Author Topic: Dumping Ammo Before Takeoff  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
Dumping Ammo Before Takeoff
« on: April 19, 2013, 01:46:31 PM »
It would not hurt if we could more easily dump excess ammo. Yes some of us do this (.303s, 7mm etc) before taking off.

Simply having check boxes for each ammo type defaulting to Enabled for instance.
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Dumping Ammo Before Takeoff
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 02:19:52 PM »
Better would be for people to understand how little a difference dumping the ammo makes.  Also, you never know, those rifle caliber rounds might end up making the difference.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 02:33:06 PM »
It would not hurt if we could more easily dump excess ammo. Yes some of us do this (.303s, 7mm etc) before taking off.

Simply having check boxes for each ammo type defaulting to Enabled for instance.

Idiocy.  Ignorance.  Gamey.  Those are the three words that describes those people who actually think "dumping" the rear 8mm's in the 110, the .30's in the Mossi, rear 13mm's in the 410, etc, will help them turn tighter, roll better, or actually win a battle easier.  Dumb dumb dumb.  The benefits of the wee extra firepower outweigh the few ounces of weight gained by "dumping" it.  If people actually think being a few lbs lighter is the difference than winning, losing, running away successfully, etc, then they should not have been in that predicament in the first place.  AND... instead of dumping ammo, fly around for another 2-3 mins before engaging.  Burn the fuel off, dont dump the ammo.  

Don't dump the ammo, use it. I've lost count of the number of aircraft that I've given a bloody nose to (oiled engine, PW, etc), and they gave up the fight or broke off their attack long enough for me to get my main guns on them for 2nd, 3rd, or 4th chance to shoot them down.  
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 02:40:26 PM by SmokinLoon »
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 02:53:32 PM »
Forget just a bloody nose, I've outright killed enemies with the four.303s on the Mossie and Spitfire Mk IX.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 03:03:33 PM »
Ammo doesn't give you a meaningful improvement vs its ability to kill although for the way I fly it, I wish I could tell the crew chief to just remove the 13mm guns in the front of the 109K4.  I never shoot em.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 03:11:05 PM »
Too complex. Just have a weight selection slider in the hangar.  The AI "crew chief" will choose what to delete from your plane to achieve the desired weight: fuel, oil, ammo, armor, etc.

;)

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 03:19:21 PM »
Too complex. Just have a weight selection slider in the hangar.  The AI "crew chief" will choose what to delete from your plane to achieve the desired weight: fuel, oil, ammo, armor...

... pilot  :devil
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 04:44:12 PM »

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 04:53:42 PM »
You haven't lived until you see a team mate dumping his pintle and coax ammunition of his Panzer. Yes, this actually happens.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 05:04:01 PM »
Someone awhile back (snailman?) did the math.. all the ammo in the tail gun of the 110 weighs as much as something like 2 minutes of fuel. LOL

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 05:08:21 PM »
how much did the ammo in the bf110 weight?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 05:12:51 PM »
Someone awhile back (snailman?) did the math.. all the ammo in the tail gun of the 110 weighs as much as something like 2 minutes of fuel. LOL

Wasn't me, but the number is correct, it's just under 2mins at WEP (20% longer at MIL)

Rear gun ammo is 98lbs, that's 0.56% of the takeoff weight of a 50% fuel 110G with big gun package and without any ords.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 05:26:55 PM »

there is one equation you guys forget and that is the mind.  if you believe that something you do gives you an edge then who cares what others think.  it is like when people talk about "two pilots of equal skill"  but forget that there isnt such thing.  there are no pilots of equal skill, not in aces high and not in real life either.

if somebody believes that spending the tail ammo gives you and edge, who are you guys to say that it doesnt?  you can bring all kinds of facts but you can never discount the edge your mind gives you.

it's like when you play your favorite airplane because you believe it gives you an edge over others.  seriously?  is it the airplane itself or your belief that that airplane is better or a combination of both that gives you the edge?

if it was the airplane itself, you would never be able to out turn a zero in most airplanes.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 05:32:17 PM »
Thanks all for you nice feedback.  :aok

I am not here to debate weight vs. plane performance vs. mental stability vs. whatever.

To me sometimes I find myself in a position where a 5% difference (or less) makes all the difference.  With my hardware, skill, knowledge etc.

I am not demanding or being abnoxious in this request. My exact words were "It would not hurt if we could more easily dump excess ammo."

Since thanks.  :salute
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 05:33:44 PM »
My exact words were "It would not hurt if we could more easily dump excess ammo."

But that's wrong. It perpetuates ignorance, which hurts us all.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.