Author Topic: Historical: 7 kills in P-51  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Tazz69

• Zinc Member
Historical: 7 kills in P-51
« on: January 31, 2013, 11:54:10 PM »
I noticed that the achievement 'Historical: Shoot down 7 planes while flying the P-51', is not working. I shot down several a/c while flying a P-51D and no kills have registered in the achievement bar. I also flew B-17's to the enemy strats and dropped bombs on their HQ, but did not have the achievement awarded for doing so, unless it means I have to destroy HQ? But it just says 'Drop a bomb on an enemy HQ'.

Lastly, I have a 2 part question.

1: What vehicle would be counted as a 'British Vehicle'?

2: What is a 'US Royal Air Force' plane? Does this mean that all RAF planes? or is it a typo?

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Historical: 7 kills in P-51
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 04:39:08 AM »
I believe it is supposed to be in a single sortie. The actual event this achievement memorializes took place over my wife's home town.  :aok

Have not tried the bomb HQ achievement since the new server went in, but it was working in the first version. Did you actually hit the big grey building?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 05:03:20 AM »
The RAF (and FAA) used most of AH's US planeset during WW2. They didn't use the B-29, P-38s, the SBD and some variants like the P-47M and N, but pretty much everything else. What is the context? I've not seen that achievement.

Offhand the only thing I can think of that might count in AH as a British vehicle is the Sherman Firefly. Technically it is an American tank modified to take a British gun.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 07:49:34 AM »

2: What is a 'US Royal Air Force' plane? Does this mean that all RAF planes? or is it a typo?

1. Sherman VC Firefly eh

2. No idea what your talking aboot.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 10:59:00 AM »
The achievement is not "Shoot down 7 planes while flying a P-51", it is "Shoot down 7 planes in a sortie while flying a P-51".  Every time your sortie ends, the counter gets reset to zero.  The only time you will see the progress bar move is while you are still in the sortie.  I'll clean up the description to make it more clear.

The US part was a cut and paste typo on the first level of that achievement.  I've fixed it for the next host change.

The Firefly is the sole British tank right now.  As far as aircraft and vehicle nationalities go, I am limited to categorizing each plane or vehicle to a sole country even though it may have had multiple countries operating it.  So it will be whoever was the primary operator regardless of country of manufacture.

The bomb HQ was bugged and should be fixed as of this morning.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 12:33:32 PM »
I noticed that the achievement 'Historical: Shoot down 7 planes while flying the P-51', is not working. I shot down several a/c while flying a P-51D and no kills have registered in the achievement bar. I also flew B-17's to the enemy strats and dropped bombs on their HQ, but did not have the achievement awarded for doing so, unless it means I have to destroy HQ? But it just says 'Drop a bomb on an enemy HQ'.

Lastly, I have a 2 part question.

US-Manufactured and Lended/Leased to the RAF?... Still doesn't seem right, as there weren't many planes made in the US exclusively for use by the RAF.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 02:04:42 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 12:52:34 PM »
The Boston is an American made plane that is classified as British in the game.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 02:38:29 PM »
The MkIII is one of the few aircraft made in the USA to fill and order specificly for the RAF (although many consider it not unique enough to be classified as it's own individual make and model, seperate from the rest of the Havocs), but the RAF also (and Russia) recieved a number of A-20 varients not exclusively made for that country.

OffTopic:  I've always been curious though, what exactly differenciates a Boston III from an A-20C?  Is it just a slightly different engine or defensive guns on the same mounts?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 02:40:56 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 03:52:03 PM »

Any one disabled by Lucas.........

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 06:34:25 PM »
Found this very interesting and informative today.  http://www.americancombatplanes.com/a20_1.html  Turns out many Havocs and it's prototypes were built at Douglas in Santa Monica, just a couple miles from where I work. 

It was the A-20B I was thinking about, and definetley different provisions.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 06:39:57 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Tazz69

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 05:58:33 AM »
Rgr that gents, thank you   :salute

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 12:41:58 PM »
Those images are wrong.

Here's a little background. A little long but it all ties back at the bottom.

