Author Topic: P-51 vs. Erroneous Perception  (Read 6279 times)

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
P-51 vs. Erroneous Perception
« on: January 07, 2013, 02:32:34 PM »
Guys,

This deserves a new thread.  Hopefully we can clarify a P-51 perception thing.

Good Pony Pilot:  One who slows down enough to get out-turned/accelerated/gunned by almost every other plane in the set

Is there any P-51 pilot that consistently DOMINATES turn fight planes (Spits, Zeros etc.) not using B n Z?

I have had some good moments in a P-51 fighting Spits on their own turf (dumping the flaps, yanking the rudder over, ACM vertical stall and shoots etc. etc.) but cannot consistently compete with a Spit pilot of equal skill as me, in a turn fight, from a P-51.  Can you? Did anyone in WWII?

Everyone has good moments, and there are some amazing P-51 sticks out there, but I dont see P-51s beat Spits\LA7s at their own game consistently other than Bruv.

Thanks,

Slade  :salute

[Sillness SIdebar]
Bruv can see the code in the Matrix and thus does not qualify.  Bruv knows what every pilot is going to do before they do it and has bullets waiting.  Greebo is VERY close to this.  Others make mistakes once in a while.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 02:42:05 PM by Slade »
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
Re: P-51 vs. Erroneous Perception
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 02:41:34 PM »
God, next midway here?  :rofl

BigR is probably the best pony stick I've run across so far.

but cannot compete with a Spit pilot of equal skill as me, in a turn fight, from a P-51.  Can you? Did anyone in WWII?
Judging by the fact they were both Allied aircraft --- No.

Everyone has good moments, and there are some amazing P-51 sticks out there, but I dont see P-51s beat Spits\LA7s at their own game consistently other than Bruv.

I've never seen bruv in a pony, and if I did see him in a pony, although he is good, he is also smart. He wouldn't try to turn with a spit or zeke in a pony.
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 02:45:51 PM »
stokes (or strokes) is very good in them, as is batfinkV.  There was someone else too recently, but I can't recall the name.  Fought his PonyD vs my Spifire with awesome skill.  :aok

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 02:53:56 PM »
I have got surprised a few times by a few pony pilots in my Spit 8.  Most pony pilots will not stop to play with a Spit 8 at altitude.  When one does it is so surprising you are actually behind the ball a bit trying to catch up to them.  Most ponies you figure they will never slow down, and others you have to work you butt off to close distance and get them locked into your fight. 
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 02:55:05 PM »
Don't forget Rocky!  He is really good too in a P-51.

The context gentlemen.  The context is this: can a P-51 consistently beat a turn-fighter if the pilots are of the same skill - is it realistic to expect this?
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 02:57:31 PM »

The context gentlemen.  The context is this: can a P-51 consistently beat a turn-fighter if the pilots are of the same skill - is it realistic to expect this?

Simple answer to that question:  No.

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 02:59:27 PM »

Agreed.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 03:05:33 PM »
The quoted bit in the OP was posted by a butt hurt Pony driver being passive-aggressive in Ink's thread. The comment has nothing to do with anything other than said Pony driver's misconceptions of what others think good P-51 flying looks like.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 03:12:44 PM »

He is a good shot and good at attacking from a perch.  As soon as advantage is lost for one second, he is extending out.  :bolt:

OlDemon was by far the best (IMO) at slow fighting in the 51D.  Rogent could mix it up pretty good too. 
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 03:13:59 PM »

Ditto.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 03:17:16 PM »
I used to fly the PonyD exclusively and wracked up many a kill in it. The PonyD is actually great at stall fighting and can make many mediocre and noobish pilots scream. For a good opponent it would be a matter of turn into them, attempt a few turns, if they make a mistake press and kill them. And if they don't (the good ones don't) disengage, track out a few Ks, reset and re-engage.

I've killed several spits on the deck going verticle, flaps, rudder, chop throttle, etc but there weren't that good. A good Spit driver will kill a good PonyD for the sake that it out turns, out excellerates, etc, etc. Has the advantage in all areas minus top end spend, endurance and length of fire. I've killed many La7s this way as well, and F4Us, though it is a pilot skill level being measured, not the bird.

My two cents.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 03:30:44 PM »

He gets a lot of kills in a P51

Is he actually good at dogfighting in it though?

Has anyone actually been able to fight him to confirm?  :lol

ALFAMEGA was good in a 51 before he turning into a Lightning lover. BigR is great as already mentioned. TomFool and RaveN can dogfight well in it too, SirNuke is just a noob picker :D
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 03:39:40 PM »
^ Righto, forgot about ole' TomFool he's very good in a pony, ALFAMEGA is a Bomber noob now, and I've never-ever seen rocky do anything but pick,run,and stir (No offense, just the only things I've ever seen him do)
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline blazer65

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 03:42:03 PM »

Sure it can.......as long as it doesn't turnfight with it....    :D

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 03:45:07 PM »
The quoted bit in the OP was posted by a butt hurt Pony driver being passive-aggressive in Ink's thread. The comment has nothing to do with anything other than said Pony driver's misconceptions of what others think good P-51 flying looks like.

The underlining point is true.  To some (I'd even go as far as saying most), if you're not in a sustained turn fight, you're not fighting.  As much as "fighting to your a/c's strengths" is a virtue, many people just want you to succumb to their will and let you kill them.

Consistent domination in turn fights by a Pony pilot?  I don't think you'll find one.  It's not as bad of a turner as some think, but if you're constantly getting into turn fights in a Pony, the only people you'll beat are other Pony's or below average pilots.
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-