Author Topic: Back pain  (Read 231 times)

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Back pain
« on: April 06, 2013, 11:37:28 PM »
Being the lucky bugger that I am, I've inherited back problems from my father... the major one being a disk that never wants to stay in place. Standing at a cash register for eight hours a day doesn't help either. Today however, I got a new pain but possibly a much simpler fix.

So I was working and all of a sudden if felt like someone had stuck a blade into my back just below the shoulder. It was so painful in fact that I had trouble breathing so they sent me home.  :rock I came home, took some pain killers and started watching movies on netflix. I got through three good movies, and one surprisingly good movie. In order: Transformers, Act of Valor, We were Soldiers, and Promethius.

ANYway... It's suddenly occurred to me why my back started hurting. It's on the right side of my back, the same hand that works the flight stick. Maybe... I've been playing Aces High too much... NAH! That would be stupid!  :D

Offline flight17

• Silver Member
Re: Back pain
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 12:27:01 AM »
ANYway... It's suddenly occurred to me why my back started hurting. It's on the right side of my back, the same hand that works the flight stick. Maybe... I've been playing Aces High too much... NAH! That would be stupid!  :D
Try using your left hand from time to time... :bolt:  :joystick: :bolt:

I have the same issue. The muscle right below my right shoulder gets tight and I get the same feeling of being stabbed in my upper ribs and it's hard to breath. Typically I can crack my shoulder by pulling it forward and tightening my muscle (doing a forward shrugging motion) and it cracks and then is an instant relief.

The Chiropractor says this all is caused by my neck though.
119th Riffle Tank Regiment leader -Red Storm Krupp Steel Scenario

Active Member of Air Heritage Inc. http://airheritage.org/

Offline RngFndr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 06:56:21 AM »
Huh Interesting, I have had that same stabbing twinge on occasion..
Like between the Shoulder and ribs???

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 09:19:55 AM »
Backs are tricky. I'm 6'1", but have an inseam of 31", which means all of my height is from my hip to my shoulders.... thats a lot of back! It doesn't help that I spent my better years moving pool tables and other types of vending machines up and down stairs before there was such a thing as a "stair climber". I can't count the number of times I've thrown out my back. I've been to doctors and chiropractors and had "therapy", and I have found one simple way that works for me. Stretching.

5 minutes of stretching every other day or so works wonders. I do only a couple. One, lay on the floor on your back, bring one knee to your chest (or as close as you can get for those chubby guys  :D ) rotate it over your body keeping your shoulders flat on the floor 10-15 times. Once you get a bit more limber, extend your leg as your knee almost touches the floor for more stretch. Do the same for the other side.

Second is again on the floor on your back. Pull one knee up to your chest as much as you can keeping the other leg strait and on the floor. Hold it tight for a couple of seconds and release. Do 10-15 of these for each leg.

I've had my wife do these when she threw out her back and though she said she was sore she was up and running with in a day. Just picking my kids up when they were small could throw mine out, but now at 55 I have no fear of lifting kids or pretty much anything else. It's only a few minutes now and then but the benefits have been awesome.

Remember, I'm NOT a doctor, but this is what worked for me.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 02:25:19 PM »
I am not a doctor either, but sounds like a rib is out.

Terrible feeling, hurts to breathe, lots of symptoms that you have described.

See a chiropractor.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.