Author Topic: High School Student Disarms Gunman…Gets Suspended  (Read 522 times)

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
High School Student Disarms Gunman…Gets Suspended
« on: March 03, 2013, 01:30:13 PM »
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/03/02/high-school-student-disarms-gunman-gets-suspended/

A Florida high school student wrestled a loaded gun away from another teen on the bus ride home this week and was slapped with a suspension in return.

The 16-year-old Cypress Lake High student in Fort Myers, Fla. told WFTX-TV there was “no doubt” he saved a life after grappling for the loaded .22 caliber revolver being aimed point-blank at another student on Tuesday.

“I think he was really going to shoot him right then and there,” said the suspended student, not identified by WFTX because of safety concerns. “Not taking no pity.”

The student said the suspect, a football player, threatened to shoot a teammate because he had been arguing with his friend.

Authorities confirmed to WFTX the weapon was indeed loaded, and the arrest report stated the suspect, identified by WVZN-TV as Quadryle Davis, was “pointing the gun directly” at the other student and “threatening to shoot him.”

That’s when, the teen told the station, he and two others tackled the suspect and wrestled the gun away. The next day, all three were suspended.

“How they going to suspend me for doing the right thing?” he asked.

The school’s referral slip said he was given an “emergency suspension” for being involved in an “incident” with a weapon. Lee County School District spokesman Alberto Rodriguez said in a statement that “If there is a potentially dangerous situation, Florida law allows the principal to suspend a student immediately pending a hearing.”

“Those kids had to fight for their lives,” the mother of the suspended teen said. “All the kids that was involved in this they should have a pat on their backs because they did the right thing to save someone from burying their child.”

The suspended teen is allowed to go back to school Monday.

Meanwhile, the student accused of pointing the weapon has been charged only with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon “without intent” to kill.

The sheriff’s office said the investigation is ongoing and that the charges are “based on our findings at this time.”
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
Re: High School Student Disarms Gunman…Gets Suspended
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 01:37:49 PM »
Possession of a firearm on school property.  Goes back to school on Monday.  No big deal.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline skorpx1

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 01:41:58 PM »
Wow.

Are you serious? Kid gets suspended for most likely saving a life? What a load of BS. If anything that kid should get a medal or a free burger or something along those lines. Not a suspension for being helpful.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 02:11:19 PM »
How long was the suspension? A single day of school? They are following the same protocol that police officers experience after a justified shooting; a period of time to review the situation. Perhaps the kid that brought the gun denied the gun was his and they needed a bit of time with the local police to discover the original owner via registration.

That said, it shouldn't be more than 1 school day missed (24 hour to review) and a tutor should be provided to cover any missed classes, free of charge (or possibly charge the parents of the kid that brought the weapon to school).

Don't jump to conclusions; the media really likes to present a lopsided story that much more easily draws in the listener/reader to take a position from the very beginning.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 02:13:36 PM by Delirium »
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 02:20:38 PM »
How long was the suspension? A single day of school? They are following the same protocol that police officers experience after a justified shooting; a period of time to review the situation. Perhaps the kid that brought the gun denied the gun was his and they needed a bit of time with the local police to discover the original owner via registration.

That said, it shouldn't be more than 1 school day missed (24 hour to review) and a tutor should be provided to cover any missed classes, free of charge (or possibly charge the parents of the kid that brought the weapon to school).

Don't jump to conclusions; the media really likes to present a lopsided story that much more easily draws in the listener/reader to take a position from the very beginning.

*edit*

I'll just say I agree with you Del. :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 02:26:04 PM by Soulyss »
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 03:30:17 PM »
Right, sounds like he was given this "emergency suspension" purely for his own safety. The school and police want to investigate the situation lest he become a victim of any retaliation. They must have done a poor job explaining the reason for suspending him because apparently he thinks he's being punished.
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Offline smoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 03:39:43 PM »
Well, if a future crazed gunman decides to shoot at the school employee's that suspended this kid, I'd bet this kid will have learned his lesson and leave the gunman alone next time.

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 03:45:10 PM »
How is it jumping to conclusions when 3 boys wrestled the gun away on a bus from another student as the Police report states? For a witnessed defense of another student these three boys received punishment, and a suspension is a punishment that does mar your school record. The school could of recommended the boys to be kept out of school by their parents. The Police protocol of assessment and temporary assignment during standard procedure after performing their duty is not comparable. 

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 03:58:31 PM »
How is it jumping to conclusions when 3 boys wrestled the gun away on a bus from another student as the Police report states? For a witnessed defense of another student these three boys received punishment, and a suspension is a punishment that does mar your school record. The school could of recommended the boys to be kept out of school by their parents. The Police protocol of assessment and temporary assignment during standard procedure after performing their duty is not comparable.  

maybe because the police report takes days to be available to the public so the school had to act promptly on information that may or may not have been accurate.  I am also waiting to find out how the fight started as it doesn't say on the news.

last time I was involved in an accident the police report took almost 2 weeks to be available.  what i find stupid is for news to be reported without actually saying when and what time it happened.  this could have happened a zillion years ago as the news is incomplete.

remember when ronald reagan was shot and one of the secret service agents was suspended for causing the injuries to ronald reagan then they found out it was the bullet and he promptly got reinstated?  people have a tendency to act on incomplete information.

semp
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 04:01:00 PM by guncrasher »
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 04:22:46 PM »
Because of the thread about Sandy Hook, I'm going to keep my mouth shut.

However, this BS is all over. If I defend myself from someone, I will get suspended. If I am being started on, and I take matters into my own hands. I will get suspended. And as with all these cases, young people do not understand the effects of words and how they translate into actions. Because this is what happens, some kids start a fight with another group of kids, it escalates, and now there are guns being pointed at people with intent to kill.

The student in question saved a life, possibly several. But the result is the same. Schools do not approach or deal with these instances, and as a result, people get hurt. If just one person had intervened and made an effort, most of these "school shootings", attempted or otherwise, wouldn't happen. 
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 11:45:16 PM »
It's easy to justify this any number of ways.  Hey, it's just one day, hey, it's department or school policy for their own safety, etc etc.

The trouble for me is if it stays on his record in any way shape or form if he's cleared.  There are MANY schools that won't look at your application, or at least not look at it seriously if you have a suspension from high school on your record.   On every one I filled out for American universities there were questions regarding disciplinary action taken against me during previous education, with details as to what and why.  Imagine if the word "gun" appears in that section on this kid's form.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 11:44:39 AM »
Simple.

It is to keep him away from school until the authorities know who all the people involved and thier role.

I would feel really bad if I didn't suspend him and he gets shot the very next day at school.

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 12:45:46 PM »
I was thinking "hey thanks kid!".."you are a hero...have the next week off!"   :aok
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 05:43:51 PM »

This little fella got suspended for accidentally chewing his pop tart into a gun shape (he was trying to chew it into a mountain shape).

http://www.ktnv.com/news/watercooler/194673111.html

Just talking about a Hello Kitty bubble gun got this little gal suspended too.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/29/hello-kitty-bubble-gun-comment-lands-5-year-old-in-school-suspension/

Never fear, everything is under control!
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 05:49:43 PM »
Why can't I find this story on an actual news feed?