Author Topic: Startup  (Read 3368 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Startup
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 11:20:10 AM »
You are right, the DVD is too light to be a paper weight.  Hmm,...give me some time to try and find a use for it, because as an operating system, it fails.

Too technical? :D

You're way off times. Win8 was a download not a dvd.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 12:23:32 PM »
You're way off times. Win8 was a download not a dvd.

Really?  So this DVD is a blank disc?

How would one go about installing Windows 8 on a new computer build?  Osmosis? :D

Of course, the DVD has to be a data disc as Windows 8 cannot play a video disc, out of the box, like Windows 7 can (one of the many upgrade changes Microsoft made....guess it made the OS less bloated). :)
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 12:28:14 PM »
Really?  So this DVD is a blank disc?

How would one go about installing Windows 8 on a new computer build?  Osmosis? :D

Of course, the DVD has to be a data disc as Windows 8 cannot play a video disc, out of the box, like Windows 7 can (one of the many upgrade changes Microsoft made....guess it made the OS less bloated). :)
Clarification: We're talking about the 40 dollar deal here, not the retail product from the shop.

You download it and then opt to install it straight away or dump it on a bootable USB stick / burn DVD. I've never played a single 'video disc' on my pc so that doesn't bother me one bit and even if it did it's simply a matter of downloading an app for it. Windows can't play flash out of the box either and still most people have managed to do it.

How would you install Windows from a video disc anyway? :D
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 12:38:28 PM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 01:08:47 PM »
Clarification: We're talking about the 40 dollar deal here, not the retail product from the shop.

You download it and then opt to install it straight away or dump it on a bootable USB stick / burn DVD. I've never played a single 'video disc' on my pc so that doesn't bother me one bit and even if it did it's simply a matter of downloading an app for it. Windows can't play flash out of the box either and still most people have managed to do it.

How would you install Windows from a video disc anyway? :D

Ok, $40.00 deal.

I would not install it no matter what media or format it came was, but I am still trying to figure out what the DVD would be good for. :)

I'll wait to see if they actually do a decent desktop user interface in the next version and if they remove many of the invasive watchdogs as well.  If they do not remove any of the watch dogs, I'll be content to carry on with what I have.  It's not like I am missing anything.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 01:12:06 PM »
CCleaner, besides being handy for removing temporary files and cleaning the Registry, has a tool in its Tools->Startup to either disable or permanently delete programs both in computer and browser startup. Good thing is that no system files are shown. Plus you don't have to reboot after modifications.

(Image removed from quote.)
I second this--- one of the best freeware tools out there.

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 01:41:48 PM »
Ok, $40.00 deal.

I would not install it no matter what media or format it came was, but I am still trying to figure out what the DVD would be good for. :)

I'll wait to see if they actually do a decent desktop user interface in the next version and if they remove many of the invasive watchdogs as well.  If they do not remove any of the watch dogs, I'll be content to carry on with what I have.  It's not like I am missing anything.

The modern UI is annoying but for less than half price I'll take it instead of paying 200+ bucks for a windows 7 full retail. The start screen aside 8 is just a polished 7 with everything done a bit smoother and fancyer.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 02:31:55 PM »
The modern UI is annoying but for less than half price I'll take it instead of paying 200+ bucks for a windows 7 full retail. The start screen aside 8 is just a polished 7 with everything done a bit smoother and fancyer.

The user interface is just one of many reasons I will not touch Windows 8, no matter how cheap it is.  I was not thrilled to have to buy Windows 7, but with the demise of Windows XP support, I had no choice.  However, it could be the last Microsoft OS I invest in.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Windows 8 has the worst user interface design, for a desktop, I have ever seen.  I could do better(and have actually) if they want a single user interface for desktop and mobile.  Let's see if they can figure it out for the next version.

Honestly, I think part of my problem is I know the UI could be designed better and am completely frustrated with how anyone at Microsoft could have though the current UI, for Windows 8, is a good thing for a desktop.

Putting the desktop aside, I cannot abide by, nor accept, the intrusive nature of Windows 8 and Microsoft.  If this does not change, then Windows 7 is absolutely the last of anything I will buy from Microsoft.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 02:37:33 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 04:37:19 PM »
The user interface is just one of many reasons I will not touch Windows 8, no matter how cheap it is.  I was not thrilled to have to buy Windows 7, but with the demise of Windows XP support, I had no choice.  However, it could be the last Microsoft OS I invest in.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Windows 8 has the worst user interface design, for a desktop, I have ever seen.  I could do better(and have actually) if they want a single user interface for desktop and mobile.  Let's see if they can figure it out for the next version.

Honestly, I think part of my problem is I know the UI could be designed better and am completely frustrated with how anyone at Microsoft could have though the current UI, for Windows 8, is a good thing for a desktop.

Putting the desktop aside, I cannot abide by, nor accept, the intrusive nature of Windows 8 and Microsoft.  If this does not change, then Windows 7 is absolutely the last of anything I will buy from Microsoft.

You can always hope that linux gaming will take wind - although Ubuntu has already sold out and implemented spyware. Nothing comes for free...

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 07:02:00 AM »
You can always hope that linux gaming will take wind - although Ubuntu has already sold out and implemented spyware. Nothing comes for free...

I would not use Ubuntu.  I also do not game on my home computer.  I use Slackware for all my Linux boxes.  I am adept at configuring Linux and loathe GUI's, in general.  They simply get in the way.  It is always nice to get to the CLI on my Linux server. To be able to do exactly what I want, how I want is a breath of fresh air.

My reasons for not being able to get away from Windows has been the video, sound editing, and graphics packages.  The packages available in Linux are still lagging behind in features.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 07:58:14 AM »
I would not use Ubuntu.  I also do not game on my home computer.  I use Slackware for all my Linux boxes.  I am adept at configuring Linux and loathe GUI's, in general.  They simply get in the way.  It is always nice to get to the CLI on my Linux server. To be able to do exactly what I want, how I want is a breath of fresh air.

My reasons for not being able to get away from Windows has been the video, sound editing, and graphics packages.  The packages available in Linux are still lagging behind in features.

If gaming on linux is going to happen it's also going to push all AV development forward with full force by necessity. Already lining up for Lightworks linux beta? :D

I use Mac for any AV work. Reason/Record for music production (which I'm a total noob at and will remain so due to lack of time), Camtasia2 for anything requiring screen ripping and Final Cut pro for general video.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 08:02:28 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 09:00:51 AM »
If Adobe or Sony would bring their video and audio products to Linux, it would seal the deal for me.  I would gladly pay for those products, again, to get them on Linux.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2013, 04:00:04 AM »
I wonder if any of the older versions of Adobe  software or Sony Software might possibly work on Linux?  since sometimes these companys discontinue support, for like Adobe's CS2

Adobe recently posted  serial #'s  and download links for a bunch of their older software, including:

Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0
Adobe Audition 3.0
Adobe Photoshop CS2
Adobe Creative Suite 2

just to name several that also has valid serial / license keys to activate them

Original Article Link: http://www.techspot.com/news/51316-adobe-offering-creative-suite-2-for-free-but-they-didnt-mean-to.html  ( note: they did mean to actually )

Adobe site download page link : http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

Adobe posted the following message on their download page:
Adobe has disabled the activation server for CS2 products, including Acrobat 7, because of a technical issue. These products were released more than seven years ago, do not run on many modern operating systems, and are no longer supported.

Adobe strongly advises against running unsupported and outdated software. The serial numbers below should only be used by customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products.

but I have verified these apps are fully functional for one of my neices' computers, so she could do some photo editing and other stuff....... she really needed photoshop

Hope This Might Be Useful to some of you

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC