Author Topic: Unperk the Mosquito Mk. XVI  (Read 1122 times)

Offline tuton25

• Nickel Member
Unperk the Mosquito Mk. XVI
« on: April 27, 2013, 01:25:22 PM »
I don't see why it is, as its only advantage is speed....
I know that at high altitude it is untouchable but with so many well armed, unperked, heavy bombers most don't bother using it...
It's not that hard for me to get 20-30 perk needed to fly it but the fact it is unarmed and doesn't have a huge bombload makes me wonder why it is perked///
><))))*> Da Fish is in Da Fight

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Unperk the Mosquito Mk. XVI
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 01:31:20 PM »
Then'd you have the best suicidal jabo in the game.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 01:31:32 PM »
You gave the perfect reasons yourself in your posting. Speed at altitude. Climb quick to 27k, race to the strats, drop your cookie and race home. If that's not perk worthy...  :uhoh

I mean, the same could be said abaout the Arado "hey, it's just fast!"

By the way, "not a huge bombload" isn't exactly correct either. 5K of bombs is just 1k less than a B-17 carries. It's more than the Arado has, and if you compare that to another 'fast' bomber, the Ki-67...

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline tuton25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 01:42:48 PM »
With the new HC bombs the 234 and the mossie 16 are about equal when it comes to bombload, but the 234 is about 100mph faster at <12,000 ft and most fighters can catch a mossie at that altitude....
Snailman....when it comes to strat runs you are the king, but I could do far more damage in less time useing lancasters than hopping back and fourth between a forward with mossies all day....
I never take mossies to the strats anyway because every time I do I either get killed by the ack or jumped by a fighter....
><))))*> Da Fish is in Da Fight

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 01:51:25 PM »
I never take mossies to the strats anyway because every time I do I either get killed by the ack or jumped by a fighter....

You are doing it wrong then.

The main difference between Lancs and Mossie is that they are simply much easier to intercept. Yes, if a fighter awaits you over the starts you are in deep dodo.
But the high speed at alt of the Mossie makes that chance quite small, as there are actually few players patrolling the strats just in case. Most strat interceptors only take off when a bomber is spotted. And while that may still be in time to catch a Lanc before it drops, it's definitely too late to get a Mossie cruising ~330 mph at 27k. (Yes... you do not fly the unarmed Moss to the strats at only 12k, unless you want to get shot down)

I may also add that the loadout of the Mossie is superior to the Ar-234 in terms of factory busting since the 4k bombs was changed from GP to HC. The Arado is still much faster, but also higher perked.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 01:53:08 PM by Lusche »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 01:55:33 PM »
A final thought: There is another gameplay issue to be considered: The Mossie is unarmed, so it's totally depending on avoiding hostile contacts. Avoiding any combat all all costs is surely not something that should be encouraged on a global level too much.
The perk price is putting a limit to that as well.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 02:13:31 PM »
A laden Ar234 loses more of its speed than does a Mossie due to the fully external nature of the Ar234's bomb load. The Mossie also has better range.

It is very difficult to intercept a Mosquito Mk XVI when it is used correctly.

And yes, if it were free I foresee a lot of suicide Mossies.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Clone155

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 03:01:55 PM »
163s seem to kill them pretty easily.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 03:26:50 PM »
163s seem to kill them pretty easily.
Yup, but that is the only fighter for which that is true, and those are geographically limited.

They also kill Ar234s pretty well.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 03:33:24 PM »
Yup, but that is the only fighter for which that is true, and those are geographically limited.

No. I've killed Mossie 16's above 30k in a P47N, a 190D, a ME262 (at 34k), and a 109K.

I am not agreeing to unperk the Mossie 16 would be a good idea, because as has been mentioned they must avoid combat to survive.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 03:35:24 PM »
No. I've killed Mossie 16's above 30k in a P47N, a 190D, a ME262 (at 34k), and a 109K.

I am not agreeing to unperk the Mossie 16 would be a good idea, because as has been mentioned they must avoid combat to survive.
I was not saying the Me163 is the only fighter that can kill a Mossie XVI.  I was saying it is the only one that can do it with ease.

The P-47M is no threat at all unless it is prepositioned, same with the Bf109K-4 and Spitfire Mk XIV.  The P-47N is a larger threat, as is the Ta152H-1.

As an example, I have lost a single Mosquito XVI to a Bf109K-4.  He met me over the target and, in a long tail chase, eventually caught me.  I chatted him after he got me to see how close I had come to getting away.  He said he ran out of fuel 1 minute after shooting me down.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 03:37:26 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline MrGeezer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 04:34:34 PM »
Please leave the Mossie 16 as it is.

Thank you.
Killing Virtual Bad Guys Since 1995  Disabled, retired.

"Posting anything, which says anything positive about anyone, on our board, will always turn into a derogatory mess. It should be a forum posting rule."  Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 05:17:51 PM »
No.  I say leave the Mossi B Mk 16 perked right where it is at and add a small perk to the Lancs, B24's, and B17's.   :aok
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 05:20:23 PM »
OP was born yesterday?
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 05:24:44 PM »
If the OP wants an unperked Mossie bomber he ought to ask for the Mosquito B.Mk IV be added to AH.  It wouldn't be perked in the LWA.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-