Author Topic: gonna do some baiting this weekend  (Read 1695 times)

Offline homersipes

• Silver Member
gonna do some baiting this weekend
« on: April 16, 2013, 07:48:24 PM »
a couple weeks ago someone tried to break into my garage, had my sled and boat and all my tools in it then.  One of the neighbors up the road had a bunch of gas stolen out of his garage, another house was broken into up the road less than half a mile from here, and last night my neighbor had his dirtbike stolen from inbetween our houses.  I live outside of the big part of town, but still in town so I am thinking its someone close by.  So my plan is to park both vehicles down in my field where they cant bee seen and leave my garage door open, put my sled up front and my 3 wheeler out next to the road and sit and see if anyone stops :devil :devil  now we are scared to leave our daughters toys outside, or for that matter leave the house at all.  they tried to break in in the daylight, so they have balls of steel.  Went and bought a lock so I could chain my boat to the fence, now I am scared that they will try to push it over the bank that's behind our house :uhoh  would trash it if they did

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
Re: gonna do some baiting this weekend
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 10:05:21 PM »
Call the State Police if the local PD is not helping.  They have several tools that they can use to see who comes by uninvited.  Be sure to mention you have had repeat offenses and are afraid for your safety.  That should guarantee a response.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 10:24:28 PM »
Many baby monitors have infra-red LEDs and see passably well in the dark, so you could set one up in your garage and then sit quietly inside watching the monitor with the baby monitor volume turned way up so you don't have to stare at it all night.  Someone ends up in your garage, walk in and if he's facing you, shoot him.  If there are multiple people, shoot anyone facing you while shouting to your imaginary backup to "get the other guy", to make sure anyone you don't shoot will end up running.

If you want to use "bait", leave your garage door open about a foot.

Use a shotgun to make sure you get some hits.  Wal-Mart often has a cheap Mossberg 12-ga pump on sale for under $150, and shotgun shells seem to be the only ammo still on the shelves.

Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline homersipes

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 10:31:15 PM »
 :rofl :rofl
yes the state police have been notified, had 2 sheriffs out at my house and 1 at my neighbors, they just take a report and that's it.  kinda irritating.  I told the cop if I catch them they wont be happy lol  I never thought about a baby monitor, but I was thinking about taking a webcam and hooking it up to my old laptop for a cheapo camera setup

Offline smoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 10:40:44 PM »
Actually what you most likely have is kids. What you need to do is of course 1st-contact your local PD, 2nd-Don't follow what eagl says  :rofl, 3rd-Ask around and let the other neighbors know what happen to your garage.

What I would do is ask around if a group of teenagers might be doing drugs. Stealing is how they get their money. Usually they are easy to spot. Look for a rental home/apartment with a lot of young adults going in and out. I just saw a episode of "World's Worst Tenants" and a lot of stolen items were discovered in an apartment on the show.

Please do keep us informed, chances are the problem won't go away by itself. Do setup a webcam and maybe hide the expensive/important stuff. They may hit people's houses next.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 10:44:23 PM by smoe »

Offline homersipes

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 10:51:24 PM »
right I mean if they are willing to try and break in during the daylight, who knows if they might try and break into my HOUSE or someone elses house.  or steal a car.  yes I agree its probably "kids".  yeah there was a daycare office that was converted to low income housing about 2 months ago :headscratch:hmmm coincidence? probably not lol.  kinda scares me to go to work and leave the wife and kid at home, although she is just as good of a shot as me :D 

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 11:11:13 PM »
I've been burgled a few times and it is always in broad daylight.  I'm positive it's safer for the thief as they can tell if anybody is home. (Ring doorbell with some excuse.) And if nobody is home then they are probably at work.  I'd be more escared of a night time burglar.  It is a total pain in the ass, my sympathies.
Pies not kicks.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 11:39:44 PM »
well also call a good attorney if anybody gets hurt while you are baiting.   specially when you post about your intent.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline homersipes

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 11:42:47 PM »
yuppers its a royal PITFA got my boat loced to a fence, pick up all daughters toys and lock them in the shed. sucks all the way around as I expect to get home at some point to have my house been broken into.  lol sad but true, if they get hurt breaking into house by even a broken window, can sue you :headscratch:

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 01:31:18 AM »
In the UK burglars fall down stairs a lot :old:

If you steal peoples things you should goto jail for 40 years :old:

Of course you should inform said people first its only fair, and obviously they can not complain afterwards because they were aware what would happen.

Then again its rather harsh on said unfortunates :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Hawker25

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 10:22:49 AM »
Most important thing is going to be good quality cameras recording.  Especially if it is kids.  You don't want to get into a he said she said situation.  Also do not remove the recoding device.  Call the PD and let them come and get it so they can establish a chain of evidence.  I would also casually let it be known around that you are using video surveillance at your place and put up a few signs mentioning this in your yard.  Burglars are not scared of alarms but they are scared of being caught on tape.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 10:42:00 AM »

I laugh at those that think the Police will be much help.   :rofl  :rolleyes:

My house was broken into while my wife was at the store for 30 min.
 She called 911 when she got back as there was a possibility the thief was still there. As she waited outside I arrived home from work after she had called me and was there a good 45 min before the first cop arrived.
  They dusted for fingerprints and filled out some papers and left. I took it apon myself to search local pawnshops and managed to find some of her antique Jewelery. We got some back and found out who the perp was as they were caught on camera at the bank next to the Pawnshop.

BTW most pawnshops are scum and not willing to help you until you state there is a police investigation ongoing. They know the stuff is stolen when they give 40 bucks for a 1000 dollar ring.  :furious
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline smoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 11:16:43 AM »
     BTW most pawnshops are scum and not willing to help you until you state there is a police investigation ongoing. They know the stuff is stolen when they give 40 bucks for a 1000 dollar ring.  :furious

I wonder about the pawnshops myself. I see this issue on various TV programs. Drug addicts steal and sell stuff to the pawnshops for a quick fix.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 01:04:55 PM »
One of my burgles I got some stuff back from a pawn shop, the thief had used his real ID to pawn it so I think I got it back because it was evidence. Here in screw loose Oregon if your stuff shows up in a pawn shop it's a civil matter and you have to reimburse the pawn for the money they let out if you want your stuff back. As far as I am concerned pawnshops are nothing but legal fences. As long as they submit a form with a cryptic description "Makita type drill" and obey a short delay before selling there are no consequences to handling stolen merch.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 01:06:42 PM »
Buy a surveillance system from Newegg for 250 and be done with it . I love mine . I see all kind's of stuff around 3 in the morning out here in the sticks . There great .
Pawnshop's should be out lawed ! and they would be if the police did not use them to catch people .
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!