Author Topic: Please  (Read 1352 times)

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
Please
« on: March 03, 2013, 07:15:39 AM »
Don't put music tracks in your aces high vids that you upload to youtube or wherever. Aces High has a music all it's own that's more universally palatable.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
Re: Please
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 10:43:56 AM »
I disagree, some of these guys put videos together perfectly with music and it sounds great :aok
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 12:34:40 PM »
When you PLAY the game the sounds work fine. When you watch FILM of the game often sounds are incomplete, inaccurate, too loud, too quiet, missing, etc.

Fact of the matter is it would sound like crap if you just recorded the film viewer and posted it. The sound track is an easier alternative to rebuilding 50 tracks of separate audio all perfectly queued and timed to the action on the screen. You basically do ADR for the entire video. A track of wind, which you bring up and down based on plane speed. A track for guns. Your guns. Their guns. Flack guns. Whatever. They all need their own. Then engines. Up/down with the throttle, but also doppler effect... Different sounds for engines in external vs internal.... Stall buzzer, flaps, gear, bombs, explosions, damage hits, losing parts, pilot wounds... These are just a few of the different sounds you would have to build in on your own. It's not easy.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 08:05:46 AM »
Ah I just realized that the film viewer doesn't save the audio anymore when converting to avi. When and why did that change?
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 08:24:09 AM »
Ok now I know why there are so few published videos of AH with game sound instead of some tacky music. I swear I used to make avi's with sound using the film viewer though.

I guess the best work around would be to use the AH film viewer to edit the video, and then use a video capture program to record the video as you play it in the film viewer.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »
Montage type flicks should have music.   :aok  After all, those films are seldom useful for learning, so why not rock out?   :rock

Anything that isn't a montage flick should let me hear the throttle, flaps, guns, etc.

These are the rules.  Stick to them.   :old:
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 10:24:49 AM »
I guess the best work around would be to use the AH film viewer to edit the video, and then use a video capture program to record the video as you play it in the film viewer.

Check out Skuzzy's sticky thread:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,346137.0.html
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 10:32:26 AM by ImADot »
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 12:01:18 PM »
I do not adhere to these rules for the most part i allow you the option music or no music.
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 12:08:13 PM »
Just FYI the AH film viewer export has never worked satisfactorily. I don't think it ever had audio export, either.

Also, the film viewer plays SOME sounds but not all and definitely not at the same mix as in-game. For a long time it didn't even play engine sounds. Now it's got a full-on blowing wind sound (no ramp up, just full) when you pass 300 or 350mph on some planes. The sound mix is buggy and very much incomplete. You also can't just record in-cockpit sounds as you fly and then overlay them, because your head position changes the sound mix. When you look to the side the sounds move and re-mix to denote they are now coming at you from a different direction. Same as panning around in a tank turret to listen for targets.

You can't use that sound if you use the film viewer camera controls, because now all of a sudden you're looking at a plane from behind but the sound is coming from the front-left because when recorded that's where you were looking. It changes everything.

So basically you have to remix it all. Most folks just put the basics in, or add music. To me, that's perfectly acceptable, but it's a different style.

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 02:34:29 PM »
I think HTC should just drop the whole film recorder stuff and focus on suggesting external apps.

Has it really made that much of a difference?

I do love recording sorties, but the program really doesn't deal well with large files, and it feels clunky when you try.

I guess the fact that you cant just skip to parts in the file is a real no-no for me, cause I have really long sorties when doing strat defence and turning it into a montage of shots/attacks is a nightmare within a nightmare.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 02:38:56 PM by Torquila »

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 03:50:54 PM »
I guess the fact that you cant just skip to parts in the file is a real no-no for me, cause I have really long sorties when doing strat defence and turning it into a montage of shots/attacks is a nightmare within a nightmare.

I have no idea what you are talking about!

For one, in the real world of editing movies the sound used during film making is simply a marker for the editor to insert the studio recordings and audio effects. Second, the film viewer is fully capable of moving and marking any spot in the timeline, but because it can output directly to avi you can use any editing package. The film viewer is not supposed to be Adobe Premiere.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 04:41:09 PM »
Well I dunno, for some reason when I tried it last I couldn't do that? Maybe a problem on my side?  :headscratch:

Otherwise, If your not gonna do it right! Better not to do it at all, I says!

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 08:59:20 PM »
Best way to record footage from the film viewer is to use an external ap like fraps while playing the film viewer. Don't even bother with the "export to AVI" feature there. Just ignore that.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 09:35:36 PM »
I understand why you say that, Krusty, but the fact remains that the film viewer does create the smoothest output possible. It takes forever, it crashes a lot, and it doesn't output audio so you end up using the film viewer output and FRAPS both, but otherwise it is nearly impossible to get output without hesitations and stutters.

Now if you want to use any resolution greater than 480 you cannot use the avi output. I wish that would be updated.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 10:04:56 PM »
Maybe it's an issue with your system? I get fraps and dxtory output just fine without stutters or hitches when recording playback in the film viewer.

The fact that it's wholly unreliable as an export method negates its usefulness. If it's the only way you have found that works for you, then god help you until HTC re-writes that export code (I don't think they will any time soon), because most of us don't even use it. It's a last-resort tool, IMO.

P.S. Most of us do record at resolutions higher than 480 anyways. To use 480 or less just runs too blocky and pixellated to be enjoyable to the viewers.