Author Topic: Sniper, or Sledgehammer? What range do you tend to shoot at?  (Read 3420 times)

Offline Ripley

• Copper Member
Sniper, or Sledgehammer? What range do you tend to shoot at?
« on: January 10, 2013, 11:27:13 AM »
I'm bored and figured a new thread would be lovely.

Basically, Im curious as to what range most of the AH community likes to fire from. Im sure a post like this has been done before but I havent seen one lately.

Do you prefer Cannons or 50 cals? What ranges do you set your convergence? Do you set all of your guns to converge in a spread or at a point? Do you actually find yourself firing from that range? Would you consider yourself an accurate burst shooter or a spray till they explode shooter? No need to answer all these questions if you feel some of them should be 'secret' :)

I love my 50 Cals. Very accurate and 6 of them is enough firepower to make planes hurt.
My convergence is normally set at a point at either 325, 350, or 375 depending on how well I feel I'm flying/shooting after the first or second sortie.
I will normally not touch the trigger until D400. The exceptions being a con running away and I cant catch them.
I like to take surgical shots at my target. Wasting ammo means less to shoot at the next target. Unfortunately this means sometimes the con gets away with living (at least a little while longer) because I was light on the trigger, but other times (on a really good day), when my aim is solid, it means having enough ammo for 3 or 4 fighters and a flight of bombers.
Ripley

4th Fighter Group "Debden Eagles"

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
Re: Sniper, or Sledgehammer? What range do you tend to shoot at?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 11:37:15 AM »
Let's just say I take a lot of return damage from my own rounds.  :lol

Negative: The closer you like to get the more your kill count will suffer! (If your aim sucks beyond 200yds like mine)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 11:40:22 AM »
Do you prefer Cannons or 50 cals? Cannon, nose mounted
What ranges do you set your convergence? 350yds for all planes except 262 (600+200), and .303 cal planes (250)
Do you set all of your guns to converge in a spread or at a point? Point, except for the 262
Do you actually find yourself firing from that range? While trying to get as cloase as possible, I fire at all ranges depending on situation
Would you consider yourself an accurate burst shooter or a spray till they explode shooter? Burst
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 11:48:42 AM »
I dont have a preference for cannon or mgs.  My convergence is set to 250 for all planes and i generally open fire between d200 - d400, but if someone is flying straight and level further out i will fire the odd burst there way.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Daddkev

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 11:54:16 AM »
 :huh :huh :huh Cannons, 400, spray and pray!  :old: :old: :airplane: :airplane: :joystick: :joystick: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
God Bless America
Go tell Momm, im flying! and make me a sandwich !
EvilKev

2012 68KO Cup 1st Place finisher

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 12:24:19 PM »
Do you prefer Cannons or 50 cals?  Don't have a preference
What ranges do you set your convergence?  Its set to 450 yards
Do you set all of your guns to converge in a spread or at a point?  Point for maximum impact
Do you actually find yourself firing from that range?  Yes but there are situations when presented that I will take longer shots
Would you consider yourself an accurate burst shooter or a spray till they explode shooter?  Burst

ack-ack

"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 12:31:14 PM »
*50's
*500yrds  except like lusche, in jets I set 200 and 600
*point cept for jets
*I start firing when I see 600 and closing, but if they're pulling away I put the sight above them and to the right or left and one wing will get hits even out to 1k
*burst, unless they are pulling away and I might spray some until I get a hit

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 12:43:20 PM »
Do you prefer Cannons or 50 cals? Umm... both?  :D 50 cals if I must choose.  Easier to aim.
What ranges do you set your convergence? 400 for everything except 38's - 650 for them.
Do you set all of your guns to converge in a spread or at a point? Point.  Sometimes I shotgun the 47's.
Do you actually find yourself firing from that range? 90% of the time, yes.
Would you consider yourself an accurate burst shooter or a spray till they explode shooter? If I'm in control of the fight, burst.  If I'm not, I tend to spray.  I'm trying to stop this habit though.

I'm curious about this 200/600 split on 262's.  Are you guys keeping track of which bank is which and using either depending on situation?  I tend to fire only one bank at fighters, but on bombers I let 'em all eat.  I'm an absolutely terrible shot with taters though.   :cry
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 12:44:03 PM »
I like both .50s and cannons.
300 yard convergence
Point.  Tried staggered convergence, I find I much prefer the spreads to be relatively localized rather than shotgun.
Between 200 and 350 is where I do the majority of my gunnery, and I like the fact that they're all relatively tight within that range.  Dispersion generally means at long range, regardless of convergence I'm not going to hit them enough to damage them, but it might turn them.  That's why I prefer the relatively short convergence.
Most of the time I shoot until they're in an uncontrollable state.  If I'm finding myself particularly 'on' in my gunnery then I'll lean more toward bursting.  My priority is to kill the aircraft over preserving ammo.  I tend to fly P47 with the long clip, so that may have some influence on my style. ;)

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 12:45:08 PM »
Do you prefer Cannons or 50 cals?  50's x 8
What ranges do you set your convergence?  Its set to 300 yards except 47M set to 600 for bomber intercept
Do you set all of your guns to converge in a spread or at a point?  Point for maximum impact
Do you actually find yourself firing from that range?  Normally pull trigger at 600
Would you consider yourself an accurate burst shooter or a spray till they explode shooter?  Spray & pray
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 12:52:17 PM »
I'm curious about this 200/600 split on 262's.  Are you guys keeping track of which bank is which and using either depending on situation? 

In a 262, you often have just one single, extremely short opportunity to fire,  especially against evading fighters. But a single hit is usually enough to bring em down. That's why I'm using the 600/200 'shotgun' setup and always fire all.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 12:55:30 PM »
I'm curious about this 200/600 split on 262's.  Are you guys keeping track of which bank is which and using either depending on situation?  I tend to fire only one bank at fighters, but on bombers I let 'em all eat.  I'm an absolutely terrible shot with taters though.   :cry

I shoot the 200 bank at fighters(from their 6, I try and get close because they can't shoot back)  the 600 bank I shoot at bombers because I tend to attack them at angles where lobbing them from afar is safer! :aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 01:10:54 PM »
Ahh ok...  both reasons make sense.

I'll have to revisit all my convergences on 30 mils.  I did get 7 kills in the 262 the other day, but I felt like I won the lottery rather than did anything better than I'd done it before. 
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 02:05:26 PM »
Close enough to see individual rivets, then give them a burst. 
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 02:19:20 PM »
Burst
300 - point
Jets - 200 + 500 - spread
Combination Cannon + non-cannon (DISCLAIMER:  I have takin a fancy to the 8 X.50 in the JUG and the nose of the 38L...straight lasers...unreal)
I'm shooting at 400 in angles/deflection shots and <400 if dead-six
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba