Author Topic: looking at a new computer  (Read 8512 times)

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
Re: looking at a new computer
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 07:11:13 PM »
You didn't mention any kind of a video card in your original post...

The model you gave no replies in Google, but with some detective work I figured you might have meant EL1358G-51W. It has an nVidia GeForce 6150 SE integrated video circuit, which isn't suitable for AH. Don't buy that!

Despite what Guncrasher says, an Intel 8400 can run AH pretty well. I have one, plus a Radeon 3870 (512Mb) and 4 GB RAM, Win XP. It gives me 60 fps at lots more than default settings. I suppose serious gamers have long since abandoned rigs like mine, so if you're on a tight budget, look at net auctions or your neighbourhood pc builder shops for a decent project. Or shop at the  AH classifieds section
Thanks Bizman,
 Seems Raptor budget is not large, but by looking around he might find something. First he needs to get a hold on what to look for. I think hes been given some good ideas.
 :salute
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline f35raptor

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 10:49:23 PM »
Ya the information bizma. Waa  good thank you. As i stated im not computer literate so i really have no idea what im looking at unless i ask around.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 12:37:17 PM »
i never said it wouldnt play ah.  what I meant is that if you gonna spend the money on a used system get an i3 or i7 (sandy bridge).  on used systems there wont be much difference in price  but you get a faster cpu.

midway

Sorry Guncrasher, not trying to put words into your mouth.

I just read the OP asking
So its not going to be any good then is it. To run aces high?
, your next input being
an e8400 is way too old too.  I wouldnt look at anything less than an i3 or is7.

I seem to have connected a wrong question to your answer. Why on earth can't all the world use Finnish on these boards, would be much easier for me to understand!?!
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 12:47:47 PM »
an e8400 is way too old too.  I wouldnt look at anything less than an i3 or is7.

midway

I'm still running an e8400 and run it with some fairly high settings just fine. Though I do get occaisional stutters when I enter an area but probably due to haveing skins enabled and having every skin available. Having them turned on has probably hurt my kill ratio as sometimes the stutters sometimes come at inopportune moments. But it runs the game pretty good.

If someone is looking to run the game on the cheap and still have a decent amount of eye candy. (about 3/4 of the way up) An e8400 based system isnt a bad option if you can find one with a couple gigs of memory and decent video card. I wouldnt see one as a long term solution. But for the next coupe of years barring any overly drastic changes. It should suit you well.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 01:07:49 PM »
I have a spare E7500 that ran AH perfectly fine with most of the eye candy turned on. $70.  :angel:

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 01:34:35 PM »
I'm still running an e8400 and run it with some fairly high settings just fine. Though I do get occaisional stutters when I enter an area but probably due to haveing skins enabled and having every skin available. Having them turned on has probably hurt my kill ratio as sometimes the stutters sometimes come at inopportune moments. But it runs the game pretty good.

If someone is looking to run the game on the cheap and still have a decent amount of eye candy. (about 3/4 of the way up) An e8400 based system isnt a bad option if you can find one with a couple gigs of memory and decent video card. I wouldnt see one as a long term solution. But for the next coupe of years barring any overly drastic changes. It should suit you well.
If his budget is limited, could very well be something to look at. Some price comparing would be in order. I don't think hes going to build it himself.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 01:41:29 PM »
If his budget is limited, could very well be something to look at. Some price comparing would be in order. I don't think hes going to build it himself.

We were taking about a used system.   In that case an i3 or i7 is a better choice and it won't cost more than an e8400.

Midway
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 08:15:30 AM »
We were taking about a used system.   In that case an i3 or i7 is a better choice and it won't cost more than an e8400.

