Author Topic: Reworking the AH wiki  (Read 921 times)

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Reworking the AH wiki
« on: January 21, 2013, 10:51:22 PM »
More specifically, the aircrafts. A lot of the info is outdated or not even there. Was thinking of doing it myself and maybe some others if they're willing to help. How would I go about doing that or can I at all?  :confused:

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: Reworking the AH wiki
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 11:40:11 PM »
+1

I will help if I can.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 03:07:10 AM »
So there are no technical and historical accuracy police who jump on you for touching the wiki?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 03:20:47 AM »
So there are no technical and historical accuracy police who jump on you for touching the wiki?

To the best of my knowledge their are several of them, bustr ....

If a person post inaccurate material, and continues to do so, I even believe that the individual will
be locked out or possibly banned from posting/editing the AHwiki.... IIRC....

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 07:08:37 AM »
More specifically, the aircrafts. A lot of the info is outdated or not even there. Was thinking of doing it myself and maybe some others if they're willing to help. How would I go about doing that or can I at all?  :confused:

...so other than what TC said, YES you can go ahead and start updating the pages. I think Murdr was the one in charge originally, but he is off playing in his rock band... a real one not the video came.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 08:02:06 AM »
My bad... Like Fugi posted above, YES , any aces high forum member can edit/update the ahwiki

I think Murdr might still be one of the "pillars" as far as the aircraft section goes,  I also believe MrFork to be another, along with several others....

There is also 1 or 2 sticky threads at the top in the Aircraft & Vehicles forum regarding adding/editing the AHWIKI

Hope This Helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 05:18:53 PM »
So aside from the fraternal order over tones being expressed here by you and Fugi.

Who is the review board, or are you and Fugi the administrators to the Wiki pages, or is that the sole domain of HTC personel? Or is the wiki a domain of the AH Trainers and all submissions dependent on their review?

If the wiki is a "post it" then take your chances on your posting being deleted for unfitness WEB site. Why isn't there simply a submission board to determin the fitness of your offerings like skins and maps with interactive feedback or schloastic mentoring? Though this does remind me a bit of scholasticism run by a papal order of estics.

Otherwise it's kind of capricious for an invisible god hand to wipe out your offering after you spend the effort to input the content. That could lend itself to faulty judgement visa personal feelings or ingroup identity. And to threaten questioners of the status quo with dire consiquences for possible future acts of faulty scholership and disobediance would be laughed at under any real world review outside of a pedagogic fraternity's speech codes Tequila.

Who or collective, exactly is the highest arbiter of submission fittness to the Wiki before seeking redress visa Hitech or Skuzzy? Is that you TequilaChaser or Fugi?? Is this sort of akin to Pelosi telling us we can see what's in the bill if congress just passes it? A posters roulette game against the house. Don't bother asking for the used Car FAX......
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 05:48:13 PM »
Heck bustr, to be honest, I do not currently know who is or who might be overseeing what people ( meaning ah community members ) are posting to the AHWIKI.... I just recall back when the ahwiki was first getting started, that their were several who were overseeing/checking what was being posted...
Hopefully someone in the know, will post with more knowledgable information..

The AH Training Corps is not in charge of or over any part of the ahwiki, except for it's own section only.

Hope this helps

TC

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 05:55:16 PM »
So aside from the fraternal order over tones being expressed here by you and Fugi.

Sorry, but I did not realize people would view my posts/replays in such the way that you have taken it..

Cheers

TC

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 06:10:43 PM »
That's just bustr. Ignore it.
-AoM-

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 06:24:38 PM »
That's just bustr. Ignore it.

Pretty much.  Gramps gets grumpy before cocktail hour.

My guess is Skuzzy has the master keys to the wiki since it's on the same server as the forum I believe.

But bustr, you're going to have to write articles like you're explaining it to a 9yo AND you like them.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 06:44:20 PM »
Babs,

Thats OK I got the answer: No one knows.

But, then why did my question warrent anything but, "no one knows" rather than quite a serious and specific warning of dire consiquencies over actions that have yet to happen by someone who dosen't know? I've never posted to the AHWiki personaly, only here in the AH forums.

Not alot different than observing "voir dire" and the lawyers as they ask well crafted "voir dire" questions to perspective jurors to see how they feel about issues related to the accusation against their client. An interesting response to a rather banal question. But, thats how the best work during "voir dire".

Got much more than I barganed for since all I wanted know was answered with "no one knows"..........
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline VIPER

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 06:58:07 PM »
one could go to the AHwiki and read it! but if you are to lazy read below:

AHWiki:General disclaimer
From AHWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
HiTech Creations MAKES NO GUARANTEE OF VALIDITY
AHWiki is an online open-content collaborative source of all that is aviation, that is, a voluntary association of individuals and groups working to develop a common resource of aviation information. Please be advised that nothing found here has necessarily been reviewed by people with the expertise required to provide you with complete, accurate or reliable information.

