Author Topic: Smoke from burning buildings  (Read 4109 times)

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
Smoke from burning buildings
« on: February 15, 2013, 07:43:34 AM »
I was playing around in Offline mode when I noticed that I had affected the smoke from the radar I had knocked out.

After trying a few different setting I went from this...

to this...

Now I feel that this looks much better (tweeks maybe needed to make it look better), and closer to how real smoke.

Now after flying through this a few times I realized this could be used in the MA to limit field shutdowns and vulchers. The smoke quickly builds and blocks other building & uppers from view.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
Re: Smoke from burning buildings
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 09:10:17 AM »
The smoke in AH doesn't look very realistic at all, and making it larger just makes it look daft.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 09:17:11 AM »
IIRC, Ranger had some really cool looking smoke going in AvA.

Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 09:32:22 AM »
more smoke would make radar heroes and ord porkers auger even more often than they already do.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 09:34:27 AM »
also it would crush computers that are already on the edge of playability.

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 12:08:14 PM »
+1

Thats how a field would look in my minds eye after it has been burning for a few minutes.

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 11:27:11 PM »

I did not see any frame rate hits when I was flying into it (though my computer is only a year old), and I dont see why it would cause too many problems. I did not change the number of clouds or the base smoke style. It was simply a change in how it spread out and up. So it is rendering the same objects that it already had too.

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 12:43:58 AM »
My computer is 7 years old and would get murdered if it was brutal on the computer. I can test it if you give us the settings that you modified.

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 12:50:55 AM »
My computer is 7 years old and would get murdered if it was brutal on the computer. I can test it if you give us the settings that you modified.

All I did was started a custom arena, any MA map would do. Blow up all the radar/fuel/ords and a few of the hangers. Take off and once your safely in the air turn the wind for all layers to 1 mph and a +50 updraft. once you do that all the smoke will be affected and look like the pics.

Offline SoonerMP

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 12:37:17 PM »

Well darn it..... You people that cry to the heavens about PC ability need to upgrade.

S.A.P.P. Secret Association of P-38 Pilots

Blame Karaya 2008-2012       Death From Above - MA (inactive)

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 01:59:30 PM »
Well darn it..... You people that cry to the heavens about PC ability need to upgrade.
some people cant why dont you guys understand  :mad:
You cannot beat savages by becoming one.

He who must not be named

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 03:36:09 PM »

I'm not crying about it ( mine can run the game flat out all the bells and whistles and the fans don't even kick all the way up), I'm just pointing out what WILL happen to what I think is the majority of the players, those playing on laptops as that is THE thing to get these days.

some people cant why dont you guys understand  :mad:

Some people should look into getting a job and saving their money to buy a better one.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 09:33:49 PM »
Half Life 1 was a great game...you don't see people running around screaming their heads off when the graphics got updated.

Time to catch up with the technology if you're playing on an eMachines with 512MB of RAM. It sucks with AH2 being the only WW2 flight sim that is somewhat realistic and have a decent player population. If only it had better graphics, it would perfect.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 11:30:06 PM »
Now after flying through this a few times I realized this could be used in the MA to limit field shutdowns and vulchers. The smoke quickly builds and blocks other building & uppers from view.

The changes you made in AH would certainly do that, but your own photo shows that real smoke from real fires do not do that.  The gases coming off fires, which are carrying the smoke particles, are very hot and therefore they tend to rise straight up due to buoyancy, i.e. they are hot and therefore much less dense than the surrounding air and tend to shoot straight up and do not spread radially very much.  As your photo shows the smoke plume diameter is not much larger than the fire itself until the plume rises quite a bit and cools off, reducing buoyancy effects.  If AH smoke were more realistic, i.e. it spread initially much less than is currently modelled, then the fields would, at lower alts, be even less obscured than now (and, coincidentally the frame rates would be less adversely affected since fewer smoke textures would be rendered).

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »
I always think we have too much fire.......... I would be happy with a good "glow" near ground level rather then 150 ft high fiery jets

Seems to me that (FE impact wise) its not just the size of smoke, its also how dynamic it is.  The more dynamic (active) the smoke is the more of a hit the FE takes.

Static fog is not as heavy a FE  hit as is multiple pulsating smoke plumes IMO.
Ludere Vincere