Author Topic: Microsoft Windows XP has one year to live  (Read 4778 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Microsoft Windows XP has one year to live
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 06:51:04 AM »
Oh come on, you posted multiple posts on this UBB on how you were sticking to your tweaked XP long after Win7 was already established on the market. And there's nothing wrong with that, XP was a great OS especially if you overlook the security problems.

Here's one example of changes made in Win8: http://cloud.dzone.com/articles/windows-kernel-dev-discusses

I did stick with XP until Windows 7 got stable enough to be useful to me.  Being useful to me means a number of things.  Stability being achieved.  The initial release of Window 7 had severe compatibility and stability problems which finally got addressed.  Learning the architecture so that it could be manipulated to fit my needs took some time as well.  That said, Windows 7 will be the last Microsoft OS I will ever have.

I am turning my focus towards Linux now and pitching in to help with some applications I need, in order to remove Windows from my systems, at home.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 05:28:24 PM »
I once heard a rule of the thumb - never buy a Microsoft OS unless the most apparent issues have been cured with the first Servicepack.
Would be interesting to see how MS handles servicepack-alikes on Win 8.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 07:38:04 PM »
I once heard a rule of the thumb - never buy a Microsoft OS unless the most apparent issues have been cured with the first Servicepack.

It looks like Microsoft is going to eschew issuing free service packs and instead just go straight to new releases.  This way they can get more revenue.  8.1 or 9 is supposed to be out later this year.

That is my guess, for the moment.

It has always been a good rule of thumb to avoid Microsoft operating systems until the first service pack was released.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 07:40:25 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 12:18:04 AM »
It looks like Microsoft is going to eschew issuing free service packs and instead just go straight to new releases.  This way they can get more revenue.  8.1 or 9 is supposed to be out later this year.

That is my guess, for the moment.

It has always been a good rule of thumb to avoid Microsoft operating systems until the first service pack was released.

This is why MS had the first service pack on alpha testing already on Win7 release :D
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Lab Rat 3947

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 12:17:13 PM »
Best grab Windows 7 while you still can.

My almost 7 year old Dell XPS 400 has been upgraded to a 650W power supply and 4 gigs of RAM.
My processor is a dual core Pentium 820 (2.80Ghz, 800FSB0)
I'm currently using XP Pro SP3 32 bit. I was thinking of getting WIN7 Pro and going to 64 bit.
I know that I will have to increase the RAM, but also want to know what kind of problems am I facing ?
Can I upgrade with what I have or should I get a new mobo & i7 processor ?

LtngRydr
LtngRydr
14th FG Grounded

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 10:09:38 AM »
My almost 7 year old Dell XPS 400 has been upgraded to a 650W power supply and 4 gigs of RAM.
I'm currently using XP Pro SP3 32 bit. I was thinking of getting WIN7 Pro and going to 64 bit.
I know that I will have to increase the RAM, but also want to know what kind of problems am I facing ?

LtngRydr
Most likely your 7 year old motherboard can't take more than the 4 GB of RAM you already have. The memory type might also be the old DDR400/pc3200, which is both outdated and expensive. Keep that rig as is, using it as a decent secondary gaming rig for familiarizing your friends to the secrets of AcesHigh during a nice moist men only evening.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 07:30:11 AM »
Haha, skuzzy is funny :D

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2013, 12:46:19 PM »
I've got drive images saved of every microsoft OS going back to dos3.

Three of each...........one that is a clean install with all of the "service packs" and updates saved in it's own directory and one of a brand new install but with all the "successful updates" (not the ones that sucked) and one with all of my usual software installed and fully "registered".

None of the above have ever been connected to the internet meaning no chance for viruses in the drive images.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2013, 02:12:13 PM »
I've got drive images saved of every microsoft OS going back to dos3.

Three of each...........one that is a clean install with all of the "service packs" and updates saved in it's own directory and one of a brand new install but with all the "successful updates" (not the ones that sucked) and one with all of my usual software installed and fully "registered".

None of the above have ever been connected to the internet meaning no chance for viruses in the drive images.

What were you thinking to do with them? Run them in a virtual machine? They won't work with the current hardware anyway.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2013, 03:02:25 PM »
Whats wrong with you people?

Windows 8 is basically 7 with added security and metro...

If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Why do we have to make a religion out of the difference?
nothing wrong with those of us who know windows...microsoft is stepping on their willies harder and more often now, the crap in win8 is just the beginning. if it wasn't for the fact that winblowz was forced on the public through some shady back alley corporate dealings, we would all be talking about linux right now.

if you think win8 is more secure than any other version, the fact that microsoft has a complete inventory of your computer and everything you have installed or attached to it should make you feel very secure...
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2013, 10:50:19 PM »

LtngRydr

You want a new build. You want a 64bit OS so you can use more than 4GB of ram, minimum of 6GB at 1300+MHz, DDR3.
Stuff is cheap now. Just do not buy latest releases.
You want an SSD for OS.
A PCI-e 2.0 vid card.
An EX 58 or better mobo.
A 3GHz cpu/minimum.
750W PSU
W7 ultimate 64 bit
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2013, 11:09:21 PM »
You want a new build. You want a 64bit OS so you can use more than 4GB of ram, minimum of 6GB at 1300+MHz, DDR3.
Stuff is cheap now. Just do not buy latest releases.
You want an SSD for OS.
A PCI-e 2.0 vid card.
An EX 58 or better mobo.
A 3GHz cpu/minimum.
750W PSU
W7 ultimate 64 bit

Uh.. advice like that is better left unsaid. You do realize that 'A PCI-E 2.0 vid card' covers everything between $20 unplayable POS and $1200 high end card?

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2013, 01:19:17 AM »
What were you thinking to do with them? Run them in a virtual machine? They won't work with the current hardware anyway.

Strange......I run Win95 osr2, Win98SE, XPmce, and Win7 on the same machine without needing virtual machines just like I used to run WFW 3.11, win95 osr2, win98, NT3.51, and NT4.0 on the same machine while doing software quality assurance at Claritas.

I also run late software releases on hardware that supports ISA bus for machines that require it because the ISA card is mission critical and costs 15 grand which makes it not economically feasible to develop a newer version with a modern architecture.

Again......as stated in another thread.........some of us have more experience than you ever will and therefore do things you do not possess the knowledge to understand.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 01:28:14 AM by icepac »

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2013, 01:55:46 AM »

Never buy or fly the model "a" of anything
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2013, 10:47:37 AM »
Strange......I run Win95 osr2, Win98SE, XPmce, and Win7 on the same machine without needing virtual machines just like I used to run WFW 3.11, win95 osr2, win98, NT3.51, and NT4.0 on the same machine while doing software quality assurance at Claritas.

I also run late software releases on hardware that supports ISA bus for machines that require it because the ISA card is mission critical and costs 15 grand which makes it not economically feasible to develop a newer version with a modern architecture.

Again......as stated in another thread.........some of us have more experience than you ever will and therefore do things you do not possess the knowledge to understand.

Oh spare me the BS. There are no drivers available for any current hardware to those ancient OSes. You may be able to gimp along somehow but even that's pretty unbelievable.