Author Topic: Any of you shotgunners reload your own shells?  (Read 432 times)

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
Any of you shotgunners reload your own shells?
« on: February 22, 2013, 08:06:33 PM »
Since everyone is buying up every last bit of ammo they come across I am having a difficult time finding shells to shoot on the weekend. So now I am flirting with the idea of just reloading my own to ensure I can go shoot some clays any time I want. I've done some searching around and options and choices of everything is a little overwhelming to a beginner. Basically I shoot Winchester super speed 12gauge 2 3/4 1oz 7.5 shot. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy and what to buy? So far it seems as though reddot is the powder of choice but I am still trying to find which is the wad of choice as well as what the differences in casings are. So many options.. Someone please point me in the right direction.

P.S. I'm probably going to buy the Lee Loader to reload with. I know it's not the best but is cheap and I will only be doing about 250 rounds between shooting days (about every other weekend)

Offline Eric19

• Nickel Member
Re: Any of you shotgunners reload your own shells?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 08:34:41 PM »
I'm in the same boat with ya bud but I'm 16 and my grandma buys the ammo but some of my guns shoot VERY expensive rounds and I've always wanted to get into reloading but never had the time go out to youtube theres alot of good tutroial videos out there on the basic steps of reloading
Proud member of the 91ST BG (H) The Ragged Irregulars

Offline ariansworld

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 09:37:03 PM »
I'm in the same boat with ya bud but I'm 16 and my grandma buys the ammo but some of my guns shoot VERY expensive rounds and I've always wanted to get into reloading but never had the time go out to youtube theres alot of good tutroial videos out there on the basic steps of reloading
Yeah, I would get some manuals and read some books on the subject....

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 10:42:49 PM »
I have a Sears & Roebuck reloading and crimper tool. I think it was first sold in 1903 but I have never found a history on it.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Kenne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 10:45:32 PM »
the place you shoot at dont sell shells?
Women are like the Government. They have no problem that can't be solved by throwing money at it!
لقد حصلت على تذكرتين إلى الجنة

Offline madhogg

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 12:05:25 AM »
Fly to Russia and buy guns and ammo from them, you can buy a real AK-47 for 40$ bucks, rpg7s, m203,50Cals..they can shipr your items... Or go online and buy from an online gun store   :D

Offline j500ss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 12:09:27 AM »
Doing your own reloading is really not a big deal, it does take some research, and there is tons of proven information available out there to work off of.   I have not reloaded and shells in quite a few years, but I did at one time have a Lee Loadall I think it was called.  It's a nice entry level setup, and for a couple hundred rounds here and there it should work out fine for you.  First thing you will learn is what brand cases work better, and which ones don't.  

The winchester cases worked best for me, Remington was not too bad, nor were the Peters cases.   I was never a big fan of federals or other cases, they just never seemed to recrimp quite as good as the Winchesters.   Something else you may want to invest in is a gram scale, just to verify powder and shot charges, especially if your going to be trying various powder brands

Have fun and enjoy, but do the research, and don't go experimenting just for kicks, bad things can happen then.

Offline DaCoon

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 12:11:46 AM »
my dad used to reload all his own ammo when I was a lot younger.....unfortunately I don't remember much about it.  I'll take a look in the stuff we got from his house when he passed last year, there might be something that'll help ya.   :cheers:
AKDaCoon of the Arabian Knights

MA & FSO 😎

Offline TheMercinary60

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 01:04:21 AM »
i had a thread awhile ago asking about reloading also, i suggest finding it, many people gave me lots of tips and advice on getting started. it would be a place to start anyway
Formally Merc flying with the 99th Blue Lagoon Bandits
I wish people would use the wish list forum to post their brilliant ideas, and be smart enough to not post all their stupid ones.

But I am under no disillusions of my wish ever being fulfilled.

HiTech - in response to davidwales

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 05:14:36 AM »
the place you shoot at dont sell shells?

Yes they do at. 7.50/box (25 rounds). I was paying $5/box but they are now up to over $6/box if you can find them.

I have no intentions of trying to experiment with different homemade recipes,  I don't want something to go wrong 6 inches from my face with my  new gun. I am going to buy a book on reloading but I wasn't sure id it would have preferences as far as the components are concerned.

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 05:59:12 AM »
Yes they do at. 7.50/box (25 rounds). I was paying $5/box but they are now up to over $6/box if you can find them.

I have no intentions of trying to experiment with different homemade recipes,  I don't want something to go wrong 6 inches from my face with my  new gun. I am going to buy a book on reloading but I wasn't sure id it would have preferences as far as the components are concerned.

Im very fortunate to have a friend that i shoot with reload our shotshells, we split the cost....he does the reloading (Hes retired, and has all the time in the world)...1 thing i will tell you, is that we dont do it to save money. You wont save a ton reloading shotshells. The cost of Lead has gone up tremendiously. The reason we do it is consistency in the shells / patterning. I believe he uses an MEC loader. Hes a sight to behold when hes rolling...really pumps out the rounds.

Heres some intresting cost calculators             http://www.shootpita.com/reloading-cost.htm

another one     http://www.losttarget.com/costcal.htm

http://www.reloaderhub.com/calculator.cfm

This is a good distributer of hulls and the like, we use Fiocchi hulls  (we buy 90% of our stuff thru Ballistic Products) Lead we buy at our gunshop to save on shipping costs.  We usually get 7 or 8 reloads out of the hulls. Just watch for cracks or splits around the crimp.
Winchester AA Hulls seem to have a longer life 10reloads...but it also depends on what powder you are using, Greater pressures, hotter loads = less hull life.
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/All-Fiocchi-Hulls/products/630/

Some manuals you may find handy

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Advantages-Manual-6th-ed/productinfo/00MADV/
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Reloading-Manual-Gauge-Shotshell/dp/B0030TOBH6/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1361621178&sr=8-13&keywords=shotshell+reloading
Check out Hogdon and Alliant both have great stuff and components listed are easy to reference and find. Also, Lyman's and Hodgdon Powder Shotshell Data Manuals.  You can download data from the various powder manufacturers, but these manuals give you the whys and the wheretos of shotshell reloading.  They basically tell you why you need to follow the recipes.

Just some food for thought    :aok

So i have to ask....how do you like your new shotgun  :)

<edit> Nevermind, just saw your new avatar...i think my question has been answered  :lol
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 06:23:12 AM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 07:10:14 AM »
Thanks mbailey, I will be splitting the cost with a buddy of mine and as long as I can keep to around $5/box we'll be happy. But, mainly we want to be able to have shells on hand when we go shooting.  As far as my new gun goes I haven't gotten it yet. The place I ordered it from has been giving me tye run around. It finally shipped out yesterday so my ffl will get it on Tuesday and I'll pick it up Thursday when I get back in town from my business trip. So I will have actual pics and thoughts on the gun this weekend. I have two new Muller U2 chokes sitting on my dresser waiting for their new home.   :aok

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 09:43:05 PM »
Just bought this to get started. After some reading hopefully I'll have an idea of which type of lead, wad, powder, etc. to use.
Delivery estimate: Feb. 27, 2013
   1    "Lyman Shotshell Handbook 5Th Edition"
Sports; $22.79
In Stock
   Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
   1    "Lee Precision LA II Primer Feed"
Sports; $15.32
In Stock
   1    "Lee Precision II Shotshell Reloading Press 12 GA Load All (Multi)"
Sports; $66.98
In Stock

From Ballistic Products..
TEM#                DESCRIPTION                            QTY    TOTAL
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
00MADV               Advantages Manual, 6th ed.             1      $19.95

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUB TOTAL:     $19.95
TAX:           $0.00
SHIPPING:      $9.55     FED EX RESIDENTIAL HOME DELIVERYŽ GROUND
ORDER TOTAL:   $29.50

$10 is a little much for delivering a book in my opinion.  :frown:

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 10:12:12 PM »
Shotgun shells are readily available around here....although about the only thing. You can find common hunting rifle rounds though except for 308.