Author Topic: looking at a new computer  (Read 8643 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: looking at a new computer
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2013, 12:03:21 PM »
For 40 bucks a full (not OEM) Pro version is a total steal if you ask me. Win8 works excellently as a gaming machine.

(looking for an emoticon that will accurately describe a good response) choose one of the following:  :bhead  :rofl  :noid  :furious  :O  :confused:  :uhoh  :bolt: :bolt:  :headscratch:

we need one that mentions a waste of money, or perhaps get the hell out of here.

midway
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2013, 12:05:48 PM »
it accentuates the need for sarcasm font :).  I thought it was funny on the amazon posting that it mentioned that no floppy disk was included.

midway
:lol heh, you got me fooled! I thought it would be needed for some installations, like was the case with early SATA drives.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2013, 12:08:29 PM »
(looking for an emoticon that will accurately describe a good response) choose one of the following:  :bhead  :rofl  :noid  :furious  :O  :confused:  :uhoh  :bolt: :bolt:  :headscratch:

we need one that mentions a waste of money, or perhaps get the hell out of here.

midway

I'm sorry but you're just misinformed and dragging in with the bandwagon of haters. I bet you haven't run W8 for a day yourself. I use it for all my gaming currently and it works flawlessly. The user interface is a bit dumb but that doesn't matter as the only thing I do with it is click on game icon and play. I use Mac/Linux for everything else.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2013, 01:01:27 PM »
I'm sorry but you're just misinformed and dragging in with the bandwagon of haters. I bet you haven't run W8 for a day yourself. I use it for all my gaming currently and it works flawlessly. The user interface is a bit dumb but that doesn't matter as the only thing I do with it is click on game icon and play. I use Mac/Linux for everything else.

we got a laptop with win8.  it sucks to put it mildly. win8 is good if you have a touchscreen like on a tablet with a mouse and keyboard well it just plain sucks.

what I find hilarious about your defense of win8 is your acknowledgement that you dont actually use it.

midway

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2013, 01:37:26 PM »
we got a laptop with win8.  it sucks to put it mildly. win8 is good if you have a touchscreen like on a tablet with a mouse and keyboard well it just plain sucks.

what I find hilarious about your defense of win8 is your acknowledgement that you dont actually use it.

midway

I don't use any windows, period. They all suck and are prone to malware and viruses. But for a necessity like gaming a 40 dollar Win8 is a good bargain. It delivers everything that's needed.

Your hate towards win8 is borderline religious, get over it. Weren't you the guy who hated Macs also with passion? LOL! Asperger like behaviour.. anything out of the comfort zone and you get MAD! :D
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2013, 02:21:08 PM »
I don't use any windows, period. They all suck and are prone to malware and viruses. But for a necessity like gaming a 40 dollar Win8 is a good bargain. It delivers everything that's needed.

Your hate towards win8 is borderline religious, get over it. Weren't you the guy who hated Macs also with passion? LOL! Asperger like behaviour.. anything out of the comfort zone and you get MAD! :D

what makes me laugh is you asking people to spend 40 bucks on an UPGRADE to an os that you yourself already acknowledged dont use other than to push a button to play one game.  I never bought a mac for only one reason: they're overpriced, which is the same reason why I never bought an iphone.

midway

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2013, 02:35:43 PM »
what makes me laugh is you asking people to spend 40 bucks on an UPGRADE to an os that you yourself already acknowledged dont use other than to push a button to play one game.  I never bought a mac for only one reason: they're overpriced, which is the same reason why I never bought an iphone.

midway

You can UPGRADE from the free consumer preview giving you a 40 dollar pro retail (transferrable) license of Windows. Or, well, you could untill the beginning of the month. I saw it as a quite good deal. Too bad if you don't see it. I never bought a Mac or an iPhone either. I got them as work benefits. I probably would think twice about paying the price for them also - but as they landed on my desk/pocket I have to say they're pretty darn good products.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 02:39:55 PM by MrRiplEy[H] »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2013, 05:17:40 PM »
Ripley, you gotta admit that you promoting Win8 and saying it's great doesn't quite ring true when you yourself admit you don't USE the operating system for anything but gaming. That means you run into about 0.00001% of all the problems a normal user will encounter, everything from managing printers to storing or reviewing scanned photos, to checking mail, to browsing the web, to just plain old word processing.

