Author Topic: Wing stress  (Read 5912 times)

Offline Franz Von Werra

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: Wing stress
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2013, 11:58:59 PM »
Other thing you guys are talking about is 'statics' of trusses (frames)

Look up 'statics'... NOT statistics btw.

Its about sheer and bending moment diagrams.
Put a 'load' on a system/framing... you get sheer and bending.

Sheer moment diagrams are for when frames have opposing forces and want to 'snap'...
Bending is when the frame does just that, bends.

Also torq = perpendicual force x distance.  <-- why spity's got their wing tips cut to roll better, that little bit of area was FAR from the frame, and apparently it was significant enough to chop some off.

Yes different areas, shapes, and weights get different results from same evenly distributed loads - air, when pulling Gs.

'Mechanics of materials', different types of materials break at different times, some are brittle, some are ductile (bendable).
Need this stuff just right, thought I read yaks broke wings on early ones because the rivits, put in hot, and the holes something so too tight, brittle also, sheering happened under G's. But this is some of what happens when trying to copy stuff and not knowing how it was assembled.
Boss coming, hasta la visatas, from me phone!

Editting, yeah 109s had all the aces! 190 pilots 2nd place!  262, Komets, V1 and V2's, salamander too!  luft tech was uber!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 02:17:07 AM by Franz Von Werra »
fuel burn 1x please! - '1x Wednesdays?'

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2013, 10:39:51 AM »
I am so lost, and it my thread :cry
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2013, 11:09:49 AM »
I am so lost, and it my thread :cry
don't read anything Franz posts and you will be fine...
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Franz Von Werra

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2013, 03:41:10 PM »
Ok, someone said about 'levers' and "pullys.'

THIS IS TO GET MORE FORCE OUT THAN PUT IN.
The topic is 'Mechanical Advantage.'
Back to this:
Work = force x distance

:banana: vs  :noid
Suppose, Mr Banana, wants to use a lever to lift a Rock .
He puts a 'fulcrum' pivot point between, like a teeder-todder

We have work done by Mr Banana, and the work done to the rock.
The Distances, D, is each distance to the fulcrum pivot point.
Work for banana will be W(b) = F(b) x D(b)
Work on the rock will be W(r) = F(r) x D(r)

Ideally (not realistically) conditions would be no work lost...  sooo
Work done by Mr Banana would equal work done on the Rock.
W(b) = W(r)
or
F(b) x D(b) = F(r) x D(r)

If f(b) is small, but the D(b) is far, and d(r) is short then the F(r) is large.
Hmm
f(b) x D(b) = F(r) x d(r).
Put the fulcrum nearer to the rock.

Same as a hydraulic lift.
Small pressure on large area = big pressure on small area.

THIS IS TO GET MORE ENERGY THAN PUT IN.
Ok, only way to do this is to find energy that was already stored.

Energy = mass x gravity x height.
Work = force x distance
Energy = work / time = force x distance / time.
Coyote vs Rock vs Roadrunner
Coyote puts a little force to push a round rock up a tall mountain, by a not-steep shallow road, but far distance over a long time, and now has a lot of E=mgh, big H, over a long time.
AT THIS POINT, he can now put only a small energy to send the rock falling down fast and smash stuff with a lot of E.
Stored Energy.
If Coyote FOUND a rock at high alt, then he could technically get more out than HE put in.
The E was already there.

Extreme example:
Kinda like a nuclear bomb, a little bit of energy to release what was already there a LAGE ammount of atomic energy..
Not so extreme example:
A 30mm tater hitting something, igniting by impact heat(?) and then a large release of chemical energy xfered into pressure and heat - an explosion.

Yes you can get more Energy out than you put in, if it was already there or pre stored.

So that proves it, p38 Js should sux! haha just kidding.  :banana:

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2013, 05:48:04 PM »
From a "get more energy out than you put in" standpoint we have to include the energy from plate tectonics that raise the rock up there or the energy of the explosives that was created during the manufacturing process of that shell to be energy that "you" put in.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2013, 08:04:15 PM »
Energy = work / time = force x distance / time.

Work per time = energy ?

Once you introduce time, you are talking about power, so to be correct you need to replace the word energy in the quotes above with the word power.

Hope that helps.

Badboy

The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline Franz Von Werra

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2013, 02:14:58 AM »
Eeeek, you might be right, I need to put actual units in, instead of just titles, to see how it works out.  :cry

To be continued!    :(

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2013, 12:19:18 PM »
Uhh, I'll try...

Force = mass x acceleration ?

force x distance = work ?

Work per time = energy ?

E=mgh ? (Mass x gravity x height)
E=.5 mv2 (1/2 mass x velocity squared)

Not sure which type of force or energy...
Uhh, so did our space shuttle crash or blow up?

To answer the question:
Energy = work/time = (force x distance)/time ?
Do I get a star?  :D

Extra credit!
Force = Energy x time / distance ?

No STAR for you.
Power = D * F  / T (like 1 HP =  550 ft lb per second)
And Since  D * F = Work
Work per time I.E. Work/time = power.

