Author Topic: Difference between 20mm rounds  (Read 1771 times)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
Re: Difference between 20mm rounds
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 08:16:23 AM »
I still have a hard time with the RS82 rockets being almost 50% as destructive as the WG21.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 09:04:48 AM »
Hispanos were prone to jamming if they were fired under G-stress. The pilots were scared of it and many times opted for mg:s instead of cannons. This isn't modeled in AH so they're unrealistically effective currently.
American made Hispanos, not British made Hispanos.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Acidrain

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 04:59:05 PM »
what does the Wirblewind shoot , because they hit noticebly harder than any other 20mm in game.

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 05:01:29 PM »
4 mg 151's.  but the round is has a damage of 4 compared to that of '2 as apples to the hispanos and 151's
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 05:11:22 PM »
4 mg 151's.  but the round is has a damage of 4 compared to that of '2 as apples to the hispanos and 151's
No, MG151/20s are lightly built aircraft guns.  No reason to suffer the weight restrictions on a tracked vehicle.

It was armed with four 20mm Flakvierling 38s.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 02:06:35 AM »
And the shot is different with a larger casing with more powder to drive the projectile faster. The projectiles however are the same as those in aircraft guns.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 02:30:04 AM »

I was going to ask that, as in a couple of books I've read about Buzz Beurling he purposely had the .303 mg's removed from his SpitV in Malta, as well did some other pilots, as they felt they were useless weight.  I somehow doubted the hispanos were finicky and that the pilots were "scared to use them and went with MG's" if they actually had the MG's yanked right out.  They must have worked OK, as Buzz was the fastest scoring ace on the allied side in the war, getting nearly all of his kills in a very compressed period of time, again, nearly all with hispano 20m fire.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 03:03:17 AM »

the american hispano is a strict copy of the original hs404, while the British one is an improved model IIRC
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 08:23:26 AM »
the american hispano is a strict copy of the original hs404, while the British one is an improved model IIRC
Kinda.  The American one is a copy of the British Mk II, but with the original breech length.  The British explained the problems they had encountered and their solution, but the Americans declined to implement it.  I've read a British test of an American made Hispano.  Basically said the quality and workmanship was much better than the British made Hispanos, but that it suffered frequent stoppages rendering it unfit for service.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 08:34:16 AM »
I still have a hard time with the RS82 rockets being almost 50% as destructive as the WG21.

The Soviets RS82's have 92 lbs of damage, while the WGr21's have 200 lbs of damage.  The big thing to check in to is the amount of explosives, and the "type" of warhead projectile.  The ultimate scale of how this stuff is rated is how it fits in within the "312 lbs" scale.  Meaning, HTC has ordnance scaled as to not be over powering on the typical OBJ (ammo bunkers, barracks, radar mast, town building, fuel tanks, etc), yet give it the due it has coming.  I presented to HTC some times ago the differences between the British 3in/60 pdr rockets and the US 5in HVAR rockets, and I believe Pyro was the person who adjusted in in favor of the 3in/60 Pdr rockets.  Likewise, the US 75mm HE round from the M4/75 Sherman, that too was adjusted to reflect its superior HE capability to all but a few tanks in WWII.

Keep in mind that when comparing the German Wg21 rockets to anything, that they were designed and meant to be used for air to air purposes and that when used vs OBJ take it with a grain of salt because that is not a good base to compare to.  For comparison purposes, keep the Soviet RS82 and RS132, US 4.5in M8 (same rockets on M4 Calliope as well) and 5in HVAR, and UK 3in/60 Pdr rockets in their own group as they are the true air to ground rockets in the game.  The German Pb1 rockets are designated anti-armor rockets and do slight HE damage (too much, imo), yet will easily destroy any tank in AH with a solid hit.  The German WGr21 rockets are air to air.  The German 28cm Wurfkorper rockets are ground to ground and are devastating when used properly against a town.

In short, do not compare the Soviet RS82 rockets to the German WGr21 rockets, it is worse than the apple vs orange comparison.      
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2013, 08:46:07 AM »
Kinda.  The American one is a copy of the British Mk II, but with the original breech length.  The British explained the problems they had encountered and their solution, but the Americans declined to implement it.  I've read a British test of an American made Hispano.  Basically said the quality and workmanship was much better than the British made Hispanos, but that it suffered frequent stoppages rendering it unfit for service.

I'm under the impression that the US version was a Mk I copy, then was "upgraded" to a Mk II without following the change in chamber dimensions.  Basically, the US swapped out the mechanics of the operating system yet kept the Mk I barrels and hence the original chamber dimensions.  IIRC, the issues with the high G's and/or changes in temperature is what prompted the British to develop the Mk II, and then the Mk V.  It would be those two 20mm models that became the benchmark of 20mm aircraft cannons.   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline 63tb

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2013, 02:25:41 PM »
Here is a great article on Tony Williams' website, regarding the US/British Hispano 20mm

http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/US404.htm

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2013, 02:29:30 PM »
It was armed with four 20mm Flakvierling 38s.

16 guns? Wow    :x

;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2013, 02:47:13 PM »
Here is a great article on Tony Williams' website, regarding the US/British Hispano 20mm

http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/US404.htm

That is a great source of info.  Thanks for posting.