Author Topic: looking at a new computer  (Read 8751 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: looking at a new computer
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2013, 12:02:37 PM »
Your question was or looked to be directed to dhaus.  Midway answered yours with clicks.  He asked you a question and you dodged it..

He asked me a question about a claim I never made. So you're wrong - I didn't dodge anything. I have stated and will state again that Win8 is extremely similar to Win7 technologically and nothing stops a user from using it just as they would use Win7.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2013, 12:18:48 PM »
I love microsoft product these days a kind of underdog. But we all cant without ..anyone seen playing AH on a Mac or Ubuntu machine???
After having a Lumia 800 with WindowsPhone a year ago i really got enthousiast. I bought a PC last January a I5 3550 with still a simple nvidia card but runs AH like a dream getting max frame rates everywhere. I also upgraded a laptop here to Windows 8 together with my WP and Xbox i'm having a nice eco system. I hope this year ill get a surface tablet too...Just love the UI it beats all.

Offline dhaus

• Copper Member
« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2013, 03:24:35 PM »
You first suggest I have "the equivalent of computer Asbergers", then accuse me 3 times of lying - and lying about what was actually stated in my replies to do so, and I'm the one making personal attacks.  Rubbish.  The technical reason I prefer Win7 over Win8 is I have to take several steps in Win8 to do the same thing I can do in Win7 with one step.  Guncrasher/midway gave you the same reason - he used the word "clicks" - which you dismiss as "not technical."  Rubbish again.  When someone disagrees with you, you resort to either personal attacks (Asbergers); accusing the other person of lying; or you keep moving the goalposts - their reason for disagreement is "not technical" enough or you're not talking about the UI, as if it is not part of Win8.  I'm glad you're enjoying Win8.  I prefer Win7. 

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2013, 03:26:13 PM »
Quite right dhaus. Well summarized.

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2013, 06:35:43 PM »
Is this with or withouth knowlegde of shortcuts.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2013, 07:25:12 PM »
Is this with or withouth knowlegde of shortcuts.

well, I used the phrase "too many clicks" just because I was watching Amadeus at the time. and the king tells mozar that his music has too many notes.  meaning while it is good it is just too long.

now not saying win8 is good, but why in the heck must I click something to get to the desktop in my gf's computer?  and if I dont click to get to the desktop then I must click to scroll right to get to the tab that has firefox on it, which means even more clicks.

midway
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2013, 11:52:41 PM »
You first suggest I have "the equivalent of computer Asbergers", then accuse me 3 times of lying - and lying about what was actually stated in my replies to do so, and I'm the one making personal attacks.  Rubbish.  The technical reason I prefer Win7 over Win8 is I have to take several steps in Win8 to do the same thing I can do in Win7 with one step.  Guncrasher/midway gave you the same reason - he used the word "clicks" - which you dismiss as "not technical."  Rubbish again.  When someone disagrees with you, you resort to either personal attacks (Asbergers); accusing the other person of lying; or you keep moving the goalposts - their reason for disagreement is "not technical" enough or you're not talking about the UI, as if it is not part of Win8.  I'm glad you're enjoying Win8.  I prefer Win7.  

So I'm sure you'll now explain what exactly you do that takes several steps more? For example opening drive management, programs and features etc. takes several clicks LESS in windows 8 compared to 7.

You probably haven't even tried to use it so I'm not expecting a factual answer from you (or midway).  :lol
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 11:54:12 PM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2013, 12:01:30 AM »
So I'm sure you'll now explain what exactly you do that takes several steps more? For example opening drive management, programs and features etc. takes several clicks LESS in windows 8 compared to 7.

You probably haven't even tried to use it so I'm not expecting a factual answer from you (or midway).  :lol

i was gonna say something, but I think, i am just gonna up my post count.  after all I think that is all you want to do anyway.

midway

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2013, 12:28:32 AM »
i was gonna say something, but I think, i am just gonna up my post count.  after all I think that is all you want to do anyway.

midway

It's clear that you don't even know if Win8 really needs more clicks. You just read others compain about it and now repeat it with a strange passion.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2013, 05:50:15 PM »
It's clear that you don't even know if Win8 really needs more clicks. You just read others compain about it and now repeat it with a strange passion.

well didnt you noticed the last time you came to my house than I have a win7 desktop, a 3 month old laptop with win8 preinstalled and a tablet with custom android rom.  also have a phone with a custom android rom.

and I dont even have to post how many clicks it takes to shut the laptop down, then again you already posted that a few weeks ago.

midway

Offline dhaus

• Copper Member
« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2013, 08:41:48 PM »
Having reviewed the rules of your game, above, I have no need to play.  And thanks for accusing me of lying a fourth time - before I even typed a reply.  Have a nice day!

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2013, 01:50:41 AM »
Are you two finished?
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2013, 03:32:11 AM »
Having reviewed the rules of your game, above, I have no need to play.  And thanks for accusing me of lying a fourth time - before I even typed a reply.  Have a nice day!

You make the conclusions, I never said you were a liar. I just said you most likely won't be able to back your claim up and looksee what happened?  :rofl

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2013, 03:34:04 AM »
well didnt you noticed the last time you came to my house than I have a win7 desktop, a 3 month old laptop with win8 preinstalled and a tablet with custom android rom.  also have a phone with a custom android rom.

and I dont even have to post how many clicks it takes to shut the laptop down, then again you already posted that a few weeks ago.

midway

Except with the new sleep you have no need to even shut down the laptop you just close the lid and it will open almost instantaneously when you reopen it. You just don't know how to use Win8, clear and simple.

By the way, shutting down the computer takes 3 clicks (or one press to the power button or alt+f4 on desktop and press of enter) in Win8 and 3 clicks in Win7 unless you have set 'shut down' as default function in the power button ;)

The only difference being then that Win8 boots up considerably quicker compared to the 7 so any extra time you spent to that possible 1 click is 100 fold negated on the bootup :D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 03:43:38 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: February 23, 2013, 05:05:08 AM »
All this debate about how fast a computer boots and shuts down reminds me of the story about an athlete training to be 1/100 second faster. How will he spend the time he spared? Arguments and calculations about the achieved working time have been published also in ICT professional magazines. I can't help wondering, would a minute a day really add productivity, although summed together for a lifelong career the saved minutes make days and weeks. I have a feeling that the daily minute saved makes most computers run idle one minute longer than they used to.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni