Author Topic: Late war limited to Late War Planes and vehicles  (Read 1269 times)

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Re: Late war limited to Late War Planes and vehicles
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 06:27:22 PM »
your thoughts on late war rides giving up advantage to the turny birds in a dogfight lead you to incorrect conclusions.. those planes you mention like the brew, hurri, zeke, or f4f are nothing but scavengers.. they drone around waiting for someone else to make a badguy vulnerable... 90% of the time those scavengers should be meat on the table for even a midwar fighter like the a5..
- TWBYDHAS

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 06:39:40 PM »
kappa,

The majority of my kills in A6Ms are not scavenger kills.  Undoubtedly my victim, in most cases (poor Ju87), could simply have ignored me, but they engaged me and lose the fight.  Characterizing those aircraft as nothing but scavengers is rather demeaning and dismissive.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 06:43:03 PM »
kappa,

The majority of my kills in A6Ms are not scavenger kills.  Undoubtedly my victim, in most cases (poor Ju87), could simply have ignored me, but they engaged me and lose the fight.  Characterizing those aircraft as nothing but scavengers is rather demeaning and dismissive.

he is correct though...but like he says 90%.......  :D

some have to fill up that 10% :neener:

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 07:04:51 PM »
ju87 is a scavengeE...not a scavenger..  :-)
- TWBYDHAS

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 07:46:12 PM »
ju87 is a scavengeE...not a scavenger..  :-)
My implication was that the Ju87 had no choice but to face* my A6M3 in honorable combat** because unlike most enemies in the LWA the Ju87 can't run.

*get slaughtered by
**die helplessly in a hail of unavoidable cannonfire
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2013, 08:43:04 PM »
  I fly Late War because I enjoy having the full range of aircraft available.  We can bring any plane out of the set, and mix it up.  This is what I like about AH.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2013, 10:15:25 PM »
My opinion, if you want to make AH faster paced/more "combat-ee":

Reduce the distance between fields. It honestly sucks to die in this game. Not because of score (although there are a few who feels it is), but because of the time spent getting to the action. I hate...HATE...having to spend 5-10 minutes or even longer getting to the action. Rarely, a furball will happen right off a base, but then it turns into a pickfest because the other side has had room to get alt. Even more rare is a furball that happens right in between two bases, when both forces meet each other at relatively co alt and it truly turns into a test of flying skills. I wish that would happen more often.

Maps like ndisle and FesterMA are perfect for this reason. The TT in the middle is almost the perfect distance from one another and almost all fights are co E. if they were just a tiny bit closer, it'd be great.
And if you think about it, why does no one complain about dying in an RPG or FPS? Because they're spawned back into the action almost instantly. I'm not asking for an instant respawn in AH either, but just move the bases closer, so that fights are easier to find, funner, and quicker.
And yes, I understand every map will have to be changed, so it will likely never happen, but in the future for map makers..do me a tiny favor and just make bases closer.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline ARSNishi

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 02:16:11 AM »
your thoughts on late war rides giving up advantage to the turny birds in a dogfight lead you to incorrect conclusions.. those planes you mention like the brew, hurri, zeke, or f4f are nothing but scavengers.. they drone around waiting for someone else to make a badguy vulnerable... 90% of the time those scavengers should be meat on the table for even a midwar fighter like the a5..

With all due respect, whether you intended it that way or not, I gotta agree with Karnak..... It puts off an aire of condescension and elitism.  

If we are talking about your typical AH furball your statement presupposes that that furball is the domain of something other than the turny birds, and said turny birds are the intrusive "scavengers".  I question that presupposition. I suppose the ratio of turny birds versus non turny birds in any given furball could be the arbiter of who's domain it is. But could it not just as easily be argued that a 190 a5 slicing through your typical AH furball picking off turny birds, stalled out, mid high yo yo is "scavenging"?  With the wide range of aircraft we have at our disposal and given the natural ebb and flow of that "ratio" in the MA, I contend it's everyone's domain and to use an old Southern drag racing phrase, " you run what you brung".

I like to turn fight, which is why the zero is my favored mount and it explains why I always call out "dibs on the brew or Zeke" on range when approaching a furball.  If a 190 a5 chooses to get down and dirty and I kill him in my Zero should I be demeaned or feel guilty because he brought a bazooka to a knife fight?  As infuriating as it is to have my m5 zero set on fire by one lucky hit of those God forsaken incendiary LA 7 rounds..... it is what it is and that's the price I pay for flying my paper plane.

:salute Nishizwa
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 02:45:40 AM by ARSNishi »

Fighter Ace vet lured to the dark side, a.k.a..  -AoM-  Fear the Mighty Mitsubishi Mounted Muppet!

Nishizwa in game, Nish or Nishi will work too

Offline ARSNishi

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 02:17:13 AM »
Grrr, multiple posts again.  Apologies
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 02:42:46 AM by ARSNishi »

Fighter Ace vet lured to the dark side, a.k.a..  -AoM-  Fear the Mighty Mitsubishi Mounted Muppet!

Nishizwa in game, Nish or Nishi will work too

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 05:37:33 AM »
My opinion, if you want to make AH faster paced/more "combat-ee":

Reduce the distance between fields. It honestly sucks to die in this game. Not because of score (although there are a few who feels it is), but because of the time spent getting to the action. I hate...HATE...having to spend 5-10 minutes or even longer getting to the action. Rarely, a furball will happen right off a base, but then it turns into a pickfest because the other side has had room to get alt. Even more rare is a furball that happens right in between two bases, when both forces meet each other at relatively co alt and it truly turns into a test of flying skills. I wish that would happen more often.

Maps like ndisle and FesterMA are perfect for this reason. The TT in the middle is almost the perfect distance from one another and almost all fights are co E. if they were just a tiny bit closer, it'd be great.
And if you think about it, why does no one complain about dying in an RPG or FPS? Because they're spawned back into the action almost instantly. I'm not asking for an instant respawn in AH either, but just move the bases closer, so that fights are easier to find, funner, and quicker.
And yes, I understand every map will have to be changed, so it will likely never happen, but in the future for map makers..do me a tiny favor and just make bases closer.

Stop climbing to 30k and it wont take so long to get there :rofl
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2013, 07:40:27 AM »
IMHO if EW and MW planes were pulled off the LW planeset "because they didn't fight each other in WW2",  a whole lot of LW planes should be pulled off because of the very same reason. Someone asked if there had been any fights between a 109-K4 and a P-51. There might have been, as well as fights between a P-51 and an A6M. But there certainly haven't been any fights between a 109-K4 against an A6M. AFAIK there weren't any air to air combats between USA and USSR, either. Not to mention aerial fights between planes of same make or colour...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2013, 09:52:05 AM »
If this wish went through, my appearence in LWMA would be minimal; I love the 109E/F/G2, making me a EW and MW flyer under this wish.

JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2013, 01:31:22 PM »
I disagree......it don't matter what is around I am fighting.....and I certainly am not the only one to play like this...

one of the greatest parts of the MA is the unknown....fighting a brew and a 51 at the same time is a good test....

besides I have come to learn it does not matter 90% of the time what I am up against

what does matter is the person controlling the plane  :aok

Yes, but I think you are making my point also...let's turn this post around...

what does matter is the person controlling the plane  :aok

then it wouldn't really matter if a few planes left the LW Arena.

My point (if there is one) is fighting is better when planes are closer in performance, each with a small advantage that can be maximized when fighting a different plane. But that falls appart when the difference is too great in performance. So the fighting suffers. Like speed is a crutch for some Pony pilots, turniness is a crutch for some as well.  

As the war progressed, planes got faster and less Turny. I wondered what it was like when the planes set was more evenly matched. I'm not advocating it, but was contemplating it.

Was a good discussion.  :salute
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 01:33:39 PM by Vinkman »
Who is John Galt?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2013, 01:38:03 PM »
Its all relative Vinkman.  As the planes got faster and less "turny" some STILL held the advantage as the best turning plane of the lot. If your comparing Migs and Sabres one STILL turns better than the other. So one would be called the turny plane the other the runner.

As far as the game goes a lot....no longer the majority I think.... like the challenge of fighting with a disadvantage to see if they can pull victory from the teeth of death. Others want whats going to get the job done the quickest, easiest way possible.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2013, 02:31:26 PM »
I wondered what it was like when the planes set was more evenly matched.

Well, sir, you have the AvA arena to utilize for this very purpose!

- oldman