The DB-7 was a French bomber. This was the first variant made, because at the time the US was isolationist. Hence the DB designation ("Douglas Bomber") rather than the later US Army designation A-20. Some months after the French order the Army got in on the deal as well and the designation A-20 was assigned to it. For the first 2 years of service it had dual designations. The DB-7 used 1100hp engines and the second order the French placed upped this to 1200hp engines. The DB-7A upped this to 1600hp engines, same as being used in the Army variant, the A-20A. It was a seamless change. The French ordered more and more and more DB-7s, but only some 70 or so were shipped. Not even all of those were uncrated and assembled before the French invasion. The remainder of the order was diverted to Great Britain. They also took over some Belgian DB-7s as Belgium capitulated.

The Brits, interested in the airframe, requested their own version, with changes to the internal systems and instrumentation (as they seemed to stipulate in a lot of their orders, no doubt for logistics with fuel systems and hydraulics, etc).

The Belgium shipment was underpowered and used as trainers. These were designated Boston I's. The French shipment was re-packed with British gear and guns because it had more horsepower (I assume the 1200hp engines). These were Boston II's.

The name Havoc was ultimately given during the BoB to Boston II's which was armed with 4x .303s and sent out as a night fighter. Yes, night fighter with .303s. It happened a lot, actually. That is how the later marks got the "Havoc" designation.

Back to day bombers, though: The Brits had already heard of the French DB-7A order and on paper it looked good. They ordered their own set, but with British instruments and internal equipment as I mentioned. This became the DB-7B. By the time any from this order had been delivered, the Brits had already given the other planes the name Boston I and Boston II, so this became their Boston III. The first Boston IIIs arrived in England in late August 1941. The first squadron to recieve them wasn't operational with them until the end of that year.

On the US Army side:

The initial A-20 run for the Army wasn't very useful. Many were converted to night fighters. Many more converted to recon planes. Then came the A-20A. The main change was ditching a failed turbosupercharger and going with the same engine as on the DB-7A (1200hp). Armament was 4x .30cal in the nose, and one tunnel gun and one dorsal gun firing aft. Bomb load was only 1100 lbs and range was only 650mi. That's not much more range than spitfire1s and 109Es. The initial order was for about 150 planes.

The A-20B was really an experimental testbed for turrets, but those were scrapped and it went back to basically an A-20A layout (not quite, more on this below), except with 2x .50cal in the nose, and 1 .50cal for the rear gunner. The engines were bumped up to 1600hp. This plane could carry aux fuel tanks to extend ferry range. Previous planes had such short range as to require being shipped to most places and assembled rather than ferried, so perhaps it was to reduce this problem. Because this was actually based more on the DB-7A design than the A-20A, for unknown reasons the fuel tanks weren't self sealing and the armor protection plates were greatly reduced. Perhaps tons of surplus left over from the cancelled French orders? Of the 1000 A-20Bs ordered, under 700 were made and almost all of those were unceremoniously dumped on the Soviets for Lend-Lease. It was felt to be inferior to the A-20A. The Army didn't want it.

With the A-20C, the British and US variants finally reached equality. It had self sealing tanks, additional armor, and the same 1600hp engines. A few mph slower than the A-20B, but with .30cal in the nose. Under 1000 were made. In british service the A-20C was given the same designation Boston III or IIIa (which differed only in electrical systems)

So, as you can see there are 2 main facts to take from this: The Brit variant is really the DB-7B. The A-20C is exactly the same as the DB-7B. Therefore our British Boston III is exactly the same as the A-20C. Same plane. Same specs. Second to take from this is that the Boston in-game is really a mid-war plane which became more common only after 1942. Its top speed of 350mph precludes it from being used in any early war substitution setups or scenarios due to its top speed being faster than most early war planes can go on WEP.

P.S. Interesting fact: The A-20G is actually slower than the Boston III because of all the increases in weight. It more than made up for the loss in speed with overall capability, but most folks in this game probably wouldn't think about it being slower by some 15-20mph or so.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 07:30:01 AM »
I have seen what little difference a 100 mph advantage makes, which is precisely why most people don't have the patience to 'catch' someone that they are really much faster than.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 09:09:19 AM »
I have seen what little difference a 100 mph advantage makes, which is precisely why most people don't have the patience to 'catch' someone that they are really much faster than.

at edge of icon range 6k yds, it would take 2.03 minutes.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 06:49:58 AM »
Found this very interesting and informative today.  http://www.americancombatplanes.com/a20_1.html  Turns out many Havocs and it's prototypes were built at Douglas in Santa Monica, just a couple miles from where I work. 

(Image removed from quote.)  (Image removed from quote.)

More info here http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=186
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>