Author Topic: Ultimate Screenshot Contest  (Read 7909 times)

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Ultimate Screenshot Contest
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2013, 06:13:13 PM »
300 plus people flying against each other in that one?  I imagine that's the trade off isn't it? 

The real trade off is that AH is still using a graphics and physics engine first developed in the 90s. Plus that screenshot wasn't meant to only illustrate the graphics but how a good camera perspective makes the screenshot.

AH also sadly lacks good free flowing camera for screenshots.

<S>...-Gixer

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2013, 11:07:18 PM »
beauty is in the eye of the beholder. there's no right or wrong way to do it or to present it. everyone has their own perspective of what is good and whats not,  when it comes to pictures. they're all good to the owner of each photo.

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2013, 11:14:47 PM »
I don't know... Gixer's screen shot would take my cake. I think it should be the new AH title screen.

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2013, 11:39:45 PM »
I must have lower expectations.   This was put together from another scenario film.  Real gun camera stills on the left, AH on the right.  Looks pretty good to me :)

Nice.

Seeing these screenies make me miss this old game..
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2013, 11:23:28 AM »
The real trade off is that AH is still using a graphics and physics engine first developed in the 90s. Plus that screenshot wasn't meant to only illustrate the graphics but how a good camera perspective makes the screenshot.

AH also sadly lacks good free flowing camera for screenshots.

<S>...-Gixer

It is impossible to get cool angles in the AH Film Viewer.

"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2013, 04:21:51 PM »
It is impossible to get cool angles in the AH Film Viewer.

I was gonna say something about it also.....I laughed when I read what he said......any angle can be gotten from the film viewer :rolleyes:

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2013, 05:50:45 PM »
The camera spins around a central point of axis which makes for restricted screenshots and movies. As per those examples you have just given to try and prove me wrong but both shots are with the camera rotating from a central point, hence both shots look very ordinary. Not considering the average graphics,terrain graphics, no Depth of Field etc

Film Viewer you can't move the camera freely to take images from any point to obtain different angles/perspectives.

I didn't say it was impossible I said it lacks a good free flowing camera..     :rolleyes:

<S>...-Gixer
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 05:55:04 PM by Gixer »

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2013, 06:01:36 PM »
The camera spins around a central point of axis which makes for restricted screenshots and movies. As per those examples you have just given to try and prove me wrong but both shots are with the camera rotating from a central point, hence both shots look very ordinary. Not considering the average graphics,terrain graphics, no Depth of Field etc

Film Viewer you can't move the camera freely to take images from any point to obtain different angles/perspectives.

I didn't say it was impossible I said it lacks a good free flowing camera..     :rolleyes:

<S>...-Gixer

Actually you can move the camera freely. Try it yourself: open the film you wanna take the SS, Press F1 then F8, now use the arrows in your keyboard and the numpad, position in whatever angle and free spot in the entire arena you wish.
here is another very old SS of mine

Totally not on the center but if you don't believe me just do what I said above.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 06:04:20 PM by Raphael »
Remember 08/08/2012
 Youtube videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/raphael103/featured
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2013, 06:03:25 PM »

Note that this plane has been updated, If I took this same SS these days it would look better.

EDIT: AH! also: there is now ground clutter!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 06:04:56 PM by Raphael »
Remember 08/08/2012
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2013, 06:19:13 PM »
You can also move the camera from the cockpit view just like you do to adjust head pos in game. In the film viewer when you do this there is no cockpit limit to stop you moving anywhere you want.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2013, 06:27:36 PM »
Example of what I mean by a free flowing camera for screenshots and more importantly good movies..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTmsfRly0As&playnext=1&list=PL173F7238A8867A65&feature=results_main

<S>...-Gixer

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2013, 07:12:16 PM »

I didn't say it was impossible I said it lacks a good free flowing camera..     :rolleyes:

<S>...-Gixer

Aside from better graphics, how is your P-51 photo artistically "superior"?
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2013, 07:22:26 PM »
Example of what I mean by a free flowing camera for screenshots and more importantly good movies..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTmsfRly0As&playnext=1&list=PL173F7238A8867A65&feature=results_main

<S>...-Gixer

Anyone of those shots could be done in the film view...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DhxgLkz4Ys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=_3azJjMlpHo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwTuFLHldWg

Would I like the film viewer updated with improved controls, sure. Multipoint tracking with a point of focus, where each curve is transition to smoothy with the option to change camera speed/acceleration between points. None of which was used in your link.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 07:29:22 PM by Fish42 »

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2013, 07:26:27 PM »
Remember 08/08/2012
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2013, 08:02:05 PM »
The Dive , excellent. Reminds me of the quality Niros used to make. Very nice Raph
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.