From above P * T = D * F

Since Energy E = P * T (like  WATT HOURS or KWH)
E = D * F
hence Energy = Work

While Gaston is correct in that Force and distance can be converted to and from each other via levers or pulleys while still maintaining the Same Energy
Since W = E and W = F * D take any distance you want and solve for the force.

His conclusion from the above fail to take into account things like the direction of a force. And many people seem to think of G's as a force, it is not, it is a unit of acceleration.

HiTech

Offline Franz Von Werra

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2013, 01:36:19 PM »
Will the real caoder please stand up!  

Ok, yes difficult to type science on computers, let alone a phone.
Can't realy type equations let alone graphs with vectors, or free-body diagrams, let alone ridgid-body diagrams.

But the real question is... drum roll...

WHY DO 190s ALWAYS FLY PULLING UP???   :huh
WHY DO 410s ALWAYS FLY NOSING DOWN???    :headscratch:

How to aim the Great German Luftwaffe fighter or bomber-intercepters' weapons with such issues?!?!

Yes STAR for me!  and no STAR for you!    :ahand
Fix combat trim please!

« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 01:48:49 PM by Franz Von Werra »

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2013, 02:18:44 PM »
All this palaver and magical thinking reminded me of something I always wondered about with wings.  It is normal to have a wing designed to stall inboard first so that ailerons remain effective as long as possible. So, if you are pulling 6g in your 2000lb P-Whatzit, just nibbling at a stall, does that mean that the 12000lbs of force holding you up is now further out along your wing thereby raising the bending moment on the spar compared to a uniformly distributed beam model?

As you pass through the stall is there a spike in bending moment that is sharply different from loading your wing with sandbags?

Anybody?

Pies not kicks.

Offline Franz Von Werra

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2013, 03:10:37 PM »
Out of my league here but I'll try.

Single engine prop, the prop would still be putting some airflow for lift even at zero speed.
And the flaps are always 'inboard' so seems the ailerons would be left out as 2nd place anyways.

Twin engine planes, same thing - flaps on both sides of engines for most planes?

Ailerons are outside towards ends of wings so their area gets better leverage.
Torq = force x perpendicular distance. Imagine using a wrench to take off a bolt, push from outer side of the lever.

For the spike... hmm, not sure the topic...
change in position over time = speed
change in speed over time = acceleration
change in acceleration over time = "the jerk" ~ Mr Bell lol
so the 'spike' might be the same as 'jerk'... a change in acceleration (over a very short time.)

Could be that the metal of the wings has some elasticity and gets in phase with the g's on the plane?
Like just as the g's come off the wings, the metal unloads and wobbles/slingshots back?
Or the disruption of airflow from the g's which was smooth thru corner, then flutters as the angle of attack changes and gets smooth again?
Ok I'm lost!

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2013, 06:31:10 PM »
As you pass through the stall is there a spike in bending moment that is sharply different from loading your wing with sandbags?

Yes, as the pressure distribution on the wing changes the bending moments and thus the stress values change. Spikes in the wing stress are also due to the rate at which those changes take place. Sandbags are a static load, wing loading is dynamic. For example, a suddenly applied load will cause stress values double that of static loads.

You can test this yourself by carrying out a simple experiment. If you take a set of kitchen scales and place an object on the scales very slowly and very gently. You should see the needle on the scales rise slowly until it reaches the weight of the object. Now start again, but this time place the object in contact with the pan on the scales so gently that the needle hardly deflects, then just let it go. That's a suddenly applied load and the needle will momentarily spike at a value double the weight of the object. The needle will normally oscillate for a short time (depending on how much friction is causing damping in the scales) before settling back at the weight of the object.

Aeroelastic effects can damp the stress response, and under certain conditions an oscillatory response can lead to flutter and rapid load onset and thus large magnification of the stress.   

Regards

Badboy
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:44:57 PM by Badboy »
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2013, 03:56:42 AM »
I have sometimes wondered if the floppy wings of early Spitfires actually helped in delaying stall by slightly bending under heavy load to add to wash-out that was already built in the wing.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline Gaston

• Copper Member
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2013, 06:44:03 PM »
No STAR for you.
Power = D * F  / T (like 1 HP =  550 ft lb per second)
And Since  D * F = Work
Work per time I.E. Work/time = power.

From above P * T = D * F

Since Energy E = P * T (like  WATT HOURS or KWH)
E = D * F
hence Energy = Work

While Gaston is correct in that Force and distance can be converted to and from each other via levers or pulleys while still maintaining the Same Energy
Since W = E and W = F * D take any distance you want and solve for the force.

His conclusion from the above fail to take into account things like the direction of a force. And many people seem to think of G's as a force, it is not, it is a unit of acceleration.

HiTech

Well indeed it looks like power is a more correct term than my use of the term energy: Energy was explained to me by an engineer as force over distance over time, as opposed to force over distance being work, which I misremembered as just "force"... He did not use the term power in the conversation we had, for some reason, but it was twenty years ago... At least now I know the exact terms...

