Author Topic: Wing stress  (Read 5913 times)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
Re: Wing stress
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2013, 02:31:59 AM »
  What? Do you mean to say you can't get more force out of something than you put in? Oh ok, that was not what you meant. Thank God....

Gaston

The first law of thermodynamics says it. I merely agree with it.

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2013, 04:13:16 PM »

The first law of thermodynamics says it. I merely agree with it.

Shida,   I always thought if you used a tool like a pulley or lever and fulcrum you could get more effort put out than was required to put in!  Heavens knows aircraft are full of pulleys and levers...... :D

:rofl :rofl :rofl

You engineer types,always looking at the fine print and never seeing the big picture!

:salute

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2013, 04:24:44 PM »
  What? Do you mean to say you can't get more force out of something than you put in? Oh ok, that was not what you meant. Thank God....

Gaston
Name something that yields more energy than is put into it.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2013, 04:29:03 PM »
I seem to remember an old discussion here years ago about the P-38's limit load. Having been designed as an high alt interceptor it only had a limit load of 6G, if my memory serves me. Also someone here thought it was the cause of the death of an American ace in the Pacific.

It wasn't what caused McGuire's crash.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Gaston

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2013, 07:46:03 PM »
Name something that yields more energy than is put into it.

I didn't say more energy, I said more FORCE... What is bending the wings on a constant speed turning aircraft (especially at a constant speed, so at the lower speed end) is purely a FORCE, and that has nothing to do with energy...

That you can get more FORCE out of something than you put in has been established since Archimedes.

All those who claimed that my idea, which was that a light aircraft with bigger wings might possibly bend its wings with more force, at the same G load, than a heavier aircraft with smaller wings at the same G load (not as an established fact, but just as something theoretically possible and allowed by physical laws), and then went on to claim that this violated physical laws, then these people simply showed they did not understand the difference between force and energy...

Although this apparently has never been measured in horizontal turns for low-wing nose-driven aircrafts (horizontal turns which I think are fundamentally different in dynamics than dive pull-outs), my basic idea that a Spitfire may, under horizontal turn circumstances, have a heavier wingloading than a FW-190A, is allowed by basic physical laws...

As far as I know, all the wing bending that was definitely tested on low-wing nose-driven types is static ground wing bending tests...

To simplify, the nose position of the thrust, and the assymetrical incoming air of a turn, both open the door (in my opinion) to in-flight leverages in a horizontal turns that would not really show up in a dive pull-out (which dive pull-outs I am told are the only way wing-bending measurements in flight are actually taken: Don't ask me why).

It is not clear to me that even dive pull-outs wing-bending measurements in flight were ever done with nose-pulled low-wing monoplanes, since those tend to be old or low-cost aircrafts.

In-flight wing-bending measurements are a very expensive and very uncommon thing for small or old aircrafts, apparently... Ask any Warbird operator (as I have): It is not even on their radar screen...

Once again, it is part of the most basic laws of physics that you can get more force out of something than you put in... If the speed in the turn is not decaying, as with sustained speed turns of around 3 Gs, then you are dealing only with pure force bending the wings.

Zero energy at play, except for what is burning away in the fuel tank...

And with these basic physical facts established, some first hand observations finally start to make sense:

RCAF John Weir: "A Hurricane was built like a truck, it took a hell of a lot to knock it down. It was very manoeuvrable, much more manoeuvrable than a Spit, so you could, we could usually outturn a Messerschmitt. They'd, if they tried to turn with us they'd usually flip, go in, at least dive and they couldn't. A Spit was a higher wing loading..."

"The Hurricane was more manoeuvrable than the Spit and, and the Spit was probably, we (Hurricane pilots) could turn one way tighter than the Germans could on a, on a, on a Messerschmitt, but the Focke Wulf could turn the same as we could and, they kept on catching up, you know."

Gaston

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2013, 08:12:22 PM »
Force is energy.

