Author Topic: collisions  (Read 2619 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: collisions
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2013, 08:18:25 AM »
And fugitive gives us another head in thd sand response to a reasonable question regarding why can the colljsion system not be revisited. How is that ford model t of a car working for you fugitive.?  :bhead

OK I'll spell it out for you, maybe you haven't had that first cup of coffee yet.

I don't think you work for HTC, so how would you possibly know what systems they are using and how they are configured? You don't, so basically your talking out your arse. They may have already changed how the latency is set up, or they have left it the same due to the fact that not everyone has cable or DSL. I'm sure there are still people playing on the old modems as that is all they have. Heck there are people playing on Sat systems because they haven't any wires in their neighborhood.

When you have worked for HTC for a bit, give us a yell and let us know what they can do to better provide services to their customers. Until then, I'll take it on faith that they are doing the best they can for their customers.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2013, 08:28:44 AM »
because there are so many different connections to the game ie modem, satellite, cable, fiber, i would have to agree with fugitive, that it is what it is. you're assuming everyone has moved away from modems, but thats just not the case. there will always be lag, be it by a bad router or a bad connection to the router or any of a number of different scenarios. they can revisit it, but it probably wont change. its your basic networking 101. my company has over 400 servers in my building and sometimes theres lag from 1 end the building to the other. now take HTC and their servers, you have people from one end of the world to the other. lag will always be an issue. issues such as 100 full verse auto negotiate. some people use 100half. so many variations.

they are doing the best they can, given the tools at hand. maybe if you knew more about networking and the issues associated with it, you wouldnt be so quick to assume they need to fix something.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2013, 10:51:54 AM »
all these lag problems will go away as soon as everyone has a fiber optic, directly to the HTC server, bypassing all routers. right?  :D
No, fiber optic isn't fast enough.

We'd need quantum entanglement based communications to eliminate lag, and that is highly unlikely to ever happen.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2013, 12:55:40 PM »
We'd need quantum entanglement based communications to eliminate lag

The cables behind my desk are very much entangled all the time, is that a first step in reducing lag?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2013, 01:07:28 PM »
Vox, you pretty much missed the mark by a wide margin.  Just FYI.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2013, 02:18:22 PM »
Hey, hey, hey,

What do you think about my new 'rule' about collision model ?

:salute
mobilis in mobile

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2013, 02:26:46 PM »
Hey, hey, hey,

What do you think about my new 'rule' about collision model ?

If the lag was small enough where it would not matter, then the current system will already produce the same results because both front ends would detect a collision.

HiTech

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2013, 06:24:10 PM »
Oh FFS, I wish I had never brought it up :mad:

Another 5 years off this forum ahead.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2013, 09:42:08 AM »
"If the lag was small enough where it would not matter, then the current system will already produce the same results because both front ends would detect a collision.

HiTech"

Yes, of course. But when lag is not small enough,  can it be disabled?

mobilis in mobile

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2013, 09:52:41 AM »
"If the lag was small enough where it would not matter, then the current system will already produce the same results because both front ends would detect a collision.

HiTech"

Yes, of course. But when lag is not small enough,  can it be disabled?

No.  The lag is almost never small enough, particularly for people playing from Europe, Japan, Australia or other distant locations.  This would create a massive distortion in air combat tactics where flying through your opponent guns blazing becomes a good idea.  That is a very bad distortion to encourage.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2013, 11:49:05 AM »
Are you saying that if lag has too much then a good solution could be that guns have no effect?

mobilis in mobile

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2013, 11:58:04 AM »
Are you saying that if lag has too much then a good solution could be that guns have no effect?

No.  I am saying the best solution is the one that HiTech already created.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-