Author Topic: New DM for the P-47 Family?  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Bong40

• Copper Member
New DM for the P-47 Family?
« on: January 08, 2013, 10:50:06 AM »
With the last update the Once loved Jug received a New "DM" Damage Model. I'm not sure exactly what that means, and I won't say its ruined. But there has been some major changes in my opinion.
 Alot less frontal Armor/ Engine is oiled Very qickly often with one ping from small caliber guns. Also Pilot wounds are very easy even at very long distance... Few times first ping from 1.0k + get a bad PW. Twice I have landed a oiled plane that showed no damage at all, not a single hole anywhere. :noid
 In flight it seems a little more sluggish that it used to. Roll rate feels slower. And the most Prevalent new change I Feel is in a dive just over 515mph the entire line of jugs now start to shake and Vibrate very badly, This wasn't the case before the update. I'm no expert in the Flight Modeling of these but something has changed, More realistic?... I think the old jug was closer to the actual aircraft. Just my opinion guys <S> :airplane:

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
Re: New DM for the P-47 Family?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 11:04:16 AM »
I fly the N exclusively....have always gotten pw's from 6 shots.....same with oiloil leaks. What's improved, from my few sorties thus far, is no instant fires
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline climber

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 11:16:51 AM »
I haven't noticed any changes in the handling characteristics and honestly I've hardly noticed any damage model changes at all.  I have noticed fewer fuel hits and pilot wounds.  I tend to use the 47N and D-40 for porking runs and hanger banging.  Before the last update I would consider myself lucky if I made it through one pass without at least an aux fuel hit or a nasty pilot wound.  I haven't changed anything with my approach, dive angle, speed, or egress route.  The oil hits seem to be about the same as before and I never thought they were modeled incorrectly.  What I feel were off a bit was the speed at which the engine would seize up due to a piston or oil hit.  There are several accounts of Jugs flying back home with several pistons missing and nearly bottomed out oil pressure.  I can see HTC taking some freedom with this due to the short distances between fields, almost like a burn multiplier but for oil loss and engine seize.

As to your experiences, what variant are you flying and have you made any changes to your flying style that may open yourself to hits on a particular section of your airframe?  It may be worth doing some experimenting.  Let me know if you want to tinker as I love the 47 and am always looking for ways to capitalize on the aircraft's strengths and weaknesses.

I would be interested in hearing from HTC what the exact changes were for the jug series.
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 11:43:32 AM »
from my past month flying almost exclusively the jug, I never took a fire and never lost my main fuel. The Jug is as resistant as a blue plane now, as it should be.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 01:14:24 PM »
I too thought it takes a little more punishment but flies the same.  It never fared well in a head-on and still doesn't.  Since I got some help on avoiding head-ons that is not an issue anymore, anyway with only a few exceptions.

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 02:37:34 PM »
The new damage model is long overdue and a welcome change. Before the update there was a 50% or greater chance of a main fuel leak or fire when hits were scored anywhere on the fuselage by any caliber of weapon. It leaked or caught on fire as much or more than a zeke. Since the update, it seems to absorb a little more damage and in more random areas.

I've nocticed no difference in perfomance.

Now they need to work on some of the other planes with the same type of issues...190D rad hits come to mind.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 04:04:57 PM »
There was no change in the performance.  Any change you feel in the roll rate or diving ability is purely imagined.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 04:24:40 PM »
There was no change in the performance.  Any change you feel in the roll rate or diving ability is purely imagined.
Unless the damage model enhancements include how it handles when it is damaged... anyone notice anything different when missing part of a wing or elevator?
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 04:46:53 PM »
I was missing a good part of a wing a couple of days ago on the M.  I used a click of flaps and that worked.  I have seen big holes in the wings and I don't remember seeing those and still fly.  This old mine does forget a lot so telling.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 04:47:43 PM »
Would like to know if jugs in RL had oil hits underneath STILL had oil splatter on windshield

Offline TwoStep

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 05:11:18 PM »
Would like to know if jugs in RL had oil hits underneath STILL had oil splatter on windshield
Be thankful you're not this guy.

Offline Ninthmessiah

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 05:13:54 PM »
What lilmak said about how the fuel hits used to be is spot on.

When carrying 100% fuel, burning the main fuel tank first was POTW standing order.  Why?  Because if you took a fuel hit at all, it was almost guaranteed to be a main fuel hit.  At which point you would use the 12min of aux fuel to finish the fight and make it home.

I find that the fuel hits are less frequent now, and you are just as likely to take an aux hit as you are a main hit.  Now, I recommend burning the aux fuel first for better balance and plane handling.

As for the engine, I find that jugs are more prone to oil leaks, but less likely to take a total engine hit.  There's kind of a tradeoff there.

Overall, I think the amount of damage the jug will take is the same, just more varied in the types of damage you take.  

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 05:54:32 PM »
What lilmak said about how the fuel hits used to be is spot on.

When carrying 100% fuel, burning the main fuel tank first was POTW standing order.  Why?  Because if you took a fuel hit at all, it was almost guaranteed to be a main fuel hit.  At which point you would use the 12min of aux fuel to finish the fight and make it home.

I find that the fuel hits are less frequent now, and you are just as likely to take an aux hit as you are a main hit.  Now, I recommend burning the aux fuel first for better balance and plane handling.

As for the engine, I find that jugs are more prone to oil leaks, but less likely to take a total engine hit.  There's kind of a tradeoff there.

Overall, I think the amount of damage the jug will take is the same, just more varied in the types of damage you take.  
I actually had a wing tank get hit in the N the other night (I think either you or Gryffin did it :furious) Can't remember the last time THAT happened

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 07:14:55 AM »
Twostep, I bet that guy had more than oil in his pants.  I bet he kissed ground when he made it back.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 08:33:02 AM »
Twostep, I bet that guy had more than oil in his pants.  I bet he kissed ground when he made it back.

:rofl

for sure