Author Topic: the most timid  (Read 28151 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: the most timid
« Reply #150 on: January 29, 2013, 02:02:16 PM »
What we are explaining is why excessive running hurts game play,the community, and the game. What are asking is for those who run to maybe explain it. They can't. You and FLS keep defending their "right" to run, without explaining the rationell for running. If there is a good reason, I could be persuaded to respect it, and the player. So far no such case has been brought forth. Neither by you or FLS.

Would like to actually explain it?  :salute

Ok, I'll take the proverbial whack at it.  While I'm not generally inclined to run from a somewhat fair 1v1, I'm sure most of you guys would consider my MA style timid depending on the situation you ran into me on.

Usually I log in, find the biggest red bar dar I can, and up far enough away from it to get there with alt.  Simply put, my goal when I fly is to push the enemy around airspace.  I'm there to stop them from moving forward, hit the bombers/heavy fighters that are trying to degrade our capabilities, and kill as many aircraft as I can pretty much in that order.  Stopping the advance goes hand in hand with hitting bombers most of the time.  

I like to land my kills.  Has precisely nothing to do with my name in lights.  Why do I do it then?  Because it means I did my job and survived to go home.  Anybody can go into a crowd and shoot at anything that comes into range and rack up some kills until they're picked.  Sure, it takes skill to survive for a long while doing it.  Only an idiot would say otherwise.

To me, playing that way is essentially not caring whether you live or die.  Constantly putting yourself in situations where you're inevitably going to get shot down to me is little different from taking a HO shot.  If you HO enough people, you're eventually going to die.  If you dive into a big enough crowd of red, you're eventually going to die.  Same difference.

Where I get my jollies is trying to figure out how to kill some of them and get away with it, rather than going down in a blaze of glory.  If I am not thinking of my exit strategy, it takes 3/4 of the tension away from the fight, because I don't have to worry about getting out of the situation I'm in.

There are pretty much 4 situations that will get me to get out of dodge:

1) 3 or more bandits with E are looking my way and I have no help.
2) Low fuel.
3) Low ammo.
4) Missing enough control surfaces or have taken enough damage to make me ineffective.  Usually some combination of ailerons and rudder.

I hope that makes some sense.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #151 on: January 29, 2013, 02:03:15 PM »
You see bunnies, it is not possible to be more timid than me.

We need to have our run-away off!!!!

:D
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Tom5572

• Silver Member
« Reply #152 on: January 29, 2013, 02:05:09 PM »
I ran away from your challenge of a run away off.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #153 on: January 29, 2013, 02:11:32 PM »
That's a team sport.  Scores in game are not team scores.  Poor example

What they actually keep track of are the number of studs on the opposing team, not the score itself.  Having played sports at a high level and having a 10 year old son who plays, the kids know who the studs are the minute the game starts.  There are gamers and there are people who need a score to officially declare a victor.   I can tell you like scores, lmao!  

I'm saying with no score in game, people would have nothing to equate their uberness to except how many fights they win or lose AND who is beating them.  Period
hmm....ok. Take away every viable way of tracking player effectiveness, people will still: A keep track of who's best/better  B.do their level damndest to survive every encounter with red pixels, try and find every method possible to kill MORE red pixels. Watch DA lake for a while.....many/haven't worked out how to be an effective cartoon pilot....and they hate dying, so the next step: become better? Nnnnoooooo....get a tempest or an F4u4....human nature, for most
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline SQUAT!

• Copper Member
« Reply #154 on: January 29, 2013, 02:21:53 PM »
Ok, I'll take the proverbial whack at it.  While I'm not generally inclined to run from a somewhat fair 1v1, I'm sure most of you guys would consider my MA style timid depending on the situation you ran into me on.

Usually I log in, find the biggest red bar dar I can, and up far enough away from it to get there with alt.  Simply put, my goal when I fly is to push the enemy around airspace.  I'm there to stop them from moving forward, hit the bombers/heavy fighters that are trying to degrade our capabilities, and kill as many aircraft as I can pretty much in that order.  Stopping the advance goes hand in hand with hitting bombers most of the time.  

I like to land my kills.  Has precisely nothing to do with my name in lights.  Why do I do it then?  Because it means I did my job and survived to go home.  Anybody can go into a crowd and shoot at anything that comes into range and rack up some kills until they're picked.  Sure, it takes skill to survive for a long while doing it.  Only an idiot would say otherwise.

