Author Topic: Arena Etiquette Confusion  (Read 6330 times)

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
Re: Arena Etiquette Confusion
« Reply #90 on: January 01, 2013, 12:45:02 AM »
I avoid furballs when I can.

Hate them.

I go for the 3 to 5 cons, vs 2 or 3 greenies.

Makes for alot more fun.
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #91 on: January 01, 2013, 01:01:28 AM »
Nice!  MUZIK meet Redbull, Redbull, this is MUZIK.  If MUZIK decides someday to comeback, you both will get allllllll you want 1 v 1.
*waves* Let's start over, DIE YOU M -- err Hi  :)
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline dbh991

• Zinc Member
« Reply #92 on: January 01, 2013, 06:38:26 AM »
I know you are quoting karnak but to answer your question...NO
if my nme has earned his kill, I get just as aggravated if someone comes in and picks him.....
So unlike the many posts saying that it's OK to enter a 1v1 if you first ask your team mate (and he says OK), you are saying it is not OK (unless I guess if one also asks the con if it's OK and he also says yes, but this seems a bit cumbersome).  Many have said it's OK if you ask first.  But you say it's never OK, I guess.  Unless the 1v1 is in a furball or perhaps close enough to the action or a furball.  Judgement call on how close is close I guess.  This seems a bit counter intuitive for the Main Arena, but I'll admit ignorance about this stuff.  I would have thought helping a team mate in a 1v1 if he asks for help or agrees to the help when queried would be the expected behavior.  He may be in trouble because he is in an inferior ride, for example.  :confused:
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 06:40:28 AM by dbh991 »

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: January 01, 2013, 10:01:08 AM »
-- I am concerned about making the con mad because he may be enjoying "the best fight of the month" or whatever--

What if your squadmate is returning to base, low on ammo and fuel and maybe missing parts, a con engages him with a fresh plane and he asks for help because of his unability to fight? I've seen ranting on 200 after such a situation for spoiling the con's 'whatever'.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: January 01, 2013, 12:31:44 PM »
So unlike the many posts saying that it's OK to enter a 1v1 if you first ask your team mate (and he says OK), you are saying it is not OK (unless I guess if one also asks the con if it's OK and he also says yes, but this seems a bit cumbersome).  Many have said it's OK if you ask first.  But you say it's never OK, I guess.  Unless the 1v1 is in a furball or perhaps close enough to the action or a furball.  Judgement call on how close is close I guess.  This seems a bit counter intuitive for the Main Arena, but I'll admit ignorance about this stuff.  I would have thought helping a team mate in a 1v1 if he asks for help or agrees to the help when queried would be the expected behavior.  He may be in trouble because he is in an inferior ride, for example.  :confused:

no I said play how you want....and then accept the rep you will get for that play......

the suggestions on how to play........ is how I fly......

take it how you want...... :aok

EDIT
and as far as the ones saying it cool to jump in on a out of the way 1vs1......are probably the same that will say its OK to vulch...its OK to jump on a con 10 vs 1......and Honor isn't in a game......

me personally I don't hold much stock in what those people say.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 12:35:55 PM by ink »

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #95 on: January 01, 2013, 12:51:48 PM »

I have always had this personal rule about this, all the way back to my AW days, in the early 90's...

What would I do in real combat?.......

If the player on my side is winning (from my point of veiw) and is going to make the kill "soon". ("Soon" being the key word) I stay out and watch for other bad guys.

If all he is doing is going around and around... taking to long to make the kill, I move in and end it.

If he is losing... I move in to help (If he isn't a known a-hole)

CAVALRY
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #96 on: January 01, 2013, 02:03:13 PM »
So unlike the many posts saying that it's OK to enter a 1v1 if you first ask your team mate (and he says OK), you are saying it is not OK (unless I guess if one also asks the con if it's OK and he also says yes, but this seems a bit cumbersome).  Many have said it's OK if you ask first.  But you say it's never OK, I guess.  Unless the 1v1 is in a furball or perhaps close enough to the action or a furball.  Judgement call on how close is close I guess.  This seems a bit counter intuitive for the Main Arena, but I'll admit ignorance about this stuff.  I would have thought helping a team mate in a 1v1 if he asks for help or agrees to the help when queried would be the expected behavior.  He may be in trouble because he is in an inferior ride, for example.  :confused:

Just let them fight it out if it's an isolated 1v1. There are always other cons to fight.

