Author Topic: Paratrooper/infantry roles  (Read 6144 times)

Offline matt

• Silver Member
Re: Paratrooper/infantry roles
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 11:12:57 AM »
It is seldom that I throw in a new wish (and oft I play devils advocate, regarding other wishes) but, and let me preface with my having no clue about how hard this would be to code, what about expanding the role of drunks in the game?

Right now our paratroopers/mobile infantry have but one job (and they do it rather well) - capture a maproom. What if they could be coded to maintain either a defensive or offensive perimeter? The option would be selected at the time of loadout (capture/perimeter). On a defensive footing, they could be distributed around town to perhaps intercept invading paratroopers. On an offensive footing they could be dropped anywhere on the map to attack enemy ground vehicles when they get within a certain range (I reckon this would require coding a bazooka or panzerfaust). Another possibility would be a minefield loadout (with a set period of time before it disables itself).

It would also be cool to see the drunks skinned by the delivery vehicle country of origin.

Eh, just a thought. No crisis without.  :D
Would they be zombie defenders -1 +1 only if i could have a submachine gun , bazooka ,grenades

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 11:13:57 AM »
Would they be zombie defenders -1 +1 only if i could have a submachine gun , bazooka ,grenades

Not enough room in your cockpit.

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 11:38:31 AM »
Not enough room in your cockpit.
beowulf m16 :D
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 12:45:39 PM »
It is seldom that I throw in a new wish (and oft I play devils advocate, regarding other wishes) but, and let me preface with my having no clue about how hard this would be to code, what about expanding the role of drunks in the game?

Right now our paratroopers/mobile infantry have but one job (and they do it rather well) - capture a maproom. What if they could be coded to maintain either a defensive or offensive perimeter? The option would be selected at the time of loadout (capture/perimeter). On a defensive footing, they could be distributed around town to perhaps intercept invading paratroopers. On an offensive footing they could be dropped anywhere on the map to attack enemy ground vehicles when they get within a certain range (I reckon this would require coding a bazooka or panzerfaust). Another possibility would be a minefield loadout (with a set period of time before it disables itself).

It would also be cool to see the drunks skinned by the delivery vehicle country of origin.

Eh, just a thought. No crisis without.  :D

:airplane: +100! But to expand that a little easier, I would suggest that we be allowed to drop or land troops as close as 1 mile from edge of town, and those troops would all take different direction to map room! I just see it now, 2 sets of troops, 20, all released at the same time and guys in jeeps trying to hunt them down and kill them.
Would be fun and add something else interesting to the game!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline hawkeyeluke13

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 05:34:05 PM »
THIS IS EXACTLY MY IDEA.
I came up with this months ago,  Instead of just a squad, make it a battalion, make squads actually have to drop multiple loads of paratroopers and provide proper CAS. This would make an awesome way to add more CAS roles  :old:

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 06:30:48 PM »
+1

I would also suggest the load out for the goon, LTVA, M3, SdKFz be different as well. Goons carry 12 troops, while GV's carry the 10 needed to capture  the base. :banana:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline tuton25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 07:37:41 PM »
three words:
First Person Shooter
><))))*> Da Fish is in Da Fight

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 07:42:18 PM »
three words:
First Person Shooter
Three more:
Different wish thread. :D

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 08:14:26 PM »
This has been discussed before, in detail.. I remember even HT said he kinda liked the idea..
Never nailed down the form it would take tho..

I always liked the Idea of "GV Bailout"..
Carrying a Thompson and 2 Bazooka shots.. Or MP40 and two Panzerfaust.. Or a Sten and PIAT..
Or PPsh41, and Panzerfaust, (I am unaware of a Russian produced, rocket propelled AT device in WW2)

That would be good for starters, and would serve to get things moving.. 

STEN and PIAT?? So the Brit modelled troops wouldnt be able to hit anything, their STENs would empty their mags on touchdown, and the PIATs would fire one round that doesnt go far enough to avoid fragging the firer, and then be incapable of being recocked because none of the troops would be strong enough :devil
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 11:49:39 PM »
Im pretty sure this idea has been suggested several times in the past.

My guess is that programming the drunks behavior is not a huge deal, the problem would probably be whether the drunks would be controlled on the player side or the server side.

If the drunks are tied to players PC then you have all the lag issues of that player affecting the drunks and subsequently other players.

If they are tied to Htc servers, then it would be a drain on the system. From what I can tell, the game is designed to be as passive a system as possible on the server side to prevent such a drain.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2013, 09:59:01 AM »
That is a nice idea. The problem is that the same vehicles are used by all countries. We have but 1 troop carrier plane which is an American one. German paras uniforms would be great but will not fit the plane. Same situation for the ground troop carriers - they are all allied.

As for troops AI - please dont!
The less AI in the game the better. I could grind my teeth and agree to a FPS game within AH with player troops, which may actually attract more players to AH, but I do not like the idea of AI that does anything more complicated then making a bee line to the map room.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2013, 10:11:44 AM »
That is a nice idea. The problem is that the same vehicles are used by all countries. We have but 1 troop carrier plane which is an American one. German paras uniforms would be great but will not fit the plane. Same situation for the ground troop carriers - they are all allied.

Methinks you quoted the edited quote by another poster. I also added:

Quote from: Arlo
.... with further reason to model the JU-52.

As for troops AI - please dont!
The less AI in the game the better. I could grind my teeth and agree to a FPS game within AH with player troops, which may actually attract more players to AH, but I do not like the idea of AI that does anything more complicated then making a bee line to the map room.

The static drunk option would be an easier option for infantry tactics in Aces High. Granted, there would be no mobility once dropped into position, coding offensive capability within a set perimeter would probably be taxing enough (though maybe the same coding used in aa could be applied). Adding non-AI infantry would change the game, radically, overnight. Yes there would be an influx. Perhaps enough Private Ryans would log on to fill all three main arenas to the max, transforming the game from being primarily a flight sim with vehicle and ship combat as additional secondary options ..... to a variant of WWII online (oy). While this may represent a revenue increase, the veteran players who came to Aces High because it's the best WWII air combat game/sim online will get the shaft. With the AI infantry option, I'd venture not so much. My take, anyhow.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 10:24:10 AM by Arlo »

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2013, 11:18:37 AM »
Actually I think I would prefer AI on a modified (read limited) "commander" type platform rather than FPS.

There are loads of FPS stuff out there and this game is really FPV (vehicle....... be it ac or gv) combat. Troops are really a weapon that can be deployed from vehicles in that context.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2013, 11:20:15 AM »
Actually I think I would prefer AI on a modified (read limited) "commander" type platform rather than FPS.

There are loads of FPS stuff out there and this game is really FPV (vehicle....... be it ac or gv) combat. Troops are really a weapon that can be deployed from vehicles in that context.

My thoughts/feelings, exactly.

Offline Stellaris

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2013, 11:23:28 AM »
+1 for more active troops.