Author Topic: Progessive damage model for hangers  (Read 173 times)

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Progessive damage model for hangers
« on: March 01, 2013, 04:08:04 AM »
The hangers have always had an all or nothing damage model. A hanger has a totally intact appearance until a certain damage level is reached, then it *poof* goes straight to the damage model, where it looks totally destroyed.  I would like to see the hangers take visible damage as they are shot/bombed.  If I'm in a hanger and an enemy plane strafes the top, I want to see rows of bullet holes.  If a rocket hits, I'd like to see a nice larger hole, etc.  

This would also affect the way GVs shoot hangers too.  No more just letting your stick sit there while you just keep click clicking, hitting the same exact spot over & over until the hanger goes down.  With this way if you do that, your first round will make a hole & if you don't move your stick/aim at all, your second round will go through the first hole & impact the far wall, creating a hole.  A third round would go through both holes and hit somewhere down range.  You actually would have to move your aim around some to keep causing damage.

I would make the corner edges/beams indestructible until the damage thresh hold is crossed & the hanger goes into it's totally destroyed damage model we have now.  This would prevent players from whining that, since they destroyed a corner, the hanger should cave in.

We already have examples of bent metal seen in-game.  The destroyed radar and the big guns on our ships have it.  I'd like to see it adopted into the hanger mid-damage model.  If a bomb strikes a hanger, there should be tore up beams & debris on the inside of the hanger.   Make this inside damage a selectable option & totally cosmetic.  Even though there are chunks & debris laying around the hanger floor, it would not prevent aircraft from rolling out of the hanger unscathed (no blown tires).

I just feel it's time to give the hanger something more than an all-or-nothing damage model.  That's my wish. :salute
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 04:09:48 AM by USRanger »
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: Progessive damage model for hangers
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 08:13:52 AM »
So in short, you want each 500 lbs worth of damage to be modeled in to the visuals?  I like it, but I'm thinking it would add a lot f "coading" issues and who know how it would impact computer performance.

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Re: Progessive damage model for hangers
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 08:55:49 AM »
I'd think it would add a lot of network traffic as every player within visual range of a hangar would need to get updates of the size and position of every hole in that hangar and there are a lot of hangars at some fields. A few increasing overall levels of damage is probably more doable than individual holes.