G is a unit of acceleration, but the momentum of the fuselage pressing down on the wings, in a sustained turn, is work: The turn being sustained speed means time disappears from the equation beyond the gas tank: It is just force over distance.

In any case, the accepted wingloading theory, which in my opinion is unverified for WWII-type low wing monoplane nose-driven fighters (I have yet to find any evidence of wing bending measurement ever being taken during horizontal turns, as opposed to dive pull-outs, but would love to be shown some...), this currently accepted theory is different from my theory  -that the FW-190A exerts less work on its wings than the Spitfire-  because it assumes the distances between the various forces are that same between types.

First of all, I find it suspicious that the assymetrical inflow of air into the prop disc is not taken into account: From what I understand, this is assumed to be negligible... I don't see what is implausible about a hundred pounds of force being required for each degree of angle of attack increase, when forcing a flat disc to follow a curvature... Over the whole thrust of the disc, a hundred pounds per degree is very little...

The only argument against this (made to me by an aeronautic engineer) is the following: At a modest sustained turn 7° AoA, it would imply 700 lbs of force at the nose, which would require a similar force on the elevators to maintain just 7° (maybe just 500 lbs given the tail being longer than the nose, a ratio of about 1.5 to one on a P-51).

Obviously the pilot is not figting such huge forces in his elevators... The error everyone is making is to assume that the movement of the whole aircraft makes, while starting to pivot nose up, is initially just a pivoting action around its CG. I think the pivot point is very briefly closer to the prop, and this means the whole aircraft is, for a micro-second, more sweeping tail-down into the angle rather than pivoting, which action could shift the CL in front of the CG.

The CL shifting in front of the CL means that, as the turn tightens, the further pivoting action is actually helped by the scissor action of the CL being in front of the CG: That is why the pilot cannot feel the resistance of the prop in his elevator...

You can actually see the effect in the very claims Hitech has made of his own flying experience: He has confirmed 6G dive pull-outs in a P-51D at speeds well below 300 mph.

Yet, when the Society of Experimental Test Pilots tested in 1989 the minimum speed to reach 6 Gs in actual horizontal turns, the minimum speed the P-51D needed to reach 6 G horizontally without stalling was 320 mph: Why is 6 G so easy to reach below 300 mph in dive pull-outs compared to genuine horizontal turns?

Well at least the question must be asked before it can even be answered... The answer could be that, while diving, the prop disc is unloaded by air hitting the front of the blade at a greater rate than propulsion: This could tip the balance to nullify the effect of the prop getting assymetrical incoming air...

Suggestions that the SETP were somehow distorting the tests, which they bothered to make at great expense, doesn't seem too convincing to me... Sorry, but I'll take their word over yours...

So if, for the sake of argument, we accept that through incoming air assymetry the prop is putting, through nose length leverage, a greater downward force on the wings, for this to actually work at bending the wings more, then the wings themselves also have to come up with more force coming up, for the whole thing to stay up...

I think there is a way for the wing to generate correspondingly greater lift: If the CL does shift forward, there is something going on with the airflow around the wing... The fact that no wing bending tests in actual horizontal turns has surfaced is pretty telling: I would have expected those to be easily found...

The point I wanted to make about the Force/Energy issue is that there is no physical laws against getting more "work" out of something than you put in: A simple lever will do it... The assumption here is that, in the case of these aircrafts, the direction of the "work" creates no leverages that could play around with the outcomes: Until that assumption is backed by actual wing bending measurements in actual flight while actually turning horizontally, this is an assumption with no science behind it...

And the fact that a supposed 50% advantage in wingloading remains completely invisible in actual live combat is particularly ludicrous: I have five separate examples of FW-190As out-turning Spitfires in slow speed sustained turns (right where my theory predicts the greatest advantage), two of them general pilot statements as to an overall FW-190A advantage in that area, and so far I have never found slow-speed sustained turn examples of the contrary in actual combat. That's five to zero. A mighty discrete 50% wingloading advantage...

Yes test and general pilot lore tells the opposite, but somehow when an actual specific combat happens, it is always the opposite that comes up... But in these things remember this: Any out-turning event for the FW-190A counts, while for the Spitfire it has to be demonstrably low-speed and sustained turns, with no diving or high speed just before: By this accounting it is five to zero for the Fw-190A so far...

Gaston

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2013, 07:46:41 PM »
And the fact that a supposed 50% advantage in wingloading remains completely invisible in actual live combat is particularly ludicrous: I have five separate examples of FW-190As out-turning Spitfires in slow speed sustained turns (right where my theory predicts the greatest advantage), two of them general pilot statements as to an overall FW-190A advantage in that area, and so far I have never found slow-speed sustained turn examples of the contrary in actual combat. That's five to zero. A mighty discrete 50% wingloading advantage..
How many examples are there of Spitfires out turning Fw190s in low speed sustained turns?  Have you looked?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-