Author Topic: Any rumors about improving the terrain?  (Read 11033 times)

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Any rumors about improving the terrain?
« Reply #345 on: June 17, 2013, 01:49:34 PM »
Just look at WoT. The graphics there are poor, even if the visualizations are good (and even then, only in some areas). It took off very quickly, and has a strong player base.

Why? 1) it was free, and so at least worth a try. 2) A tiered system and arcade gameplay, so the learning curve is fairly gentle. 3) They appealed to a larger target audience; WWII gamers, arcade gamers, tank lovers, German fanbois, 'Murica enthusiasts, Commie-lovers, the Chinese. Their player base is drawn from everywhere. AH on the other hand is primarily in North America.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #346 on: June 17, 2013, 01:53:43 PM »
Just look at WoT. The graphics there are poor, even if the visualizations are good (and even then, only in some areas). It took off very quickly, and has a strong player base.

Why? 1) it was free, and so at least worth a try. 2) A tiered system and arcade gameplay, so the learning curve is fairly gentle. 3) They appealed to a larger target audience; WWII gamers, arcade gamers, tank lovers, German fanbois, 'Murica enthusiasts, Commie-lovers, the Chinese. Their player base is drawn from everywhere. AH on the other hand is primarily in North America.

The difference is, it doesn't take a whole lot of manual dexterity, muscle memory, or quick reactive thinking to be competent in a tank.  A decent flight simulator, not so much.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #347 on: June 17, 2013, 02:08:08 PM »
WoT graphics are not poor. They are not stellar, but far from poor.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #348 on: June 17, 2013, 02:37:01 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

looks awesome.

I have all the latest games......with the great graphics.....when I do actually play a game what one do you think it is....

Aces High......ya the graphics are not the best....but everything else is top notch...

I do understand the tankers in AH wanting better graphics...but me I only fly fighters in fighter mode.....so the graphics are a moot point...... it is all about the Ariel Combat......I dont care what the ground looks like from thousands of feet in the Air :D

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #349 on: June 17, 2013, 02:43:58 PM »
The difference is, it doesn't take a whole lot of manual dexterity, muscle memory, or quick reactive thinking to be competent in a tank.  A decent flight simulator, not so much.

Wiley.

No, but arguably being a good tanker is almost as hard. You need to be more aware of your surroundings at all three levels, you need to be able to quickly judge range, and have some sort of 'feel' for where the enemy is likely to be. And frankly, you need to be more clever in a tank; its the sneaky bastards who park their rust colored T-34/85s next to the rust colored barns that will do the best.

What WoT has done is simplify that down to heavily assisted SA, and an assisted feel for where the enemy is.

Ehh.... they just seem a tad stylized. Hard to point things out in specific, theres just a feel to them; some of corners seem a bit rounded, perhaps some lines seem slightly curved when they should be strait. And really, the metal just doesn't seem quite like metal; something to do with how the light plays off it makes it look more like textured and painted ABS at times. And the color is just too... vivid.

Its clearly not meant to be an accurate portrayal of reality, its meant to be an impression of a specific part of reality; bright vivid terrain, hot sandy desert and exquisite pastel sky, or grey rubble-strewn streets and confining overcast as the back drop for clanking low-profiled machines, flying splinters, fallen trees, destroyed houses, and firey explosions.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #350 on: June 17, 2013, 02:58:40 PM »
Oh it's definitively stylized and over saturated. I don't think that's accidental, but by design. It's clearly an arcade game and not a simulator.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."