It's a bit hypocritical, one might say. That's kind of how it's coming across to me. No offense, or anything, but I don't put any stock in your claims of how good Win8 is, based on that.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2013, 12:06:05 AM »
Ripley, you gotta admit that you promoting Win8 and saying it's great doesn't quite ring true when you yourself admit you don't USE the operating system for anything but gaming. That means you run into about 0.00001% of all the problems a normal user will encounter, everything from managing printers to storing or reviewing scanned photos, to checking mail, to browsing the web, to just plain old word processing.

It's a bit hypocritical, one might say. That's kind of how it's coming across to me. No offense, or anything, but I don't put any stock in your claims of how good Win8 is, based on that.

I'm not 'promoting' win8 Im saying it's a totally usable product for gaming and you're full of bs if you try to claim otherwise. It performs equally with win7 speed wise so once you get over the UI changes it's pretty much the same as using win7.

Now what is your problem that causes this huge agenda against the _current_ OS from Microsoft? Are you the modern day Don Quijote that's fighting the rotating Win8 signs or what? MS has made it clear that it wants to push Win8 by force so you either quit using MS products alltogether or go with the flow. For me the best solution is to use 'best of all worlds' meaning I use 3 OSes for the tasks that best fit them.

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2013, 12:16:08 AM »
We were taking about a used system.   In that case an i3 or i7 is a better choice and it won't cost more than an e8400.

Midway

okay if you say so, :banana: :banana:
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline f35raptor

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2013, 12:46:51 AM »
Well you guys completly ran this subject to the ground. Can some one here maby point me in the right direction, for a decent computer. Remember i dont know alot about computers, so building one or adding parts is out of the picture

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2013, 01:18:59 AM »
here's 2 on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Essential-77805PU-Desktop-Computer/dp/B0085XFATU/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1360517371&sr=1-1

this one is an e8400 but it is a deal breaker as it has no floppy drive.  I wouldnt buy an e8400 without a floppy drive.

LOL I havent seen a PC with a floppy drive since pentiums.
And its got a CD drive which is all you need
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2013, 01:45:52 AM »
Wow... such an explosion for a response... Just... wow.

Let's just say us PC users that rely on windows, nay us PC users that enjoy windows, have major LEGITIMATE issues with Windows 8. Simply saying "it runs games" and then decrying us as false wolf-criers is itself a direct insult and slight to us, but then to sit there and say "I don't use it" in the same breath as "you have no reasons to dislike it" is utter BS.

And please don't place it upon my head. If you actually used windows XP, windows vista, windows 7, and then windows 8, you would not need US to explain it to YOU.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2013, 02:22:54 AM »
Wow... such an explosion for a response... Just... wow.

Let's just say us PC users that rely on windows, nay us PC users that enjoy windows, have major LEGITIMATE issues with Windows 8. Simply saying "it runs games" and then decrying us as false wolf-criers is itself a direct insult and slight to us, but then to sit there and say "I don't use it" in the same breath as "you have no reasons to dislike it" is utter BS.

And please don't place it upon my head. If you actually used windows XP, windows vista, windows 7, and then windows 8, you would not need US to explain it to YOU.

You're just afraid of change that's all. I have broadened my spectrum of OSes many years ago so I don't see the huge issue with the changes made in Win8. Of course they're a slight annoyance but at best just that. I've been a full time windows user since windows 95 and have used every major Windows version since 3.11 so I don't think you need to be patronizing me on the 'use' lol  :old:

There are alternatives for windows on practically every other aspect except gaming. So that's what I still use windows for and a 40 dollar Win8 suits my purposes perfectly. I would absolutely hate to pay 100+ bucks for windows. Especially soon to be expired old versions for it.

This whole argument is pointless now however as the deal is gone and you would need to pay a regular price for the upgrade or a new OS version. One thing that does help a little however is that with Win8 Microsoft legally allows home builders to use OEM licenses.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 02:25:21 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2013, 03:44:13 AM »
You're just afraid of change that's all.
[/quote

So are you as you pointed out that all you use win8 is to press a button and play a game.  you are just fooling yourself to think otherwise.

midway