To me, playing that way is essentially not caring whether you live or die.  Constantly putting yourself in situations where you're inevitably going to get shot down to me is little different from taking a HO shot.  If you HO enough people, you're eventually going to die.  If you dive into a big enough crowd of red, you're eventually going to die.  Same difference.

Where I get my jollies is trying to figure out how to kill some of them and get away with it, rather than going down in a blaze of glory.  If I am not thinking of my exit strategy, it takes 3/4 of the tension away from the fight, because I don't have to worry about getting out of the situation I'm in.

There are pretty much 4 situations that will get me to get out of dodge:

1) 3 or more bandits with E are looking my way and I have no help.
2) Low fuel.
3) Low ammo.
4) Missing enough control surfaces or have taken enough damage to make me ineffective.  Usually some combination of ailerons and rudder.

I hope that makes some sense.

Wiley.

But as you said. You will fight the 1 v 1. Nothing wrong with not fighting 2+ rd guys. RTB low amo fuel ext isn't timid. you can fly smart and not be timid. timid is running from the 1v1 just because it's either co alt and equal terms or you don't have a friend or 2 to help you. Flying the way you describe in my opinion is flying both smart and with some balls. Not many will take on the hord alone even with alt. If you want to know what my definition of timid is in it's purist form. Watch Pand fly

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #155 on: January 29, 2013, 02:22:34 PM »
I ran away from your challenge of a run away off.

:rofl :rofl to timid for the timid challenge
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Tom5572

• Silver Member
« Reply #156 on: January 29, 2013, 02:30:05 PM »
:rofl :rofl to timid for the timid challenge

Pretty much, I jump at my own shadow.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #157 on: January 29, 2013, 02:30:52 PM »
Pretty much, I jump at my own shadow.

yeah... shadows are quite scary... :old:
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline VuduVee

• Nickel Member
« Reply #158 on: January 29, 2013, 02:32:25 PM »
I would go further Dr. Changeup and say that it is a manifestation of an increasingly results-focused and egotistical Western culture announcing primarily as an insecure symptomatic mismatch betwixt words and deeds, the newly installed 'Kill Club' section of our forum being a prime example of the value of presentation over content.

It's not the 'score' as such, it's how 'products of the above culture' interpret their defeats in this Virtual Environment.

hmmmm, this feels like an insult

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #159 on: January 29, 2013, 02:32:27 PM »
hmm....ok. Take away every viable way of tracking player effectiveness, people will still: A keep track of who's best/better  B.do their level damndest to survive every encounter with red pixels, try and find every method possible to kill MORE red pixels. Watch DA lake for a while.....many/haven't worked out how to be an effective cartoon pilot....and they hate dying, so the next step: become better? Nnnnoooooo....get a tempest or an F4u4....human nature, for most

You are correct.  Take away score and they'll have to actually fight to see who's really better.  Let them grab perk planes....it matters not to me....as long as they want to fight me. 

Thank you....I'll be here the rest of the week
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 02:34:10 PM by Changeup »
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Tom5572

• Silver Member
« Reply #160 on: January 29, 2013, 02:32:41 PM »
I am quite sure my shadow wants to keel me :bolt:
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #161 on: January 29, 2013, 02:37:46 PM »
I am quite sure my shadow wants to keel me :bolt:
It wasn't me, nor the one armed man.... fluff'n shadow!! :bhead
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Tom5572

• Silver Member
« Reply #162 on: January 29, 2013, 02:44:41 PM »
 :bhead dang walls now I have to run from them too.

Just cannot get serious about this thread.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #163 on: January 29, 2013, 02:46:35 PM »
You are correct.  Take away score and they'll have to actually fight to see who's really better.  Let them grab perk planes....it matters not to me....as long as they want to fight me. 

Thank you....I'll be here the rest of the week
eek....a new Midway has been born
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #164 on: January 29, 2013, 02:59:50 PM »
eek....a new Midway has been born

Now, that's below the belt sir and completely uncalled for.  Truth is, if the metrics to measure score can be manipulated by style, removing them will produce quitters or fighters.  Who cares what they fight in....Ive fought you and seen you fight...perky planes won't bother you either
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba