Author Topic: Dora damage  (Read 2499 times)

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
Dora damage
« on: February 25, 2013, 08:46:18 AM »
I think the Dora needs to be reworked just a bit.

Long discussed is the one hit wonder on the radiator. Look at the bird wrong and it starts leaking radiator fluid. I won't go into this one much but it needs to be reworked a bit.

In general the plane is very damage prone. I fly the A5 almost exclusively and rarely run into the damage I get with the Dora. The Dora loses cannons much faster, seems the oil the same and pilot wounded easier.

Should not some of these have the same damage likelihood as the A5? In any case, the Dora needs to be toughened up a bit. It's ubber-nancy.
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
Re: Dora damage
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 09:03:52 AM »
I think the Dora needs to be reworked just a bit.

Long discussed is the one hit wonder on the radiator. Look at the bird wrong and it starts leaking radiator fluid. I won't go into this one much but it needs to be reworked a bit.

In general the plane is very damage prone. I fly the A5 almost exclusively and rarely run into the damage I get with the Dora. The Dora loses cannons much faster, seems the oil the same and pilot wounded easier.

Should not some of these have the same damage likelihood as the A5? In any case, the Dora needs to be toughened up a bit. It's ubber-nancy.

Glass radiator on a Dora?  Never!   :noid

I can understand it being more vulnerable than an A-5 because of the different engine, but it has always seemed to get coolant leaks if a bomber even looks at it sideways...
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 11:09:12 AM »
I thought the P38 made a lot of money for Prestone.  The good news is though, we have two radiators. :)

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 12:08:13 PM »
The Dora also had two radiators. So did the 109 and Spitfire (Mk IX onwards). However, in this game having more than one radiator is a liability, not a redundancy, since the game only models one cooling circuit.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 08:37:38 PM »
The number one reason i do not fly the Dora, or TA152 is the supersized radiator.

even 7.7 mm is effective against their radiators
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 09:08:53 PM »
The number one reason i do not fly the Dora, or TA152 is the supersized radiator.

even 7.7 mm is effective against their radiators

Slightly off topic save, but what gun package in the A8 do you usually use, and do you bother with burning the aft tank first?

And If I may ask, why?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 09:10:54 PM »
The Dora also had two radiators. So did the 109 and Spitfire (Mk IX onwards). However, in this game having more than one radiator is a liability, not a redundancy, since the game only models one cooling circuit.

Anybody ever got an radiator hit in a Spit?  :noid
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 09:30:58 PM »

Anybody ever got an radiator hit in a Spit?  :noid
Yes. Many times.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 11:30:44 PM »
Annular radiators will tend to do that considering the amount of real estate they take up on the engine.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 11:33:49 PM by Wolfala »

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 06:48:51 AM »
You notice the armor in front and aft of it in the first picture? If you look closer you'll also notice that the radiator is in fact several separate radiators with separate coolant lines and shut-off valves. The second picture is of a BMW 802 radial engine. The radiator is the oil cooler.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 09:15:42 AM »
190D is one of the few planes that can take a 37mm from a field gun and not die.. it's usually an engine hit (kills the engine, but the plane still flies)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 09:30:28 AM by kvuo75 »
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 09:40:04 AM »
In my experience all planes in AH can take whatever round to the engine and not damage anything else.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 11:15:37 AM »
Once i was in a hellcat and shot a D9 with the main gun. He was flying away with an oil leak. Other times i got one 7.7mm hit and lost the cooling.

Anyway, anyone have ever got a radiator hit on the pony?
AoM
City of ice

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 11:54:11 AM »

Anyway, anyone have ever got a radiator hit on the pony?

it happens but its rare compared to the 190D9's engine sized radiator
now posting as SirNuke

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 12:13:34 PM »
Quick fix first hit a 50 50 random on the hit, 2nd time hit it is a rad hit