Author Topic: TrackIR and large TV/monitor  (Read 4476 times)

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
TrackIR and large TV/monitor
« on: January 06, 2013, 01:27:59 AM »
Has anyone had luck using TrackIR with a large TV/monitor?

I've had a TrackIR 5 with track clip pro for several years but never use it because I can't seem to get it to work properly at the extremities due to the sensor being much higher than my head (I'm using a 42 in monitor). I have tried placing it even with my head but on the left or right of the screen but still have similar issues. If I put the sensor in the center of my screen it works well, but is obviously unusable as it obstructs the middle of my view.

Has anyone else had this issue and any luck in coming up with a solution for this?

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: TrackIR and large TV/monitor
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 01:46:39 AM »
Not sure about the angles but is it losing the LEDs at the extremes?  Have you tried putting it at the bottom of the monitor and turning your trackclip so it's pointed right at the camera when your head's at rest?  Alternately, put it at the top looking down at you and turn the trackclip to point at it when your head's at rest.  For testing, you could just rock your headset back or forward, then figure out a more permanent solution.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 05:45:11 AM »
My sensor is " high" to my head but only about 6". The problem is when you lean forward or back..... The sensor sees you as going forward and down or back and up.

I can't over come this but use it to give natural nose over view  ( centring my head high via F10) such that if I need the gun sight I lean forward to both get a natural zoom-in whilst bringing the gunsight into the reticule glass.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 07:53:26 AM »
I wonder if in your case the hat clip might work better.  Maybe even mounted to the top of the cap.

Here is just a guess as what to try.  Another thought is the infrad leds's and sensors have a target range like an ice cream cone.  How big the cone is depends on the leds they choose.  Try pointing the device on your monitor down and your clip up so they are looking at each other.  Then watch the trakir to see how the moves tracks your head movement.  With the powered clip the monitor unit works better for me to be on the side.

Try to using your hand to block one then the other transmitters on your headset and watch which light on the monitor mounted one go on then go off so you might see which one is getting blocked and when.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 10:26:48 AM »
Mine works well on the bottom of my screen. The camera is about the center of my chest. I angle it up and the Proclip is turned down a bit. I haven't used it much, but when I have it works ok.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 10:00:39 PM »
You can put the sensor directly behind you and reverse the clip and reverse the inputs in the software.

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 12:24:52 AM »
Thanks all for the comments, will give them all a try!

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 08:24:07 AM »
You can put the sensor directly behind you and reverse the clip and reverse the inputs in the software.

Never thought of that. is that just an idea, or have to tried it/do it? Clever either way.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 10:05:12 AM »

Thinking outside the box, cool beans sir.
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Stellaris

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 11:36:03 AM »
@randy1 - that's exactly what I do with my TIR on my 30" monitor.  Works a treat.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 01:32:07 PM »
I mount the camera off to the side of the monitor so that it is at the same level as the track clip. I also put it on an arm so it is about three feet from the track clip. I also use a fairly aggressive profile so I don't have to move my head much to look around.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54