Midway

I find it pretty hard to believe that even second hand you can get twice the value for the same money. If it's so by all means choose an i7 Extreme :D
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 10:20:51 AM »
I find it pretty hard to believe that even second hand you can get twice the value for the same money. If it's so by all means choose an i7 Extreme :D
I was thinking about the same. A quick look on Ebay/recently sold items (february 9th actually) gave me this information:

• Intel E8400 processor appr.   $40
  • LGA 775 motherboard appr.   $35
  • Intel i7-920 processor appr.   $80
  • LGA1366 motherboard appr. $150

I'm not interested enough to examine whether the 3 GHz of E8400 would outperform the 2.66 GHz/2.9 GHz of i7-920 at Turbo mode or not. Also, the prices might be nearer each other in complete systems although the rest of the components included are similarly priced.

I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2013, 11:25:40 AM »
I was thinking about the same. A quick look on Ebay/recently sold items (february 9th actually) gave me this information:

• Intel E8400 processor appr.   $40
  • LGA 775 motherboard appr.   $35
  • Intel i7-920 processor appr.   $80
  • LGA1366 motherboard appr. $150

I'm not interested enough to examine whether the 3 GHz of E8400 would outperform the 2.66 GHz/2.9 GHz of i7-920 at Turbo mode or not. Also, the prices might be nearer each other in complete systems although the rest of the components included are similarly priced.

again we are talking about used computers not computer parts.  as the op mentioned he found a used computer at a pawn shop.  near me they had 3 systems 2 i3's and an amd dual core, all 3 were priced similarly between 300 to 400 and all 3 were over priced.  there's also computer stores where they sell used systems but they tend to be overpriced.

what I find hard to believe is that you think win8 is a good buy.

midway

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2013, 11:40:14 AM »
here's 2 on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Essential-77805PU-Desktop-Computer/dp/B0085XFATU/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1360517371&sr=1-1

this one is an e8400 but it is a deal breaker as it has no floppy drive.  I wouldnt buy an e8400 without a floppy drive.

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-OptiPlex-755-Professional-Mini-Tower/dp/B003P5EQLQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1360517486&sr=1-1&keywords=e8400

this one has win7 pro

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Authorized-Refurbisher-Dell-Performance/dp/B00AZSSIMY/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1360517486&sr=1-6&keywords=e8400

not saying any of those are great buys as they also need a video card and probably replacement of this or that but

midway

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2013, 11:43:31 AM »
here's 2 on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Essential-77805PU-Desktop-Computer/dp/B0085XFATU/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1360517371&sr=1-1

this one is an e8400 but it is a deal breaker as it has no floppy drive.  I wouldnt buy an e8400 without a floppy drive.

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-OptiPlex-755-Professional-Mini-Tower/dp/B003P5EQLQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1360517486&sr=1-1&keywords=e8400

this one has win7 pro

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Authorized-Refurbisher-Dell-Performance/dp/B00AZSSIMY/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1360517486&sr=1-6&keywords=e8400

not saying any of those are great buys as they also need a video card and probably replacement of this or that but

midway

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2013, 11:49:16 AM »
again we are talking about used computers not computer parts. 

Agreed, my bad mixing components and computers. Heck, they both start with "comp..."!

Then again, putting E8400 and i3 or i7, doesn't matter if they're inside a computer or not, on the same line is not a measurable comparison. E8400 is a specific model whereas there's 18 different variations of i3 and 29 of i7. Adding to that that i3 is the low end series and i7 the high end one.

BTW, why is a floppy drive important for an e8400?

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2013, 11:54:02 AM »

what I find hard to believe is that you think win8 is a good buy.

midway

For 40 bucks a full (not OEM) Pro version is a total steal if you ask me. Win8 works excellently as a gaming machine.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2013, 11:58:49 AM »
Agreed, my bad mixing components and computers. Heck, they both start with "comp..."!

Then again, putting E8400 and i3 or i7, doesn't matter if they're inside a computer or not, on the same line is not a measurable comparison. E8400 is a specific model whereas there's 18 different variations of i3 and 29 of i7. Adding to that that i3 is the low end series and i7 the high end one.

BTW, why is a floppy drive important for an e8400?

it accentuates the need for sarcasm font :).  I thought it was funny on the amazon posting that it mentioned that no floppy disk was included.

midway