As to your laughable "theory", as has been explained, you'd need something like 30 degrees of flex to accomplish what you claim happens.  You don't need instruments to see that, it can be observed from the ground.

You claim that Gs can be different for different aircraft doing the same circle at the same speed and physics simply says that isn't possible.  To pick your two pet bogeymen, a Spitfire and an Fw190 doing 250mph in a 750ft radius circle will both be under exactly the same G forces.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2013, 02:56:29 AM »
  That you can get more FORCE out of something than you put in has been established since Archimedes.

No, it hasn't. You don't even understand simple machines do you?

Shida,   I always thought if you used a tool like a pulley or lever and fulcrum you could get more effort put out than was required to put in!  Heavens knows aircraft are full of pulleys and levers...... :D

This is a disaster Morfiend! Why did you have to ruin our conspiracy against Gaston. Someone call HTC immediately and fess up. Tell them to remodel the 190, it should out turn a Spitfire after all since the 190 has more levers in it  :old:

HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2013, 02:36:36 PM »
No, it hasn't. You don't even understand simple machines do you?

This is a disaster Morfiend! Why did you have to ruin our conspiracy against Gaston. Someone call HTC immediately and fess up. Tell them to remodel the 190, it should out turn a Spitfire after all since the 190 has more levers in it  :old:

Are you sure about that,the FW's use electically controlled flaps and IIRC also for tail trim so it might actually have fewer levers and pulleys than a spit,TBH I'd have to count them all and compare but it has to be the reason the spit can out turn the FW's.... :devil

Offline JohnnyHeelz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2013, 04:13:10 PM »
You do, you gave me that doc back in 2005.  I'll try to find it. 

I have the data for the Mossie somewhere.  I'll see if I can dig it out when I have time.

Offline drgondog

• Copper Member
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2013, 04:49:14 PM »
I seem to remember an old discussion here years ago about the P-38's limit load. Having been designed as an high alt interceptor it only had a limit load of 6G, if my memory serves me. Also someone here thought it was the cause of the death of an American ace in the Pacific.

Tommy McGuire stalled while pulling a high G turn with his externals still attached.

So his GW was very high and 6G in a turn at near corner speed put him into an accelerated stall (probably) and at max GW it was much higher weight than the original design Limit Load...

The standard for US structural engineers was 8G Limit and 12G Ultimate for the original design gross weight for symmetrical load conditions.  The P-38 (like the P-51) grew significantly and as a result the Limit and Ultimate G loading decreased inversely proportional to the increase in GW over the original.  When a Mustang grew from 8000 pound design GW the Limit was 8G (~stress close to elastic peak). when it grew to say 10,000 pounds it would have reduced to 6.4G.

If you can find a P-38 pilot handbook the V-N diagram will show you the max speed to G plot - all based on design GW and max CL without flaps.
Nicholas Boileau "Honor is like an island, rugged and without shores; once we have left it, we can never return"

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2013, 05:50:03 PM »

Are you sure about that,the FW's use electically controlled flaps and IIRC also for tail trim so it might actually have fewer levers and pulleys than a spit,TBH I'd have to count them all and compare but it has to be the reason the spit can out turn the FW's.... :devil

:cry :aok

I once tried to think like Gaston, just as an experiment. Look what I came up with to explain how a Spitfire could out-turn a 190:-

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,330942.msg4451230.html#msg4451230

:banana: :banana:

HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Gaston

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2013, 05:57:08 PM »
Force is energy.

As to your laughable "theory", as has been explained, you'd need something like 30 degrees of flex to accomplish what you claim happens.  You don't need instruments to see that, it can be observed from the ground.

You claim that Gs can be different for different aircraft doing the same circle at the same speed and physics simply says that isn't possible.  To pick your two pet bogeymen, a Spitfire and an Fw190 doing 250mph in a 750ft radius circle will both be under exactly the same G forces.

I never claimed the Gs were different, I claimed the forces applied to the wings were different, and not proportional to wingloading, between different aircraft types for the same G.

