Author Topic: Tour of Duty  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
Tour of Duty
« on: April 24, 2013, 06:54:02 PM »
I remember many many years ago there were plans to go forward with a new style of play for Aces High.  "Tour of Duty" which to my understanding would provide scheduled skirmishes and battles.  I for one was very disappointed when that implementation was cancelled. 

Was the fairly recent implementation of staged missions the first steps in resurrecting Tour of Duty?

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Tour of Duty
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 07:08:27 PM »
That's just features / developments parts of/for TOD being put into use, not a TOD resurrection. As I understand it, quite a few things originally meant for TOD made it to 'regular' AH.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 07:10:53 PM »
I'm still waiting for a date specific rolling planeset to guarantee more realistic opposing planes.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 07:14:54 PM »
Icepak's got a new avatar !  :rock
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 07:53:45 PM »
I'm still waiting for a date specific rolling planeset to guarantee more realistic opposing planes.

Thankfully, we'll never see a RPS in the main arenas.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 08:52:30 PM »

Spend 4 days in EW 4 days in MW then 4 days in LW..

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 08:57:42 PM »

LOL, Zoney is my friend :)

Offline Frod

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 09:43:23 PM »
What?  Wait 37 minutes till next sortie and die in 10 seconds?  Not for me.  10 seconds...that's how long I was logged onto the new Russian WWII aviation game waiting for "scheduled" play.  Nah.

Offline xbrit

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 11:15:09 PM »
What?  Wait 37 minutes till next sortie and die in 10 seconds?  Not for me.  10 seconds...that's how long I was logged onto the new Russian WWII aviation game waiting for "scheduled" play.  Nah.
I know what you mean, that game is now deleted from my PC.

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 12:12:02 AM »
You guys don't fly FSO?   It's the best part of this game IMHO.

I envision it to be similar to that arena, with scheduled launches every hour on the hour... obviously after most die in 10 seconds they would go back to the MA to continue that cycle.

Could even help promote flying there with a larger perk bonus than the MA, and could spend perks flying slightly better aircraft than the current planeset layout.
_____

HTC, is it possible to script staged missions to start in an arena at a certain time via cron or something similar, and participants to select a side via the menu rather than being assigned from the staged mission editor admin?

Just some more ideas.

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 12:36:26 AM »
You guys don't fly FSO?   It's the best part of this game IMHO.

I envision it to be similar to that arena, with scheduled launches every hour on the hour... obviously after most die in 10 seconds they would go back to the MA to continue that cycle.

Could even help promote flying there with a larger perk bonus than the MA, and could spend perks flying slightly better aircraft than the current planeset layout.
_____

HTC, is it possible to script staged missions to start in an arena at a certain time via cron or something similar, and participants to select a side via the menu rather than being assigned from the staged mission editor admin?

Just some more ideas.

We are champing at the bit to get this for AvA. Maybe we can do "combat tour lite"
someday.

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 12:43:28 AM »
We are champing at the bit to get this for AvA. Maybe we can do "combat tour lite"
someday.
Sounds awesome :salute

Regards,

Pandemonium

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 04:40:11 AM »
You guys don't fly FSO? 

No, never. :)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 08:57:10 AM »

Actually a very old avatar I used elsewhere since 1996.

King Kong snatching the biplane out of the air doesn't work well in that small a pic.

I'm using dad's squadron insignia now.

I don't expect many here to understand how the rolling planeset with planes introduced on thier dates of action can generate interest but it is fun being in the arena and noticing your favorite plane has been added because of the "rolling".

You wouldn't need ENY.

As it is, we have multiple arenas that sit empty for 90% of the time and are sparsely populated at best during peak hours............most often by perk farmers.

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 09:09:41 AM »
No, never. :)

Holy Hannah... I am guessing the time offset for you and FSO is tough to manage to say the least, but to me, FSO is GAME DAY for AH...  that's where its at.

Scenarios are like the playoffs/Super Bowl....  :rock
In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.