Author Topic: Boston Marathon explosions  (Read 2555 times)

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Boston Marathon explosions
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2013, 10:50:10 PM »
Yep having read about that guy he is an absolute legend  :salute

Also the low number of fatalities (as currently reported) speaks really well for the Boston medics imo
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 10:51:48 PM by coombz »
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline Perrine

• Nickel Member
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2013, 10:52:39 PM »
I recall browsing through AQ's "Inspire" magazine way back in 2010
https://publicintelligence.net/aqap-inspire-issue-10/

The incident in Boston to me really reeks new AQ tactics still at work that was highlighted in one of the Issues.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2013, 11:30:42 PM »
It's a good thing the attacker(s) made the error of setting off a bomb next to hundreds of trained medical professionals.  From the cops to the medical types at the runner's aid stations, there must have been a couple hundred people there within seconds who had some serious medical training for exactly this sort of thing.  Heck, I even saw a couple of uniformed soldiers/airmen helping out (after they ripped down the crowd control barrier that was preventing assistance from getting in and out).  From reports of the types of injuries sustained, a LOT more people would have died if they hadn't received medical treatment less than a minute after the blast.

How could other events be better prepared?  We already see those automatic electronic defibrillators hanging on the walls all over the place, so how about some compact trauma kits anywhere large numbers of people gather?  Based on the types of injuries we have seen in Iraq/Afghanistan from this exact type of improvised explosive device, they need nasopharyngeal airway tubes, battlefield compression bandages, battlefield tourniquets, quikclot gauze (magic stuff!), and gloves.  Battlefield studies have shown that just those items can prevent up to 80% of "savable" combat casualties if used immediately, because people can bleed out or asphyxiate in just a matter of minutes, long before trained medical personnel usually arrive.  The types of injuries sustained from these attacks are nearly identical to battlefield wounds.  Put those supplies on the walls next to the AEDs, and you could save a LOT of people if this happened at a more typical large event with more people and fewer medical personnel who could respond in seconds.  And it's pretty cheap too...  Those items can last a long time if packaged properly.

If he has face/head/neck injuries but nose and facial bones appear intact, stuff the airway tube down his nose to behind his tongue. 
If he is bleeding, apply compression bandage.
If he keeps bleeding, stuff in as much quikclot gauze as you can into the wound.  Stuff in the whole package.
If he keeps bleeding, apply tourniquet.
If its in a spot that can't be tourniquetted, more quikclot, more pressure, elevate (unless its the head), and pray.
If he is bleeding from the chest and its bubbling, use the wrapper from the compression bandage directly on the wound to seal it up, tape it down if you have tape, and then use the compression bandage to hold it in place.

There is another category of injury that military members now get routine training for, pneumothorax.  But that's some serious stuff poking people in the chest with a needle, and these relatively small terror bombs will probably only rarely cause a pneumothorax that can't wait until the ambulance shows up.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2013, 11:45:34 PM »
Grey shirt guy from the pic of the guy in the wheelchair with his leg blown off.
http://showyou.com/reddit/y:pWHHWB3Jr60

Anyone else want to smack the folks filming this guy and asking for pictures and get them to find him a blanket or something?  He's in shock after doing something amazing and they want pictures.  help the guy for heaven's sake.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2013, 11:49:27 PM »
Anyone else want to smack the folks filming this guy and asking for pictures and get them to find him a blanket or something?  He's in shock after doing something amazing and they want pictures.  help the guy for heaven's sake.

+1  too right!!!
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2013, 12:03:46 AM »
Man that is terrible for those invovled. More excuses to keep the perpetual war in the middle east going and potentialy start one in south East Asia.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2013, 01:46:28 AM »
To get slightly back on topic...

This is also a really moronic post.

Apparently it would be more frightening if this was a Korean attack on the US  :headscratch: I'm not a military expert myself, no, really? but I would have thought that if you are going to start a war (which is what a Korean attack on US soil would do) it would be better to attack a military target rather than a bunch of runners.

And if you are looking to incite a war, and curry support from your own people, and neighbouring countries by instigating disproportianate US retaliation, then it's an idea to hit civilian targets

Just shows how gullible and easily led some people are that this is one of the first things they think when an attack like this happens :(

"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2013, 02:19:46 AM »

+10000
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2013, 02:42:14 AM »

However the explosion wasn't massive, it didn't wipe out a whole block, or perhaps , two of the largest buildings in the world for example. I doubt we are looking at an organization, definitely not the Iranians or North Koreans. My bet would be on a homegrown Islamic extremist, or failing that an ultra right wing extremist perhaps fundamentalists protesting against the proposed gun control laws.

What makes you use that phrase so readily? Those that own guns and exercise that right are dangerous to you?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 02:58:38 AM by RotBaron »
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2013, 02:53:33 AM »
Fact:  At this time NO one knows who is responsible.  At this time accusing anyone of doing this deed is pure conjecture.

And dangerous, but don't look for an apology, there was none made after Tucson and Aurora for dangerous and grossly negligent mislabeling...
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2013, 03:54:34 AM »
re: Korea...   :O

And if you are looking to incite a war, and curry support from your own people, and neighbouring countries by instigating disproportianate US retaliation, then it's an idea to hit civilian targets

lol, yep, you're the expert!  :rock
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2013, 04:06:56 AM »
re: Korea...   :O

lol, yep, you're the expert!  :rock

Not purporting to be an expert on anything. Merely an observation.
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2013, 04:36:16 AM »
See Rule #14
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 09:41:11 AM by Skuzzy »
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2013, 05:37:35 AM »

What makes you use that phrase so readily? Those that own guns and exercise that right are dangerous to you?

Yes, they are. Too many don't secure their weapons, and too many talk freely about what they would do if given the "opportunity" to use them. Too many gun owners seem anxious to use those weapons, and that terrifies me.
Unfortunately, too often, what is permitted, or a "right" isn't right.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2013, 06:04:13 AM »

What makes you use that phrase so readily?
History?
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.