Author Topic: Can you tell me what I have?? Im confused..cant get a screen signal  (Read 364 times)

Offline madhogg

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
As you will soon find out, me not know about computers...could you please look at my tower and tell me wth I have... I want to get back online but cant get a signal from the tower to the screen.. I posted 2 vids on my youtube, maybe one of you will take one glance and tell me what i have....do i plug my screen on the front? The rear? Maybe it works with magic, i just dont have the right spell... Please help.                            

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZFarGkK64k&feature=youtube_gdata_player
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 05:04:39 PM by madhogg »

Offline ColTomb

• Copper Member
Re: Help me please!!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 05:04:14 PM »
madhogg, plug the video cable to the white one on the back. It may say 1 or DVI 1. If you are using a T.V. as a monitor you will need to change the input to computer or DVI or something like that.

You may need a DVI to VGA converter if your monitor does not support DVI. Try to find the model number of your motherboard, stamped on the board. What is the model number of your monitor ?

The gtx 550 may be a better video card but will not give you very high graphics, but playable non the less, that's if your motherboard supports PCIE x16. Find the motherboard model number and monitor model number.

and post it here..

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
Re: Can you tell me what I have?? Im confused..cant get a screen signal
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 05:16:22 PM »
Looks like you bought a craft store with all them ribbons you got.

:noid
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline madhogg

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 05:18:59 PM »
TYAN  S2466... Motherboard.....  Gp has sticker that reads..MGI PH-A128R  n  ETON ET866... Thanks for helping sir   :salute   will get monitor # after my smoke
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 05:23:22 PM by madhogg »

Offline madhogg

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 05:30:35 PM »
Pc monitor Model LE1987......    ViewSonic VT2430

Offline madhogg

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 05:44:03 PM »
I plugged the dvi ...my tv only has vga but the tower has no vga connections..i plugged the dvi to my pc monitor and it just says No Signal  :(

Offline ColTomb

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 05:46:47 PM »
madhogg, your computer is not really a computer, its a sever. You may still be able to play AH on it but not sure, I do not know much about severs. You will not be able to use the GTX 550 video card.

The motherboard only supports AGP x8 the 550 is PCI. Your monitor only supports VGA "the Blue One". you will need a DVI to VGA converter. On the front of your monitor last button on the right is "input"

you will need to change that to computer. You may need a "proper" operating system to run AH. Like I said it is a sever and I don't know much about severs..  Good luck...

Offline madhogg

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 05:57:05 PM »
Ahhhhhhhh  !!!!!!! Sooo freaking weak!!!   Thanks for the help... SERVER you say huh, i am about to see how far i can throw a server from the 4th floor....

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 11:22:10 PM »
 :rofl:aok
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 11:39:29 PM »
That puter does have a video card, I can see the two dvi ports in the first expansion slot. It has two cpu's and a scuzzy hard drive(s) (Prolly turning 15k). You would have to find out what operating system it is using. Hopefully some version of Windows. It might run AH with the video dumbed all the way down (no advanced graphics).  I certainly would not spend any money on it for playing games online. The floppy drive suggests it might be 8 years or older. If you have another monitor somewhere with a dvi connector or make sure check the input is selected to that computer, that would help to find out what you have there. It was mentioned that's a server.........agree. Good luck. I wouldn't use it as a boat anchor just yet.  :D it was an expensive machine to build, a long time ago.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 11:43:16 PM by Mano »
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline madhogg

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 01:55:31 AM »
Well I will use tbe tower and start from scratch... Thanks....or maybe i ll buy one of those ebay 500$ pc... :mad:   :cheers: 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 02:02:07 AM by madhogg »

Offline madhogg

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 02:08:22 AM »
:rofl:aok

Ha, ha, ha, SHUT UP Cowzy!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 03:07:02 AM »
Well I will use tbe tower and start from scratch...
That's not a bad idea at all, you already have a decent video card (mid class, 2 years old, fully AH capable) to start with. You might even be able to find a matching second hand motherboard and CPU of the era for next to nothing. The power supply might be good, but being of server type it doesn't have a separate line for the GPU, so that's on the list, too. Using the case and GPU may save you some $150-200 compared to all new equivalents.

Quote from: madhogg
Thanks....or maybe i ll buy one of those ebay 500$ pc... :mad:   :cheers:
That's not so good of an idea. A $500 pc usually has an integrated video circuit not suitable for gaming. They also tend to be built from cheapest possible components which again are built cheap, so upgrading one with, say, your GTX550, would cause issues in the power supply and possibly other areas, too.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline madhogg

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 08:48:30 PM »
That's not a bad idea at all, you already have a decent video card (mid class, 2 years old, fully AH capable) to start with. You might even be able to find a matching second hand motherboard and CPU of the era for next to nothing. The power supply might be good, but being of server type it doesn't have a separate line for the GPU, so that's on the list, too. Using the case and GPU may save you some $150-200 compared to all new equivalents.
That's not so good of an idea. A $500 pc usually has an integrated video circuit not suitable for gaming. They also tend to be built from cheapest possible components which again are built cheap, so upgrading one with, say, your GTX550, would cause issues in the power supply and possibly other areas, too.
I will use what i have a create a monster     :salute