If your "team mate" doesn't need your help he'll resent you jumping in. If he does though then you're helping him by letting him gain experience :)
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #97 on: January 01, 2013, 02:32:41 PM »
 :noid 7 pages of replies, and no one has given the same answer. :banana: :banana:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2013, 03:51:38 PM »
 :old:

If it will not get your account suspended then its fair game. How others perceive your actions are up too the individual.

No ban no problems with admin... Your call.

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #99 on: January 01, 2013, 05:34:54 PM »

No, you are wrong sir. What you are is not ignorant, unless you start believing this drivel. Yours are the words of common sense.

I don't deny there is some room for the "rhetorical honor" they are suggesting. For example. If you have had a good fight you may do the honorable thing and let your wounded or exhausted opponent live to return to base.

Here's a point to ponder. Many of these fellows are acquainted with the "best" sticks in the game. They have access to the "best" fights they will ever get at the mere request of a few fights in the DA. Do you see them do this? Hell yes they do. And what happens is they get their tulips handed to them repeatedly. Over and over and over and over again. Get my point? They are only happy if they can win.

But do you see the "best" sticks in the game in here complaining about being shot in 1v1s? No.

Bruv, Grizz, and a few others NEVER complain about these things. It most certainly will annoy anyone if they fail to survive this situation, but they have the reputations they have BECAUSE of their ability to WATCH THEIR SIX AT ALL TIMES. And when they spot someone breaking into their fight, that's when the 2v1 or 3v1 fights of a lifetime begin. They win multiple bandit fights on a regular basis because they developed the skills and the ATTITUDE necessary to do this.

You have a choice to make right now, you can accept the attitude these fella's tell you is fact, but by doing so you are engraining your psyche with a belief that there is no winning outside of a 1v1. It may not be a conscious belief, but it will be a pervasive fundamental that will dictate the limits of your performance forever.

Choose your attitude, and choose your limits. Honor past a certain point becomes melodrama.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #100 on: January 01, 2013, 07:06:10 PM »
When GVing, I've noticed myself giving a lot of check 12 calls.

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #101 on: January 01, 2013, 07:32:08 PM »

Be it Airwarrior, Warbirds, FighterAce, Aceshigh2, WW2 Online, Il-2, Rise of Flight or the real world....

Being good in a 1 vs 1 is a near useless skill in any combat Sim/game. Why? because only noobs Fly alone or someone who has no fear many targets... Most all of us need all the help we can get when up against those guys. :eek:

Cav
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #102 on: January 01, 2013, 10:16:22 PM »
 :huh :)
-AoM-

Offline dbh991

• Zinc Member
« Reply #103 on: January 02, 2013, 05:35:17 AM »
If all he is doing is going around and around... taking to long to make the kill, I move in and end it.

Yes, this was the situation I came upon.  The 1v1 had clearly been going on for a long time.  See the OP.  Having numerous times been in a 1v1 and then having the con's squadie(s) step in to help him, no one asked me but I didn't mind and just dealt with the extra challenge.

Some here have accused me of having a guilty conscience and my posting was simply an attempt to justify my bad behavior.  No.  My conscience was/is clear.  

Muzik sums things up pretty well.  If the hallowed 1v1 is so special then why don't those who cherish them so much just schedule them in advance and go to the DA or TA?

I am done with this thread and genuinely thank those who replied, even those accusing me of a "guilty conscience".  I come away from all of this with a sense of disillusionment in the game.  Maybe I need to find another activity.  Too bad though.  Trying to experience some of what it must have been like to be a WWII fighter pilot, hurtling a potent crate through the sky with all of the anticipation and excitement that goes with, was at least for awhile a really neat experience.  Maybe I'll just return to single-player IL2 Sturmovik where all other pilots are robots.  See ya.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 06:23:21 AM by dbh991 »

Offline Kovel

• Copper Member
« Reply #104 on: January 02, 2013, 07:05:05 AM »
If I am patroling in a not crowded area and I see an isolated 1 vs 1 I don't interrup it unless my countrymate asks for it.

If the same situation happens in a crowded area but the 1 vs 1 is isolated I ASK to my countrymate if he needs any help. If answer is affirmative I go in.

If the same situation happens in a crowded area but the 1 vs 1 is not isolated I'll try to kill the enemy the quicker the better.

This is how I usually deal with 1vs1 in 3 different enviroments.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 07:12:44 AM by Kovel »
" I personally led the attack to A1" - Pipz