niece who lives there. However something about the call was different. Maybe I heard the voice that left the call while half asleep. Picked up the phone and took it to my bedroom where I laid it beside me in bed. There was a voice mail left on it but I didn't play it right away. Instead I just laid there thinking about it. Finally about an hour or two later I picked up the phone in the dead of night and played the message with the only light on being that of the phone's LCD.

It was my daughter. She was getting married and she was planning to get married in the Dominican Republic. Many thoughts went through my head. Probably my original thought is after all these years she needed a Dad prop for the wedding. I played through my head what I would say. "So how would this come about? You have the groom, the pastor, the bridesmaid, the ring, the flower girl but something is missing. Oh yeah, I need a Dad!" That was the thought I was holding onto throughout the night.

The next morning I called a friend before returning the call. She said, "What great news!" That changed my attitude. Then I thought of what a man told me many years ago when things weren't going my way, "Ron, No matter what you still have to do the right thing. Then I thought it over for a few hours of what I would say. My ex-wife has mental issues. She's currently in assisted living. Much of her problems were what drove a wedge between, not just my youngest daughter but my other kids as well. At least until they finally asked the question, "If it's this bad for us what was it like for dad?!" It was horrible. With these thoughts in mind I called my daughter. I honestly didn't know what emotions I would display. However I proudly controlled myself.

Jenn, it's your Pa.

Hi Dad!

She tells me more about her wedding and that she hadn't seen me in so long. Tells me where she's been and what she has done. Then I say, keeping my ex-wife in mind and going for some humor. Honey if you don't mind I'd like to offer some advice based upon my experience.

"Have you thought of giving him some type of ink blot test?" She laughs hard. "Tell him there are no wrong or right answers, well, of course when there is." She laughs some more.

She then said she would be in town on the 16th and would like to get together. We all decide on Cracker Barrel. Now it really gets awkward. No wait the really awkward comes later. We meet at Cracker Barrel. I'm a bit later than the others and come in with just too much going through my head. I'm hesitant and not really myself. But I put a good foot forward and think maybe she will compliment me on my weight loss. Then of all the stupid, awkward things to do, when she sees me I reach out and shake her hand. "Dad, what about a hug." Good lord. I give her a hug think about my really bad intro. Oh but it gets worse, much worse.

Finally we are seated. I sit next to my youngest, the one I hadn't seen in 11 years with my oldest daughter across from me and my son next to her. I tell my oldest, my son, and his wife I will pay for theirs. Then explain to my youngest they need it a little more than her. She makes great money and understands. Her and her fiance' bring their iPad which has all of their pictures. Pictures when they were in France, Peru, Sardinia, and China. She was in China running a marathon. I have their wedding site but I need permission before inserting the link. I, uh, showed them a picture of my red computer and my Jeep in the back yard loaded with bags of manure. Well gee dad, interesting.

We finished our meals and I pick up the tab for my other two kids. We're suppose to meet at Grandma's. First though I need to get some transmission fluid. The Jeep has a leak. So I swing by Autozone. Then head on to Mom's.

When I arrive at Mom's my daughter is still in the car with her fiance'. As I get out she gets out and comes towards me. "Dad, Adam's, her fiance', father just passed away!" It was unexpected.

What do you say? Not sure I could completely grapple with the days events. Here you want to have fun, be sympathetic, make amends, and yet I'm just perplexed putting it mildly.

Not so ironically that story continued. My daughter had to go to Florida to help Adam go through his dad's things. The funeral was on Christmas Eve and then they had Christmas the next day with Adam's family, watching the kids opening presents. She said it was an emotional roller coaster ride. The best way I can think of it is, Death one day and rebirth the next.

I suppose at this point there a quite a few things I could say that would be passe. What I will say is this, when folks ask me what kind of Christmas I had I tell them wonderful, my daughter called.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 10:30:37 PM by Getback »

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline homersipes

• Silver Member
Re: Saw my daughter for the first time in 11 years, Awkward cannot describe it
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 10:43:52 PM »
good to hear you talking to your daughter.  I saw my mother go through her moms death after not talking for almost 18 years, was bad.  So, no matter how bad things get or whats said I always let bygones be bygones, as you never know what may happen.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 10:57:31 PM »

Great Wall of China

Bridge in France where her fiance proposed. The locks are put on the fence and the keys thrown in the river.

Skydiving. Geeze kid!

Peru, Where she ran a race.

Sardinia. Where's that?!

My pictures. Uhg!

« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 11:08:17 PM by Getback »

Offline HL117

• Nickel Member
      • Aircams
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 11:00:32 PM »
Sounds Awesome Getback.................famil y make life so much more!

Whether you think you can or cannot, you are right!

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 11:10:42 PM »
 Tell "son in law to be" that he better know how lucky he is :)

~AoM~

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 08:25:05 AM »
Wow!  Helluva holiday roller coaster ride...
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 08:55:33 AM »
Interesting story, but it leaves me wondering, why all the manure?
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline xbrit

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 10:08:08 AM »
I can relate to this, in October while visiting England I managed to get together with my son.
I hadn't seen him since he was 15, he had just got back from Afghanistan while serving in the
British Army he's now 31.
We now talk by phone almost weekly and we will be going back to England for his wedding in
March.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 10:15:36 AM »
Another question regarding this story, why would someone take a picture of manure in their vehicle?
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 11:42:08 AM »
Dad, you missed many chapters in your kids lives. You shared some bad ones with them but the story isn't over. Just because the beginning wasn't very good doesn't mean the book can't get better. Folks who have had a tough time deserve to have some good times too and the only way to not have them is to avoid them. The invitation has been rendered, take it and live happier tomorrow than yesterday. God bless you and yours.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 12:29:15 PM »
Never contacting people is like HOing in AH.

It takes two. You really can't blame your daughter for calling only after 11 years if you didn't make active effort yourself.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 12:33:45 PM »
Sardinia is in Spain...wait...no....Italy.  ;)

Actually it is a large island to the west of Italy.

Time to rebuild your relationship Getback...never too late. 
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 05:01:23 PM »
Never contacting people is like HOing in AH.

It takes two. You really can't blame your daughter for calling only after 11 years if you didn't make active effort yourself.

I made 4 or 5 attempts. Then decided she needed to find her own way home.

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 05:11:30 PM »
Didn't see my dad for 23+ years, arrived one day to see him "alive" came back the next day to kiss his corpse and lay my flag on his chest.

One chapter closed, another opened.
You loose one, you get 50, i had not spoken to all my aunts and uncles, and cousins.

Anyhow its never too late, untill it is.

Im glad you got to sit down and see her again.
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."