Author Topic: Here we are !!!  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Here we are !!!
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2013, 04:06:03 PM »
Ok.  Got it.

Now, answer the collision question.  You have answers for everything else.  Please indulge me.  Everyone wants to answer the gunnery questions and if collisions are like gunnery, it should be easy so explain away...or else I might think your gunnery answers are horsepoo.
Collisions aren't modeled like gunnery.  Instead of the hit causing damage to the other guy it causes damage to you.  The reasoning behind this is that as with not being able to see an imminent attack's exact approach you cannot see the enemy's position relative to you on their FE.  This means that you may not attempt to dodge a collision because it doesn't look to you like there is about to be a collision.  Hitech puts the responsibility to avoid collisions on the only people who have the information needed to avoid the collision on their FE.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2013, 09:07:44 AM »
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2013, 11:04:21 AM »
Collisions aren't modeled like gunnery.  Instead of the hit causing damage to the other guy it causes damage to you.  The reasoning behind this is that as with not being able to see an imminent attack's exact approach you cannot see the enemy's position relative to you on their FE.  This means that you may not attempt to dodge a collision because it doesn't look to you like there is about to be a collision.  Hitech puts the responsibility to avoid collisions on the only people who have the information needed to avoid the collision on their FE.

unless of course you are in the bomb site and a fighter dives on you crashes but only your FE saw it.  perhaps we should allow the gunners to bomb so pilot can avoid collisions :).

the whole collision damage thingy is funny some times, but that's the way it is.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2013, 11:11:21 AM »
I never intimated magical hits.  Crosshairs on him, trigger pull, bullets go downrange, then, 3 seconds after they pass, the bullets hit.

Right, because the way the gunnery model works from the shooter's perspective is:

- You shoot at the guy's image on your FE.
- The bullets either hit or miss on your FE.
- Damage to his plane is calculated on your FE.
- Damage information about his plane is uploaded to the server from your FE.
- Damage information about his plane is downloaded to his FE from the server.
- His FE displays the damage to him.

Looking at it from the shootee's perspective:

- He shoots at your image on his FE that's lagging a little bit or a lot behind where you are on your FE.
- The bullets either hit or miss on his FE.
- Damage to your plane is calculated on his FE.
- Damage information about your plane is uploaded to the server from his FE.
- Damage information about your plane is downloaded to your FE from the server.
- Your FE displays the damage to you.

The larger the delay in the upload/download phases, the more noticeable the delay is between you seeing him taking the shot and your FE showing you the damage.  Also, if there's a delay in those upload/download phases, there's also likely a delay in the position updates of each of your planes, making the difference between where the two of you see each other larger.

All other airplanes' bullets on your screen are mere approximations.  About all they tell you is the general direction of their fire.

Collisions are simply calculated on your FE.  Wherever your FE puts his plane, if you intersect with it, it will cause you damage.  Any other way of doing it means you can't trust what you see and will run into situations where either you see yourself go through an enemy plane and take no damage, or you see yourself pass by an enemy plane without touching it and magically take damage.  Both of which options are poo.

The buff thing is probably the single greatest issue with it, but frankly, it's easier to shoot the buff down with guns than to try to drag your invisible trail plane through him.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11