Are you saying 3 Gs produces 15° of flex?

As to force is energy...: Did you and nrshida ever finish high school?

You guys pretend to be knowledgeable in flight physics, and you don't even know the difference between FORCE and ENERGY????!!!!

Jeez, some high schools are really no longer doing their work...

Ask any engineer what the difference between force and energy is... Grown-ups will do as well...

Gaston

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2013, 06:23:18 PM »
 I never claimed the Gs were different, I claimed the forces applied to the wings were different, and not proportional to wingloading, between different aircraft types for the same G.

Are you saying 3 Gs produces 15° of flex?

As to force is energy...: Did you and nrshida ever finish high school?

You guys pretend to be knowledgeable in flight physics, and you don't even know the difference between FORCE and ENERGY????!!!!

Jeez, some high schools are really no longer doing their work...

Ask any engineer what the difference between force and energy is... Grown-ups will do as well...

Gaston

Your are right Gaston. It's just not good enough!  :mad:

We should be reported to The Scientific Inquisition for heresy, for believing in those satanic works the laws of thermodynamics and other dastardly writings. It's Karnak's fault, he lead me astray.  :eek:

Never mind high school, I shall be sending back both my Bachelor of Science degree and my Master's degree certificates at once and asking for a refund  :old:

HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Franz Von Werra

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2013, 07:16:15 PM »
Uhh, I'll try...

Force = mass x acceleration ?

force x distance = work ?

Work per time = energy ?

E=mgh ? (Mass x gravity x height)
E=.5 mv2 (1/2 mass x velocity squared)

Not sure which type of force or energy...
Uhh, so did our space shuttle crash or blow up?

To answer the question:
Energy = work/time = (force x distance)/time ?
Do I get a star?  :D

Extra credit!
Force = Energy x time / distance ?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 10:12:17 PM by Franz Von Werra »
fuel burn 1x please! - '1x Wednesdays?'

Offline Franz Von Werra

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2013, 11:12:57 PM »
We can't create or destroy energy.
We can only manipulate it, or change its form.
So... we never get complete energy transfer because each time we change it, we lose some.
Efficiency = (energy we put in - energy we got out) / energy we put in.

For kinetic energy ( 1/2 mass x velocity squared)... our velocity is losing some E to air resistance.
Air resistance has to do with the frontal area and shape of the plane.
Air resistance also has to do with friction created from the 'surface tension' or 'boundary layer' of air going past the plane. Wax your plane! This is why large wing area usually means slower, but turnier. And small wings are usually faster and less turny.  
Also air resistance has to do with lift, the more lift created, the more forward energy is transfered away. Don't turn so much!

For potential energy (mgh) or (mass x gravity x height) we are fighting against gravity!
So diving down and climbing up, we constantly lose energy to gravity. Our Work = force x distance too, distance is much futher when bnz'ing to just flying straight. Energy = work/time.

Wing loading is plane weight / wing area.
Power loading is engine power x wing loading.
Why an f14 will out turn a zeke? F14 is heavier, but much more wing area and more powerful engines.
Hence the more powerful 109s should be faster than spitys! And still able to turn with them in a full power turn,  but not in a power off turn, hmm, depends on the ratios.

For wing stress, forces / energy can get in sink (be in phase with) with other forces.
Example: planes engine, frame, wings, and control surfaces - like elevators, each as sparate components could all reach a state of 'harmony' so flabbing in the same dirrection at the same time, cooperatingly overstressing, and... something breaks, like the elevators. With speed, flabbing gets more energy from air passing.

And I've thoroughly confused me self now. Someone correct all me mistakes pls!

Some stuff I don't understand, why didn't th Ki team just make stronger elevators?
Same with the yak3 team. Could have to do with the mach cone squishing stuff just at the right spot to break it?
Same question about 109 (and all other planes) compression. Change strength and shape till fixed?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 11:33:04 PM by Franz Von Werra »
fuel burn 1x please! - '1x Wednesdays?'