That is not to say that you will not find valuable and accurate information in AHWiki; much of the time you will. However, HiTech Creations cannot guarantee the validity of the information found here. The content of any given article may recently have been changed, vandalized or altered by someone whose opinion does not correspond with the state of knowledge in the relevant fields.

No formal peer review
Our active community of editors uses tools such as the Special:Recentchanges and Special:Newpages feeds to monitor new and changing content. However, AHWiki is not uniformly peer reviewed; while readers may correct errors or engage in casual peer review, they have no legal duty to do so and thus all information read here is without any implied warranty of fitness for any purpose or use whatsoever. Even articles that have been vetted by informal peer review processes may later have been edited inappropriately, just before you view them.

None of the contributors, sponsors, administrators, or anyone else connected with "HiTech Creations" in any way whatsoever can be responsible for the appearance of any inaccurate or libelous information or for your use of the information contained in or linked from these web pages.

No contract; limited license
Please make sure that you understand that the information provided here is being provided freely, and that no kind of agreement or contract is created between you and the owners or users of this site, the owners of the servers upon which it is housed, the individual AHWiki contributors, any project administrators, sysops or anyone else who is in any way connected with this project or sister projects subject to your claims against them directly. You are being granted a limited license to copy anything from this site; it does not create or imply any contractual or extracontractual liability on the part of HiTech Creations or any of its agents, members, organizers or other users.

There is no agreement or understanding between you and HiTech Creations, Inc. (hereforth known as HTC) regarding your use or modification of this information beyond the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL); neither is anyone at HTC responsible should someone change, edit, modify or remove any information that you may post on AHWiki or any of its associated projects.

Trademarks
Any of the trademarks, service marks, collective marks, design rights or similar rights that are mentioned, used or cited in the articles of the AHWiki are the property of their respective owners. Their use here does not imply that you may use them for any other purpose other than for the same or a similar informational use as contemplated by the original authors of these AHWiki articles under the GFDL licensing scheme. Unless otherwise stated AHWiki is neither endorsed nor affiliated with any of the holders of any such rights and as such AHWiki cannot grant any rights to use any otherwise protected materials. Your use of any such or similar incorporeal property is at your own risk.

Personality rights
AHWiki contains material which may portray an identifiable person who is alive or deceased recently. The use of images of living or recently deceased individuals is, in some jurisdictions, restricted by laws pertaining to personality rights, independent from their copyright status. Before using these types of content, please ensure that you have the right to use it under the laws which apply in the circumstances of your intended use. You are solely responsible for ensuring that you do not infringe someone else's personality rights.

Jurisdiction and legality of content
Publication of information found in AHWiki may be in violation of the laws of the country or jurisdiction from where you are viewing this information. The AHWiki database is stored on a server in the State of Texas in the United States of America, and is maintained in reference to the protections afforded under local and federal law. Laws in your country or jurisdiction may not protect or allow the same kinds of speech or distribution. HTC does not encourage the violation of any laws; and cannot be responsible for any violations of such laws, should you link to this domain or use, reproduce, or republish the information contained herein.

Not professional advice
If you need specific advice (for example, medical, legal, financial, or risk management) please seek a professional who is licensed or knowledgeable in that area.

Retrieved from "http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/AHWiki:General_disclaimer"

Hope This Helps

Viper ( TC )
in game gameid:Viper

~~Avid KOTH Participant~~
also known as TC of the Damned

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 07:08:50 PM »
There are 27 Administrators for the AHWiki.

If anyone has questions about the wiki, you can go there and read about how it works and how wiki's work. It's all there.

To the original poster, you can indeed edit and contribute to the wiki. That's what wiki's are for. The information is all there. You can't really break anything because everything can be undone. Administrators are the ones who can lock or unlock pages and ban IP addresses for recurring malicious edits.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 08:53:25 PM »
There are 27 Administrators for the AHWiki.

If anyone has questions about the wiki, you can go there and read about how it works and how wiki's work. It's all there.

To the original poster, you can indeed edit and contribute to the wiki. That's what wiki's are for. The information is all there. You can't really break anything because everything can be undone. Administrators are the ones who can lock or unlock pages and ban IP addresses for recurring malicious edits.

The plot thickens and circles back on itself over a "simple question".........27 Administrators with banning and locking super powers. Shades of Teqhila.

Any breakdown on them Rolex? Since you have a potential 27 member or "portion of" board of (peer??) review that any player's offering will have to be jury'd by. I am honestly hoping the ghost town of riviting Aces High and WW2 related information and HowTo's is only because many players either don't have the time, or don't feel themselves accomplished in WW2 and game knowlege enough to contribute. At least for me thats my speculation.

Or perish the thought thats one ginormous thesis committee to run afoul of for a cartoon kiddy game that we pay $14.95 a month just to chase each other going piu, piu, piu. Kind of reminds me of how a federal government department will grow all by itself to monitor how many green ducks opposed to purple ducks land in a swimming pool sized pond each year in the middle of nowhere. When all it takes is a remote camera and one county game warden to replace the batteries every month or so.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing