Author Topic: Any rumors about improving the terrain?  (Read 11034 times)

Offline Weirdguy

• Zinc Member
Any rumors about improving the terrain?
« on: January 11, 2013, 03:37:24 AM »
I keep finding other flight sims to try out and I am impressed by one thing in all of them.  They have better terrain.  Houses, actual road networks, and fields lined with trees.  If you try out the Wings of Prey demo on Steam you can see what I am talking about.  It looks really, really good.

Even strategy games like European Escalation seem to have better looking terrain.

If it was up to me I would have more maps that had smaller mountains, a lot more flat land, more treelines, more roads (even if they don't do anything), and more buildings per square mile.

Is there anybody else who wants more of this in AH-2?

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
Re: Any rumors about improving the terrain?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 03:44:20 AM »
Hell no, some of us can barely run AH as it is - if you could get all HTC subscribers PC's that could run it then hell yea!  :lol
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 04:40:31 AM »
Someone say Weirdguy was getting us all new desk top gaming computers? My email is in your pm!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 04:45:24 AM by Sunka »
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 08:55:28 AM »
If your primary is eye candy, you'll never be happy with the game
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 10:14:53 AM »
I would much rather see changes to the terrain that more model reality. Gvs should be able to travel faster/better by road then over open terrain. Likewise they should be able to travel better on open terrain then on beaches or near water where there would be more muddy and marshy areas. And so on and so forth
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline smoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 11:08:00 AM »
2 weeks

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 01:06:26 PM »
Lets all do our part in keeping HTC in business.  :banana:

If you're running a computer that was built in the early 00's, go ahead and upgrade so HTC can improve some areas that could attract new customers. :bhead

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 01:40:36 PM »
That "let's keep horribly outdated terrain because some guys want to run the game with ten year old computers" argument is rather weak.  The bottom line is the game would substantially expand its subscriber base by improving the terrain and  game play, both of which has been pretty stagnant.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 01:42:06 PM »
I keep finding other flight sims to try out and I am impressed by one thing in all of them.  They have better terrain.  Houses, actual road networks, and fields lined with trees.  If you try out the Wings of Prey demo on Steam you can see what I am talking about.  It looks really, really good.

Even strategy games like European Escalation seem to have better looking terrain.

(Image removed from quote.)

If it was up to me I would have more maps that had smaller mountains, a lot more flat land, more treelines, more roads (even if they don't do anything), and more buildings per square mile.

Is there anybody else who wants more of this in AH-2?

Good thing this isn't a flight sim...
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 02:23:30 PM »
Lets all do our part in keeping HTC in business.  :banana:

If you're running a computer that was built in the early 00's, go ahead and upgrade so HTC can improve some areas that could attract new customers. :bhead

We don't all have the money to buy a $10,000 setup like yours  :old:  :bhead
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 02:27:08 PM »
Hell no, some of us can barely run AH as it is - if you could get all HTC subscribers PC's that could run it then hell yea!  :lol

Too bad!

You folks are holding up HT in my opinion!

HTC would get new subscribers if they did this and a few other things and you would buy a new computer just so you could be there,.. some one would sell you that... see how this trickles down.... it would be good for everyone involved.

AW was on the server while most were in AW3, maybe they could do that.......But time to move on....while they still can.

Wouldn't it be cool to fly with goggle like graphics? Set in the 1940's...  Common!!!

:airplane:
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 02:29:42 PM »
I don't really spend that much time looking at the terrain.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 02:41:31 PM »
We don't all have the money to buy a $10,000 setup like yours  :old:  :bhead
Hardly, My current gaming machine is 5 years old... a Q6600 with 4gig ram.
I upgraded to a video card from newegg a year ago (Radeon 485X) for $60.

I run in 1080p (1920x1080), use detailed water/terrain/water reflections/bump mapping/1024 shadows/2x anti aliasing--- pretty much everything on but the object reflections, and get between 30-60fps (all depends on the number of aircraft in the vicinity).

I built a quad core machine about 6 months ago to run network based applications and backups for the house.  Cost a total of $129.00.  Utilizing extra HDs laying around the house, that system plus a $60-$100 video card from today should get you into the 21st century.

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 02:49:56 PM »
I don't really spend that much time looking at the terrain.

Neither do I...
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 06:30:05 PM »
That "let's keep horribly outdated terrain because some guys want to run the game with ten year old computers" argument is rather weak.  The bottom line is the game would substantially expand its subscriber base by improving the terrain and  game play, both of which has been pretty stagnant.
This.

I can't play right now because my gaming rig died but I've got four people who like AH but the lack of "eye candy" keeps them away.

I don't have a problem with AH. I love it. I have for over a decade, BUT the new generation wants eye candy (just because a game has eye candy doesn't mean the modeling and game play have suck balls. Just sayin').
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech