Author Topic: Space Is Big  (Read 896 times)

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
Re: Space Is Big
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2013, 06:25:08 AM »
Space is big, but humans will never know how big until we can travel faster than the speed of light. Possible? Maybe.

MUCH faster then Lightspeed, even with double or tripple lightspeed it would still take forever ;)
and i dont talk about reaching the next galaxy, flying from one end to the other end in our own galaxy
takes aprox 100 000 years with lightspeed. (Einstein's time dilation not included)
Dont even think about to reach the "end" of the universe in the near future :D

R
Gh0stFT
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2013, 06:38:55 AM »

The universe is so mindbogglingly beautiful and fantastic that I wholeheartedly agree with Tim Minchin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhGuXCuDb1U

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Crap....i think i dated Storm

Excellent post  :aok
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline skorpx1

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2013, 06:41:31 AM »
MUCH faster then Lightspeed, even with double or tripple lightspeed it would still take forever ;)
and i dont talk about reaching the next galaxy, flying from one end to the other end in our own galaxy
takes aprox 100 000 years with lightspeed. (Einstein's time dilation not included)
Dont even think about to reach the "end" of the universe in the near future :D

R
Gh0stFT

It'd take 3000 light years to go from the end of the galaxy we're in now to the other end if we did it by the width. I think we'd have to be going at least 1000x the speed of light to be able to zip around in our own galaxy first.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2013, 07:04:14 AM »
It'd take 3000 light years to...

Light years is not a measure of time, and it would take more than a hundred thousand years to cross the Milky Way at the speed of light.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2013, 07:05:05 AM »
Crap....i think i dated Storm

You poor soul... Was it worth it?  ;)
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 07:51:43 AM »
and that there is a god that created it all.. :rofl where was god when he created it?  :rofl simple minded sheeple

I, however, believe that the Universe was sneezed out of the nose of a being called the Great Green Arkleseizure. I live in perpetual fear of the time that I call "The Coming of the Great White Handkerchief"
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline BreakingBad

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2013, 08:24:42 AM »
and that there is a god that created it all.. :rofl where was god when he created it?  :rofl simple minded sheeple

You don't know.  You can't explain the origins of the universe any more than anyone else.  So until you can, your just as simple minded as everyone else.  Put that in your pipe and smoke it, smart boy.   :rolleyes:

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2013, 08:43:06 AM »
"An alternative, favored by those of a religious persuasion, was that A'Tuin was crawling from the Birthplace to the Time of Mating, as were all the stars in the sky which were, obviously, also carried by giant turtles. When they arrived they would briefly and passionately mate, for the first and only time, and from that fiery union new turtles would be born to carry a new pattern of worlds. This was known as the Big Bang hypothesis. "  -  Terry Pratchett

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2013, 08:43:20 AM »
You don't know.  You can't explain the origins of the universe any more than anyone else.  So until you can, your just as simple minded as everyone else.  Put that in your pipe and smoke it, smart boy.   :rolleyes:

Holy crap!  Are you stalking me, because I just did?!?!

:noid

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2013, 08:43:35 AM »
Not wanting to fan the flames, but there is a big, big, difference between claiming you know the answer, and claiming you're searching for the answer and have a theory.

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2013, 01:01:04 PM »
You poor soul... Was it worth it?  ;)

Absolutley....i was 18, wasnt her mind i was intrested in  :O

Im reading a really good book at the moment....Lawrence Krauss'   A Universe from Nothing.... Its about how all the mass and matter in the universe could have come a singular point of infinate mass, as described from an astrophysics point of view.....Basically hes discussing the principles behind the Big Bang......Its a pretty good read if your into that kind of stuff.  Available on Kindle for under 10bucks.  
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 01:40:41 PM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2013, 01:24:19 PM »
Absolutley....it was 18, wasnt her mind i was intrested in  :O

Im reading a really good book at the moment....Lawrence Krauss'   A Universe from Nothing.... Its about how all the mass and matter in the universe could have come a singular point of infinate mass, as described from an astrophysics point of view.....Basically hes discussing the principles behind the Big Bang......Its a pretty good read if your into that kind of stuff.  Available on Kindle for under 10bucks. 

Hey!  That was in the recommended books on my list in my Kindle.  Let me know how it is, I may purchase that.  It look interesting.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2013, 01:32:25 PM »
Haha... Good for you mbailey ;)

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2013, 04:26:57 PM »
Makes me sad that people fight wars with the knowledge that they are dust particles.

The thing is in man's reality, all those clusters of galaxies to him are just dust particles.

~AoM~

Offline Buzzard7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2013, 05:18:27 PM »
This always blew my mind.....There are more galaxys in the universe, than grains of sand on the Earth.

or

A teaspoon of a Neutron Star would weigh as much as a mountain

http://io9.com/5805244/what-would-a-teaspoonful-of-neutron-star-do-to-you
How about one of those Neutron stars spinning at 714Mhz? When my machine is idle it looks for pulsars through the Einstein@home project. Gotta love it. AN object about 14km across making 714 rotations per second.

A massive star has seconds to live the instant it fuses silicon into iron. Amazing how even one of the smallest objects can wipe out one of the larger ones.