Author Topic: No Icons for enemy  (Read 10668 times)

Offline seano

• Copper Member
Re: No Icons for enemy
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2013, 01:38:14 AM »
also, i think fear of not knowing what type of fighter you are about to deal with scares a lot of people who are "score potatos". but not knowing is what makes it more fun. you could always add "host: you shot down so and so flying a so and so. or " so and so shot you down in a so and so.

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2013, 01:40:12 AM »
yes it would be tougher! thats the whole point! but it would be tougher for everyone. no one would have an edge when it came to starting a dogfight, scissors, or whatever.
Agree

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2013, 03:56:07 AM »
seano,

I've fought players like krupinski no icon. They still hand you your kester no icons or icons because they are good at this game regardless.

Do you realize you are admitting that you cannot compete in the MA on an equal skill level because of your Icon as the upshot of your statements? You offer "no Icons" as some kind of a magic handcuff against players more talented or more motivated than you to spend their time learning and practicing ACM. I suppose it's true that a blind man rules in a shin kicking contest against quadriplegics after you con someone into breaking all of their limbs for you.

This is the lamest self flagellation I've seen in the last decade on this forum...

From seano:
yes it would be tougher! thats the whole point! but it would be tougher for everyone. no one would have an edge when it came to starting a dogfight, scissors, or whatever.

And you pand, I didn't realize your colors ran this way by concurring with seanos reasoning.

I guess if you can't beat them heads up, you can try and con HiTech into castrating them for you with a trick to save your pride.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2013, 04:23:38 AM »
Nly time I turn icons off is during a duel. Makes no different to me. Although skins come into play slot more with this. But I like the current system we have of making it OPTIONAL -1
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2013, 08:32:00 AM »
And you pand, I didn't realize your colors ran this way by concurring with seanos reasoning.

I guess if you can't beat them heads up, you can try and con HiTech into castrating them for you with a trick to save your pride.
I am always for more realism than less. Dogfighting, picking, or running from a plane is much more complex than an icon where you always know their range. You don't AvA much do you?

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2013, 01:20:03 PM »
and in case you didnt know, if you turn down your lines of resolution your long range dots are bigger

Not a good idea. On a modern LCD screen, running at anything other than the native resolution will make *everything* fuzzy. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/119117/htg-explains-why-using-your-monitors-native-resolution-is-important/

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2013, 01:42:50 PM »
Not a good idea. On a modern LCD screen, running at anything other than the native resolution will make *everything* fuzzy. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/119117/htg-explains-why-using-your-monitors-native-resolution-is-important/

Agree

Regards,

Pandemonium

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2013, 04:10:21 PM »
im gonna argue this to the death. it wouldnt hurt to try it.

Yes it would.

HiTech

Offline seano

• Copper Member
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2013, 06:35:16 PM »
Yes it would.

HiTech
Sir, Hitech, can you please explain how it would hurt the overall system of the game and the players who play. more realism can't be a bad thing.
you guys always said a B-29 would never happen, it did.  could you just try it out for a week? during the week? or just set one up on a friday and come back monday and see how it goes?
 maybe enable dot dar map wide to ease the transition so players can tell red from green that way?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2013, 06:41:50 PM »
you guys always said a B-29 would never happen

They didn't say that. Players did.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 06:43:50 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2013, 06:49:59 PM »
They didn't say that. Players did.
Somewhere that myth started and it kept being repeated no matter how many times others said it wasn't true.  I recall the same comments about the B-25 with the explanation given that HiTech hated the B-25 so it wouldn't be added.

seano,

The only absolute no I have ever seen anybody at HTC give is to the nuke.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2013, 07:05:34 PM »
more realistic would be the icon getting smaller as the enemy gets closer, to the point of a tiny dot above plane once within say 400 yards, text disappearing.....

I understand how Icons from far away replicate the vision of the eye, but once its close the huge Icon goes far beyond real vision, and makes it basically imposable to lose vis on the con.

icon normal as it is now at distance, as the con gets closer have it get smaller.... at 800 the text disappears....at 400 it becomes a small red dot.
this would be perfect IMO

I'm on pg 2 and had to post this... Ink naild it imo, brilliant sir.

Edit

It's good as is now in the LW, I'd say a fur ball lake with no icons map?

I turn all icons off a lot of times in a fur ball just to work on my SA in the mains...
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,339706.0.html
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 07:10:26 PM by deadstikmac »

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2013, 07:19:53 PM »
Sir, Hitech, can you please explain how it would hurt the overall system of the game and the players who play. more realism can't be a bad thing.
you guys always said a B-29 would never happen, it did.  could you just try it out for a week? during the week? or just set one up on a friday and come back monday and see how it goes?
 maybe enable dot dar map wide to ease the transition so players can tell red from green that way?

Is there something we can do for you in AvA?

Or do you just think you might replicate the success of the MA by having every plane enabled for everyone but with no enemy icons?

I guess you are not advocating turning the MA into no enemy icons but adding a separate one identical in all aspects except icons?

Offline seano

• Copper Member
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2013, 08:34:53 PM »
Is there something we can do for you in AvA?

Or do you just think you might replicate the success of the MA by having every plane enabled for everyone but with no enemy icons?

I guess you are not advocating turning the MA into no enemy icons but adding a separate one identical in all aspects except icons?

exactly. one where your perks still count and get earned.

the ava is cool and i love some of the dirt strip airfields, which i think should be used in the main arena also. but the limited plane set kills it for me and most everyone else.

the game is cool as is right now, im just trying to advocate a little more realism. , hitech, look at my post count here, ive been playing many years and dont flood the boards with bs like some people, i spend time flying the simulator....

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2013, 11:59:37 PM »
Ok, can't help ya there, but good luck.

Bowing out of this one now.