Author Topic: No Icons for enemy  (Read 10656 times)

Offline seano

• Copper Member
No Icons for enemy
« on: April 11, 2013, 05:13:05 PM »
please disable all enemy icons. lets keep it real. ye i know i can disable them myself, but across the board would be awesome and lead to a more real flight experience.

how about a no enemy icon arena? good way to try it out. thank you

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: No Icons for enemy
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 05:14:28 PM »

we had that for a long time - AvA
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 05:24:47 PM »
If you want to be legally blind and not even allowed to drive a car, let alone a fighting machine in WW2, then yes turn icons off.

It's nothing more than elitist chest-thumping for an arbitrary handicap made up by a select few and forced upon the masses.

Offline ScottyK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 06:18:02 PM »
ALT+I. Till it says friendly icons only!!! BOING! Wish granted.
Childhood is over the moment you know your gonna die.  Fight not to Fail, or end up like the others.   In my crate, im the commander.

IGN: Scotty57

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 08:06:24 AM »

we had that for a long time - AvA

Still do!

- oldman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 08:10:42 AM »

Still do!

Thank you. Wasn't sure about that so I was a bit careful with my wording :)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 09:03:21 AM »
please disable all enemy icons. lets keep it real. ye i know i can disable them myself, but across the board would be awesome and lead to a more real flight experience.

DO IT IN THE CUSTOM ARENA

No icons at all for both sides is the best!
(not recommended for the MA though)....
Its fast passed exiting and takes split second decision making. it's an incredible adrenaline rush..

Disregard the critics
who state it's as if flying legally blind. Their opinions are not based in actual long term experience no mater how radioactive they present..

Both styles are fun in their own right.
Icons on is a blast and a must for the MA.

No icons is equally enjoyable
for a special event or historically based custom arena. Just look at FSO they limit the icon range. no icon is the same idea as limited icons but presented in a more purist form IE same idea but more intense..

Both settings have there place when presented correctly..

Personally I see no enemy icons is a bastardization of the whole concept and view it as a watered down.

what happens with NO enemy icons
is that friendly's tend to gang bang once a bandit is spotted because they can plainly see the friendly's icons chasing something...

With no icons at all on  
you need to communicate with your wing men give headings and call your position.There is a far greater level of uncertainty of who is friend or foe until you get within the 400-800k range.  ]That greatly reduces gang banging and makes evasive ACM far more effective.

With only enemy icons on
it kills that effect and there is far more of a gang bang effect.... not as severe as seen in some arenas were icons are set at 6k though.. Just look at arenas set at 6k icons... you cant argue the gang effect that takes place there were players all the way from 6k out can see whats happening and jump into a fight.

Both styles have merit both are fun.
Taking sides call folks elitist or dweeb is narrow minded and short sited.. do your own thing in a custom arena level the MA as it is its the bread and butter of AH..

The customs is were its at
for settings do it there get a group together and grow a custom server following that's what I'm working on It will be a custom NO icon ARENA called www.fogofwar.info may not be huge or for the masses but it will be fun for those you like that style...

seano you can do the same you can make your own custom arena that has No enemy icons and grow it over time if correctly promoted..
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 09:14:36 AM »
Disregard the critics
who state it's as if flying legally blind. Their opinions are not based in actual long term experience no mater how radioactive they present.
Actually the claim is based on tested data.  But you're free to continue your delusions.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
Actually the claim is based on tested data.  But you're free to continue your delusions.

The only delusion here is that there is only one correct perspective from which  to enjoy this cartoon.

I base my data on first effort and hands one experience in developing new skills beyond the status quo. 

Flying no icons is a developed skill. If you take away the icon your forced to ,learn and develop new ways to see and find cons. To enjoy it you must let go of your current means to view contacts. It actually becomes far more natural feeling. Eventually you will find the icons more of a distraction..

Here is an analogy...
Some like to fly fish.... some like to put a worm on a hook.... both work... Each person derives their own enjoyment from there chosen method...neither is wrong.. To each There own...

There is no reason to  be dogmatic about it

Saadi

Offline tmetal

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 11:16:31 AM »
The only delusion here is that there is only one correct perspective from which  to enjoy this cartoon.

I base my data on first effort and hands one experience in developing new skills beyond the status quo. 

Flying no icons is a developed skill. If you take away the icon your forced to ,learn and develop new ways to see and find cons. To enjoy it you must let go of your current means to view contacts. It actually becomes far more natural feeling. Eventually you will find the icons more of a distraction..

Here is an analogy...
Some like to fly fish.... some like to put a worm on a hook.... both work... Each person derives their own enjoyment from there chosen method...neither is wrong.. To each There own...

There is no reason to  be dogmatic about it

Well stated raven  :aok
The real problem is anyone should feel like they can come to this forum and make a wish without being treated in a derogatory manner.  The only discussion should be centered around whether it would work, or how it would work and so on always in a respectful manner.

-Skuzzy 5/18/17

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 11:19:09 AM »
more realistic would be the icon getting smaller as the enemy gets closer, to the point of a tiny dot above plane once within say 400 yards, text disappearing.....

I understand how Icons from far away replicate the vision of the eye, but once its close the huge Icon goes far beyond real vision, and makes it basically imposable to lose vis on the con.

icon normal as it is now at distance, as the con gets closer have it get smaller.... at 800 the text disappears....at 400 it becomes a small red dot.
this would be perfect IMO

Offline seano

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 11:26:54 AM »
wouldnt hurt to have 1 more arena with the full late war plane set. its not like there are other arenas taking up space. and if perks were counted i garuntee it would not be as dead as ww1, early war and mid war all combined.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 11:44:08 AM »

Flying no icons is a developed skill. If you take away the icon your forced to ,learn and develop new ways to see and find cons.

or new people can cancel their account faster than their 2 week trial expires.  it is already hard enough to fly a plane and with no icons they also have to be flying against ghosts.

I have been to the ava several times and I couldnt tell the planes apart from the shadows and that is when i was within 1k distance.  but if you insist on trying to make player play your game, remember one thing, people vote with their presence in this game and there's a reason why the ava only has a few members at a time while the ma has several hundred.

I keep telling people that the majority of the players dont really come here to learn new skills.  but just to drink a couple of beers, bs with some good friends and tell some exaggerated stories about the big mean plane that got away.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 12:10:30 PM »

or new people can cancel their account faster than their 2 week trial expires.  it is already hard enough to fly a plane and with no icons they also have to be flying against ghosts.

I have been to the ava several times and I couldnt tell the planes apart from the shadows and that is when i was within 1k distance.  but if you insist on trying to make player play your game, remember one thing, people vote with their presence in this game and there's a reason why the ava only has a few members at a time while the ma has several hundred.

I keep telling people that the majority of the players dont really come here to learn new skills.  but just to drink a couple of beers, bs with some good friends and tell some exaggerated stories about the big mean plane that got away.

semp

no icons inst for new players
Its for players that want something different and new after they have learned the sim..

That's why I said leave the MA as it is 
Because its HTC bead and butter.

Folks can start out in the MA learn the basics of a sim if that gets "same old same old" they can move to an arena that offers short icon ranges if that gets  boring they can move to a no icon arena like AvA or custom arena... This way there is something for all at any level and you don't exclude anybody..

more realistic would be the icon getting smaller as the enemy gets closer, to the point of a tiny dot above plane once within say 400 yards, text disappearing.....

I understand how Icons from far away replicate the vision of the eye, but once its close the huge Icon goes far beyond real vision, and makes it basically imposable to lose vis on the con.

icon normal as it is now at distance, as the con gets closer have it get smaller.... at 800 the text disappears....at 400 it becomes a small red dot.
this would be perfect IMO
:aok
Ink That is  a great Concept in other Sims you can actually set the icons like that if your hosting an arena under dot commands. It's kind of an intermediate setting.

Saadi

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 12:24:03 PM »
If you want to be legally blind and not even allowed to drive a car, let alone a fighting machine in WW2, then yes turn icons off.

It's nothing more than elitist chest-thumping for an arbitrary handicap made up by a select few and forced upon the masses.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 12:25:35 PM by jimson »