Author Topic: the most timid  (Read 28153 times)

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
Re: the most timid
« Reply #180 on: January 30, 2013, 06:26:14 AM »
It can be but not necessarily.

Yesterday I was flying a Mosquito against a Ki-84 flown by one of the Nippon Gyogyoukyoudoukumiai. We began roughly co-e but he refused to manoeuvre with me and broke off to climb until he could set up a BnZ-based fight. I do not know that I could have defeated him in a manoeuvring fight but I was willing to try and he was not, he played it safe and arranged the fight in the safest way possible for himself by way of superior climb rate.

He was looking for a kill, I was looking for a fight. He got what he wanted but I didn't. Arguably he was smarter to secure every advantage possible especially if his emphasis is on 'winning' but it doesn't make for good gameplay.  

In my opinion just how much advantage players find necessary to secure before engaging is a good measure of how timid they are.

So true skill is the ability to take the fight regardless of your own situational readiness...advantage or not.  I like that.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #181 on: January 30, 2013, 06:51:03 AM »
The community is making it clear that their flying style is a form of abuse. You, choose not to recognize it as such.  :salute

You aren't the community, you're a vocal minority that wants the game to be less challenging for yourself with no regard for new player retention or growing the community.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #182 on: January 30, 2013, 06:56:08 AM »
So true skill is the ability to take the fight regardless of your own situational readiness...advantage or not.  I like that.

I would say skill is the ability to out fly your opponent by compensating for shortcomings in your aircraft type or situation.

Anyone less willing to lose than to progress is inevitably placing a plateau in their own future path.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #183 on: January 30, 2013, 07:11:17 AM »
You aren't the community, you're a vocal minority that wants the game to be less challenging for yourself with no regard for new player retention or growing the community.

This statement is incorrect on all counts.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #184 on: January 30, 2013, 07:31:05 AM »
True skill is overcoming any and all tactics that any given opponent(s) may chose to use against you at any given time.

Any other definition is more often than not the voice of elitism.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #185 on: January 30, 2013, 07:31:31 AM »
Your second paragraph is interesting. Is your internal purpose to fight hard and try to win in this circumstance or to try and experiment with your ACM and expand your technique?

Both?   The expansion of technique depends on what the bad guys make me do,  I suppose.   I always try to win though,  even when it's pretty clear its impossible.
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #186 on: January 30, 2013, 08:02:27 AM »
True skill is overcoming any and all tactics that any given opponent(s) may chose to use against you at any given time.

Surely that's a definition of the evolution of a perfect skill which makes you invulnerable. Do you think this is feasible?

The expansion of technique depends on what the bad guys make me do... 

Exactly, and there is the validity of it.

I always try to win though,  even when it's pretty clear its impossible.

Don't try to win, try to fly well, the outcome is incidental.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Kovel

• Copper Member
« Reply #187 on: January 30, 2013, 08:24:50 AM »
You aren't the community, you're a vocal minority

I agree with this. I can't see anyone erecting as the community voice. Even the whole bbs is a biased point of view of those who we write here. I've even seen some posts here saying 1 vs 1 is not the only way, and I also think they can not representate the whole feeling of the community.

I only see a bunch of players expressing they are not satisfied about how the community is playing.....  

:salute

Edit: And another bunch of players saying there are others points of view.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 08:59:13 AM by Kovel »
" I personally led the attack to A1" - Pipz

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #188 on: January 30, 2013, 08:25:28 AM »
Surely that's a definition of the evolution of a perfect skill which makes you invulnerable. Do you think this is feasible?

No because there are infinite ways an opponent can fight you if you break it down to a matter of maths, geometry and physics. But it is an ambition one can aspire to indefinitely.

I don't like elitism in this game, I find it is like a cancer that slowly sucks the life out of the arena. It is the diversity that keeps me entertained and keeps the arena alive. Elitism is in fact the plateau that halts progress, nothing else.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Kovel

• Copper Member
« Reply #189 on: January 30, 2013, 08:33:05 AM »

It is the diversity that keeps me entertained and keeps the arena alive.

Same here. Finding "anything" in the MA is what I really like. I respect people who want an arena biased towards 1 vs 1 fights, but I want to express that for me its just another leg of the fun table.

Edit: Trying my best to not porking english language
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 08:38:13 AM by Kovel »

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #190 on: January 30, 2013, 08:47:07 AM »
I can understand your english perfectly

Where are you from Kovel?

Offline Kovel

• Copper Member
« Reply #191 on: January 30, 2013, 08:50:36 AM »
Spain.

I make mistakes writting it. I try my best though as a respect towards who is reading  :salute

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #192 on: January 30, 2013, 08:51:46 AM »
Gracias!

that is all my Spanish...

Cerveza perhaps, if I got that right

Offline Kovel

• Copper Member
« Reply #193 on: January 30, 2013, 08:54:24 AM »
If you drink it as well as you write it....you are fine  ;)

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #194 on: January 30, 2013, 10:03:59 AM »
This statement is incorrect on all counts.  :salute

No its not.  You are not the entire community.  You are vinkman.

My opinion on this thread and the direction it has taken is this :   I fight to the death just as INK states he does.  I may not fly directly into 30 red guys as he claims, but none the less i fight.  When I am in the MA i do not expect everyone to turn with me.  People have their own styles to flying.  If someone BnZs me or "picks" me it does aggravate me.  Still i am not going to blast them for doing so.  You shouldn't really sit here and argue the fact that some people sit at 30k and never fight.  It is pointless and you wont get anywhere with it.  Ignore it and move on. 
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek